Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:49 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Ummm....not really! (if you're referring to Donald vs. Hillary)

Both are corporatist scum. One just lies and pretends to be more "compassionate" corporatist scum. The other inadvertently admits to what he is every time he opens his mouth.
Bulltweet.

One is a narcissistic, mysoginistic, racist, born spoiled wealthy and remaining blindly materialistic, sociopathic moron.

The other is a traditional, but brilliant, political conniver in a long tradition of that distasteful art and science - who, as the art and science both have always gone, rarely actually lies but cleverly obfuscates as necessary to accomplish goals, aligns herself as necessary with the progressive ideologies that are the clear evolution that all developing societies follow throughout history and around the globe, while taking advantage of corporate alliances as necessary -- but who also does what she does without denigrating veterans, the disabled, women, racial and religious cultures, or individuals she simply doesn't like.

One can rightly be identified as a continuation of a common, distasteful tradition humanity has managed to live with, but in advancing conditions, for thousands of years - the other is a threat to the world in every respect through ignorance, lack of character, and blatant mental disorders.

There is a world of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
^^^^^ Now I'm going to vote for Alfred E. Newman!

Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 AM

214 posts, read 214,533 times
Quote:
The irony here is to sit and ponder -- for a moment -- on how many of these CalPERS beneficiaries are right-wing refugees now living in places like Idaho, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada. These are the same people who will harp on and on, ad nauseum, how they "fled" the state to avoid high taxes, while leaving those of us in California with the bill for their exorbitant retirements. Strangely, they never seem to be able to process the connection between themselves and the financial mess they leave behind.

I think it's time for the State of California to consider taxing CalPERS checks that get mailed out of state so we can start getting this thing under control, once-and-for-all!

If these right-wing refugee pensioners don't like it, they can always move back and keep contributing! Isn't their whole credo based on "contributing" and not shelling out "handouts"???
Let's do it.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^^^^^ Now I'm going to vote for Alfred E. Newman!
There are lots of great write-in options. Alfred at least near top of list. But also Pat Paulson and the Smother Brothers, among many more.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
This thread has a bit of a Chicken Little tone. There will be years of actuarial loss. 2009-2015 were years of tremendous gain. So it happens.

Secondly, the pensions aren't as generous as they once were. Right around 2011-2012 the pension formulas changed. The retirement age is about 5 years later and the formula is lower. So those savings will kick in over time as more new employees are hired.

I also not thrilled with Governor Brown and the overwhelmingly Democratic legislature. My beef are the gas taxes and the strict auto emission regulations. And the Unions are too political.
Exactly, I have to work until I'm 61 to get the most pension and they decreased our percentage to 2.5%. I don't know if Ima make it to working that long grrrr

Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sure you are.

As for the rest, having spent 20 years as a political and legislative analyst for the state working directly with, not for, the Legislature, I am a well-schooled and experienced expert on the subject. Thank you for recognizing that. How very astute of you.

Good so you know what I'm saying is true.

Quote:
Because of course, no one actually living in California is intelligent and aware enough to have figured this out for themselves. How altruistic of you
Are you kidding me? There are literally half a dozen post in this very thread where people are defending CalPERs and the tax burden it puts on California taxpayers. Are you blind?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one "pays back" an actuarial loss Per GASB you report actuarial losses or gains, but you don't "pay them back" any more than you would issue refunds if there were actuarial gains in a pension plan.
Oh really? So what happens to the actuarial losses for CalPERs if the fund doesn't recover the $42 billion it lost in the past 2 years? Who covers the deficit? What happens in 10 years if the fund doesn't meet 7.5% every year and it doesn't have enough money to cover pensions?

Does 2sleepy rub her genie lamp and start paying those pensions herself?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Right. And exactly. Your desire is to "bring up recent news about ..." to taunt and ridicule and gloat. There is no productive purpose. To any of your posts. In any threads. At any times. Which is why I pointed out that you fit certain profiles of both internet use and psychological condition.

As I have observed numerous times before in various threads, your story of who you are doesn't make a lick of sense. Here you are spending hours of each day writing "neener neener neener" to strangers who can't ever in any universe actually benefit you. Yet you say you are an entrepreneurial owner / operator of a business that turns out "8-figure annual income (or was it 10-figure?)" with a multi-million dollar payroll of 70+ employees including tech engineers, etc etc. Drive a Ferrari to work. Blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda ... etc. What you are describing is an highly driven, type A personality. People such as you fictionalize yourself to be don't waste time chatting aimlessly hours of each day with strangers who have no benefit to the drive.

Now, besides the obvious ruse, your taunts and ridicule are particularly humorous because they are typically based on false equivalencies, logical falacies, and non-sequiturial sensational statistics that have no relevance to the topic when isolated, as you present them, from complex paradigms.

It's frankly rather delightful to watch you dodge and weave thinking all the while you are out maneuvering those who call BS to your nonsense. Very much an Emperor With No Clothes pageant. Great entertainment for me anyway.
Yet here you are, following me around, writing novellas about me. You're my biggest fan! "Do as I say not as I do" right Tuley?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I think it's time for the State of California to consider taxing CalPERS checks that get mailed out of state so we can start getting this thing under control, once-and-for-all!

Great suggestion!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
I think people are feeling like a criticism of California government is a criticism of all left wing philosophy. Which in some cases may be true, but not in mine. I am left wing, and a moderate liberal. But I think our pension system for government servants is not sustainable. At the very least, we need to change it to defined contribution going forward. It should be a 401(k) account, paid out by the employee's bank, not the State. And we definitely need to get rid of unions for government servants. They should be paid what the state can afford in terms of salary and benefits. No I did not vote for Jerry Brown. I voted for Meg Whitman, the republican and former CEO of eBay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California