Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 AM

409 posts, read 485,838 times

Advertisements

It sounds like your budget is going to be an issue. California is expensive especially along the coast. I haven't checked home prices lately, but last time I did you will need at least $500K and most likely more for a small cottage.

I just did a search in Morrow Bay and the least expensive single family home is $379K. It's a 1/1 with 720 sf and I don't find it, or the street it's on the least bit charming. Another search, this time Capitola finds that the lowest priced single family home is $729K for a 2/1 with 630 sf. This home has some charm on the outside, but needs some work on the inside. So, this is the price for a fixer upper on a nice street that has cute houses.

These are both highly-desirable towns. There won't be lots of high paying jobs. As someone mentioned, you would most likely need to work in San Luis Obispo if you lived in Morro Bay. Capitola would be more difficult since most jobs would be on the other side of the Santa Cruz mountains in the Silicon Valley. It's a terrible drive that I've done plenty of times. People do it, but I wouldn't want to long term.

You haven't indicated what your budget constraints are, so answering your questions is like taking a shot in the dark. If all you can afford in a mortgage is the $1,100 you alluded to for a rental, then I think California coast is out of the question. In that case, you should be looking at Florida, or perhaps another southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,554,945 times
Telemutt probably had the best suggestions. I'm just wondering why, exactly, you aren't just moving to Cape Cod or Cape May if those are the ideal? I don't think I've seen a reason stated in the thread.

Another suggestion is to do more on-the-ground research and come to your own conclusions about an area. If you run away from a place that seems perfect because "someone told you" there is a lot of crime, it's going to be a while before you settle anywhere.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,154,203 times
Point Reyes National Seashore, Marin County near San Francisco.

Both Cape Cod and Point Reyes are a national seashore, with some historic homes and lighthouses) a on peninsula jutting out, within easy day trip distance of a major, cosmopolitan city. (Point Reyes even has sandy dunes too).

Catalina would west coast version of Nantucket, however (huge sailing culture) . (The Bay Area doesn't really have any significant islands out towards the Ocean (not talking about in the Bay).

Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM

55 posts, read 105,192 times
My best friend just moved to SLO and I would happy to live there. But her rich parents bought her a house. Im a single woman who will be supporting myself on just my income. Ive made $58,000 a year previously but in the the areas that pay high income the rent is outrageous and all your income goes to rent, leaving nothing to live on. Ive looked for homes in SLO (homes to buy $300K or less and apartment to rent $1200-$1300 and it doesnt seem to exist). Another SLO issue is that being a college town I worry about job competition with kids with no real life experience willing to work for practically nothing. I feel like not living in a college town would have more job opportunities for an professionally expereinced woman like myself.

Someome mentioned Newport beach not having quite charming houses. Which is untrue. If you drive to the wedge (as locals call it) there are tons of homes with that cap cod/ cape may charm, with little white picket fences and cute bikes in the front yard with flowers in the basket. But even small Newport homes are usually millions because of the perfect year round weather and location with perfect beaches. So its out of the question unless I become a laywer and marry a doctor!

Im willing to leave the west coast if I must to find something in my price range. I need to be able to support myself on $20/hr jobs (in the west coast area). Of course if I move to a state that pays much less that changes things. I might been to support myself on $10/hr if Im in Montanta with a $6 minimum wage. Thats all relative. I previously mentioned I was willing to relocate to the east coast. But for one thing all I heard from locals was negativity. Its so dangerous with violent crime in the carolinas (costal areas) because of drugs and gangs due to all the black people. These are not my words... Im quoting the locals. Beaches there are ****ty beacause of hurricans, humidity, and huge bugs that eat you alive. Maybe they just want to talk people out of living there. But they sound miserable. I have a friend that lives by Lake Norman in NC who likes it there.

Of course actually living in Cape Cod or Cape May would be amazing. But 1) its way out of the budget. These are usually vacation homes for the rich. Im in my early 30s and the average age of people in those areas are 50+. In addition to that it snows and gets freezing when its not summer. Im not the best snow driver being from SoCal. I did find places similar and in my budget in carolina beach but reviews said many things, including thunderstorms and rain ruining enjoying the beach, bad crime, no jobs. Blah blah blah. Like I said, this could be people who just dont like outsiders moving in. Ive noticed a lot of hate on this forum from some folks.

Someone mentioned Monterey. Ive been there. Great photography opportunities. Fantastic weather. Cute city with charm. But overwhelming fish smell. It wasnt very pleasant. You dont get that in Socal. And I didnt notice it in San Fran either. Not sure if its just due to fishing being a big industry there. But I stayed on a costal hotel and had to sleep with the windows closed because of the fishy smell.

Florida... Ive found a few cute homes there. Bright turquoise color, White picket fence. I havent been there in person myself. I dont know much about that job market. But I'm not a big fan of horrid humidity and swamps and alligators. So I've got my doubts. I guess I would have to experience it for myself to know for sure. The locals have complained that the rent prices are too high in their opinion, and only getting hiring, and that they are trying to get out. I'm more concerned about humidity and the job market there. Because Florida rent is going to be relatively affordable compared to Southern California.

