Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I dunno about that, Winco's not bad... they contribute the equivalent of 20% of each employees salary into ESOP (employee stock option plan)...
Not bad, especially for unskilled work.

CostCo's average checker salary is $16/hour...
The Best 5 Grocery Companies To Work For (WFM, COST) | Investopedia

Union workers in Southern California supermarkets are already the second-highest-paid retail workers in the region, right below Costco employees: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...nap-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 08:49 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Etc. etc. etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
It's incredibly good. In fact, I can't think of a private sector company that offers ANYTHING close to that in terms of its generosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope Politicians and Gov't Union workers get better deals than any other working group.
Quote:
Yes some do very well, but they are the minority. Gov't workers do well virtually across the board and not dependent on how well the State does as if it does poorly they still get paid, but if a business does poorly, well...... any funds drop. In addition those plans can go bankrupt, but State's can't. Tax payers in effect guarantee it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Not to mention the medical benefits while employed. That's an enormous cost to the state as well since the benefits are so good. I looked at the medical benefits offered for your average state CalPERs member worker, and it's easily 1/4 to 1/5 of total compensation based on dollar value. These CalPERs/CalSTRS medical plans are ridiculously generous.
Etc, etc, etc, etc. Quite a conversation you guys are enjoying. Very much commonplace complaining, holding the 'private sector' up as a grand and deserving benchmark for all compensation standards. Curious how so many never question private sector values. Private sector ambition and product and productivity are gold. Public service is manure. Public service should never be compensated as well or better than private - even though private sector success relies entirely on societal structuring and management and enforcement.

Once you leave the egalitarian cultures of primitive societies you enter into the requirement of governmental control. There is no option. One kind of government or another is ALWAYS present, and without which there is no private venture.

Looking down on public service is quite the sport, isn't it? It simply doesn't "produce" anything of value? Eh? Hilariously short-sighted. Your private ventures exist at the pleasure of social structuring.

Now, you can rant and rant about all the silly offices, committees, and departments in government filled with drones performing mindless tasks of minutia - and your observation that so much of that is, well, silly, would be substantially correct.

By the same token, we can observe that nearly everything conceived, produced, and marketed by private sector activity is also completely unnecessary and more often than not toxic in one way or another. Crap. Garbage. Material vacuousness. Humanity survived and thrived for hundreds of thousands of years without pretty much anything that the private sector now has created human addiction and fealty to.

I'm not arguing against materialism - though I personally indulge very little in it. I'm merely pointing out that your values are diseased. One labor and pursuit is as good or as silly as another. One man's worth is no greater than another's.

We're all just doing time here in life. Best rule is: do no harm. And get over judging each others' value.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
You agreed:highest average annual compensation earnable during any 36 consecutive months.

Next the Gov't pensions are also paid by you and I because ALL their money comes from taxes/fees on ... things we make, buy, sell. We pay it all. And if they have a problem with paying the pensions the people get to make up the difference through tax money, etc. If my savings go down and my income goes down, ... I still have to find a way to make the money and Gov't pension do not. They do not make it or do with less, they take it from ... us.
sounds like pension envy to me

Old 10-21-2016, 01:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
sounds like pension envy to me
Nope, I have no "pension" per se, I have 3 business and several patents and other technology, all of which is making me the money I need now and will at retirement. I, in effect, invested in myself.

Uniquely I wanted to be a teacher but after High School I had to get a job to help support my mother and I.

I did work for the US Government for several years, but quit and eventually started my own business and then started more. Am I "Rich/Wealthy", no, but I have enough to care for my wife and help our families and help others in need. That is enough.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:01 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Quote:

I did work for the US Government for several years, but quit and eventually started my own business and then started more. Am I "Rich/Wealthy", no, but I have enough to care for my wife and help our families and help others in need. That is enough.
You mean you stopped living off of other people and started to support yourself.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You mean you stopped living off of other people and started to support yourself.
True, and supporting others as in my employees. In fact hundreds of business exist today because of the technology I created.

Note; Gov't workers in general are just people like you and me and the many I have dealt with in CA have been good and helpful.

It is the power structure that has the problem. Even the employees are a bit of a slave to the unions. After all, a Republican or Libertarian worker has his union dues used to support Democrat candidates.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
True, and supporting others as in my employees. In fact hundreds of business exist today because of the technology I created. Note; Gov't workers in general are just people like you and me and the many I have dealt with in CA have been good and helpful.
It is the power structure that has the problem. Even the employees are a bit of a slave to the unions. After all, a Republican or Libertarian worker has his union dues used to support Democrat candidates.
I'm pretty sure that Unions would support Republicans if destroying them was not part of their party platform

Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post
When I lived in Palo Alto from 1964-1970 one of my neighbors was a teacher. His wife was a home maker and he had 3 children. He was doing just fine and even managed to buy a brand new Chevrolet in 1964. An impala no less! He just had to do some scrimping and saving for an eichler near mine and he was set. In fact I think he owned that home until he died in 2008. Anything is possible if you believe in good old American hard work!
1964 was 53 years ago!

That's long before Silicon Valley Technology settled there, and long before the Foreign investors came swooping in to grab up our real estate.!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:51 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
1964 was 53 years ago!

That's long before Silicon Valley Technology settled there, and long before the Foreign investors came swooping in to grab up our real estate.!

there should be more than that. for example, what was the tax burden before and what benefits the citizens get compared to today?

what changed?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Unions would support Republicans if destroying them was not part of their party platform
Not destroying, controlling them as in CA they are out of control as they own the politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California