Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

As a military brat I went to many schools, both public and private in several states and two countries, here and Japan in Yokosuka and Tokyo. This was in the early 50s and 60s. All I remember is that school let out in early June and we returned in early to mid-September. Summer vacation was three months of prime, summertime bliss. Now it appears to be a mess. How sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As a military brat I went to many schools, both public and private in several states and two countries, here and Japan in Yokosuka and Tokyo. This was in the early 50s and 60s. All I remember is that school let out in early June and we returned in early to mid-September. Summer vacation was three months of prime, summertime bliss. Now it appears to be a mess. How sad!
Doesn't bother me, I am out of school.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Well, what do you know? The L.A. Board of Education voted to start schools closer to Labor Day.
L.A. Board of Education votes to move school start closer to Labor Day - LA Times
I also just heard about this on the radio. Interestingly this is the first time I hear of a school district in CA reversing its decision to start earlier. Though this has happened in other states and districts around the country i.e Texas. Info can be found on Early School Start

I hear that LAUSD happens to be the big gorilla that greatly influences the surrounding districts' decision on school calendar planning. It appears that many suburban districts waited until LAUSD made its move to start schools in mid August before embracing the earlier start dates themselves. Therefore its interesting to see if LAUSD's decision to return to a later start cause many suburban districts to start later as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California