Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 09:16 AM

911 posts, read 590,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which comment leads me to believe that all the "experts" on state service, operations and finances/fiscal issues have never experienced them from the "inside" yet are not loath to pontificate about them ad nauseum as if they have first-hand experience. Interesting!
Yes it certainly is interesting and curious isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 01:59 PM

254 posts, read 193,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Its a great theory. Fly in the ointment is, according to you, the best people won't work in government because the pays too low. But if we pay them any higher then people complain we lose efficiency. Sounds like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Only place toturn for excellent advice on management is experts offering it free on internet forums. All makes perfect sense doesnt it?
No, that's not the fly in the ointment, actually. The fly in the ointment is that in a government job you get relentlessly paid and promoted based on factors not related to performance. Therefore, performance is nearly irrelevant and therefore anyone who was interested in getting ahead based on performance would immediately ignore a government job. In contrast, government jobs have almost built-in job security, built-in raises, and built-in pensions and benefits. So it would obviously and naturally attract people who don't care about performance and want guaranteed comfort.

I hope this clarifies the world for you.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
The only thing clarified is that you haven't followed your own line of thought in this response. You say up to 90% of government can and should be eliminated as inefficient total waste as the government fails to put the best people in charge.
It's odd because you tried to portray my position as a "Catch-22" and then I explained how your portrayal of it was false and then you re-wrote your original claim, almost as if you lacked basic functional literacy in English.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Without public sector unions fighting for the common man
are you kidding me? advocacy groups fight for the common man but not public sector unions nor the private sector unions. all unions work for their own benefits and not for the common man

if they truly for the common man, there would be no Calpers and every employee would be contributing to the SS and 401k or IRA.

everybody knows all these projected deficits are about pension liabilities. if they are really for the common man, they would acknowledge that this situation is unsustainable and need to be addressed by them too

Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Yup. Lots of it goes to pensions. Relative worked 30 years in LA riding around in a golf cart issuing tickets on expired parking meters. Started out of high school and did 30 years. Honest work but obviously not rocket science. Last salary per year 120k. Yearly pension check 72 k. And she's in her early 50's.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Sustainability is the real crux of the issue.

Where will the money come from or is it really just another giant Ponzi Scheme?

I've noticed a distinct difference in "Pension" families vs not having a pension...

Not much reason to save a lot for a rainy day when Income is guaranteed.

I think looking back we will see the a post WWII period that was truly unique in history.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yup. Lots of it goes to pensions. Relative worked 30 years in LA riding around in a golf cart issuing tickets on expired parking meters. Started out of high school and did 30 years. Honest work but obviously not rocket science. Last salary per year 120k. Yearly pension check 72 k. And she's in her early 50's.
So you are saying that a Los Angeles DOT Traffic Officer earns 120k a year? That's weird because transparent California shows the highest paid employee max salary of that position at 62K or just about half of what you are claiming. Maybe your relative lied to you?
'traffic officer' search results | Transparent California

Old 07-29-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Sustainability is the real crux of the issue.

Where will the money come from or is it really just another giant Ponzi Scheme?

I've noticed a distinct difference in "Pension" families vs not having a pension...

Not much reason to save a lot for a rainy day when Income is guaranteed.

I think looking back we will see the a post WWII period that was truly unique in history.
There are two issues:

The pragmatic issue is sustainability. The philosophical issue is whether it's right, sustainable or not.

It could be sustained, of course, since it is always possible for 95% of the people to sustain 5%. The question then moves to whether it is right. The people who receive the pensions say yes and so therefore, since it is right to them, then it must be sustained at all costs. Then you have people saying "why, if you just gave a bit more ..." and showing pictures of some old lady and going "do you want Aida Mae to go hungry??" Meanwhile, they conveniently leave out the part about how you already pay hundreds of billions of dollars for pensions and benefits and Aida Mae has been getting her pension for 30 years.

The fact is that the vast majority of people live and survive without a pension. But for some odd reason, if you present that scenario to government employees or unions workers, it's like a death sentence like "what?? Here, take this gun. Go ahead, shoot me now! Do it!" But they have no problem in literally bankrupting your entire state. It's like "what, you don't want your state bankrupted? Well, I guess you could always pay more taxes ..."

Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So you are saying that a Los Angeles DOT Traffic Officer earns 120k a year? That's weird because transparent California shows the highest paid employee max salary of that position at 62K or just about half of what you are claiming. Maybe your relative lied to you?
You shouldn't have posted that because you just destroyed yourself. Let me demonstrate with the first listing.

George E Gonzalez: Regular pay: $62,758, OVERTIME PAY $114,809, Total pay: $183,125

Don't believe me? Click on his profile, it expands to show it. Bonus: that page states that "total benefits only includes health benefits. Retirement benefits were not provided." In other words, his total listed pay plus benefits is actually an understatement of what he gets. Total pay with benefits are listed as $194,549. And he's a traffic cop. So he makes more than many doctors, lawyers, and engineers in America. And he's one guy in one city in California.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 PM

95 posts, read 94,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Wow, that list is truly astonishing. With overtime most of those officers make close to 6 figures and then get an equally-huge pension for 30+ years. No way can the pension fund (especially in this era of low interest rates) generate enough of a return to cover all of those employees entering retirement.

And I decided to click around at other jobs and I am speechless. I never knew you could make more than most doctors just by getting a government job. I now know the salaries of some of my friends and relatives who still whine how tough their jobs are. I don't think they understand how others are compensated outside of their government job.

Last edited by maiamom; 07-29-2016 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California