Other issue I am seeing when I'm looking at homes ... to rent or buy... is I want a yard. Big enough to have more than one flower and a lawn chair. I would like to have a garden. A hammock. I love being outside. Having a hard is a big part of the house. But the 2 bedroom 2 bathrooms dont come with real yards. It seems like any decent yard places are only coming with 5-7 bedrooms. But I dont need all those bedrooms, nor can I afford that.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 PM

8,395 posts, read 7,677,429 times
I hate to say this, but it sounds like you seem to be looking for the impossible. Perhaps it is time to start thinking about what you would be happy with, even if it isn't "perfect." Good luck!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Telemutt probably had the best suggestions. I'm just wondering why, exactly, you aren't just moving to Cape Cod or Cape May if those are the ideal? I don't think I've seen a reason stated in the thread.

Another suggestion is to do more on-the-ground research and come to your own conclusions about an area. If you run away from a place that seems perfect because "someone told you" there is a lot of crime, it's going to be a while before you settle anywhere.
Well not really. I don't think many of the areas he suggested are anything like the cape. And just re; the area that most i'm familiar with >>> Seaside, Marina, Moss Landing, Prunedale, Salinas, Castroville .... none of those communities even remotely resemble Cape Cod.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 AM

21,773 posts, read 16,435,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Well not really. I don't think many of the areas he suggested are anything like the cape. And just re; the area that most i'm familiar with >>> Seaside, Marina, Moss Landing, Prunedale, Salinas, Castroville .... none of those communities even remotely resemble Cape Cod.
That's sort of true. They aren't anything like Cape Cod. There aren't any towns in California like Cape Cod. I was offering the closest thing the OP could get to small, sunny, outdoor recreation proximal, AFFORDABLE (always relative but I looked at least expensive based on her stated income limits), beach / or water connected, with, hopefully, some charm - where she could actually hope to find decent employment within a sane commute.

Of the locations I listed, the ones you are most familiar with: Seaside, Marina, Moss Landing, Prunedale, Salinas, Castroville - are, indeed, the least characterful, charming.

That said, the others I listed: in the Delta (think Walnut Grove), the Russian River (think Guerneville), and the southern Central Coast (think especially Morro Bay) are all characterful, from funky to charming, in varying degrees of "affordable".

If they won't do, then the closest she can get to the beach might be less character as in Marina, Seaside, or *gasp* Prunedale.

But really, after reading more of her dreamy wishful thinking, I don't see her finding anything at all affordable in California.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:35 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,554,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post

Someone mentioned Monterey. Ive been there. Great photography opportunities. Fantastic weather. Cute city with charm. But overwhelming fish smell. It wasnt very pleasant. You dont get that in Socal. And I didnt notice it in San Fran either. Not sure if its just due to fishing being a big industry there. But I stayed on a costal hotel and had to sleep with the windows closed because of the fishy smell.
I'm sorry to say this, but you seem like a person who will never be satisfied. If you found a reason to complain about Monterey, well, I'm not sure what to say. My mom lives there and I'm an annual pass holder at the Aquarium, thus I've been to Monterey probably 20 times over the past two years, and I've never once experienced this fish smell you're talking about. It's possible you were staying right next to the one remaining fish canning facility left in the area, or something? I don't know.

Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:54 PM

409 posts, read 485,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but you seem like a person who will never be satisfied. If you found a reason to complain about Monterey, well, I'm not sure what to say. My mom lives there and I'm an annual pass holder at the Aquarium, thus I've been to Monterey probably 20 times over the past two years, and I've never once experienced this fish smell you're talking about. It's possible you were staying right next to the one remaining fish canning facility left in the area, or something? I don't know.

Best of luck.
I've also never experienced the fish smell in Monterey. Perhaps what the OP is smelling is the Pacific Ocean, which I think smells wonderful. But then again I like the smell of the wharfs in Glochester, MA.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 AM

55 posts, read 105,192 times
Im a huge beach lover. I love the salt air. I love messy beach hair. I love when I leave the beach smelling of someone's beach bonfire. But Im a SoCal resident. So Im used to southern california beaches. I did go to the beach in Carmel and it was heaven. No bad smell. Pure white sand. Lovely breeze. Big trees. I have no idea why it smelled so bad at the inn at I stayed at in Monterey. Maybe it was just a bad time of year to visit or a bad part of the city. Since Im a not a local there I cant compare it to other parts of the city or other times of year. The fish smell aside, the city was charming. I visited cannery row, art galleries, got lots of great pics. I dont dislike the city overall. What about Catalina? I know there are the downsides of being landlocked and limited shopping/jobs since its mainly tourist. While you are also limited on having a wide variety of people to meet since most are just vacationing, maybe that makes the locals all the more friendly with each other. I actually visited catalina and befriended a local. She was an older woman, very tan and wrinkled, out on the beach worshiping the sun. She was happy to tell me about living there. Said she works at the local little grocery store and thats all it takes for her to support herself. Said she spends her free time enjoying the sun and the water. Im wondering if this is just a good place to retire or if there are any locals my age (30s). Some people are saying I can never be happy, which I disagree with. Most people live the "american dream" by living well beyond their means and living on credit in a mountain of debt. Im just being realistic by looking for a $300,000 house instead of a $900,000 one and driving a honda instead of some fancy ass car. I could say... find me a million dollar house and I will live in dept till I die. Im just the not so average american actually looking for something safe, somewhat suburban, with outdoor recreation. Preferably the beach, but I would also settle for lakes and hiking and horseback riding. Colorado is another place Im considering, granted I can find a cute little 2 bedroom with a yard for a garden. Cape Code/ Cape May just seems to have so much charm to its homes and city. I was just looking for that charm. I dont want a big place. Just a safe charming place with a little bit of rural. Has anyone visited Rancho Mission Viejo? Its a new developing city in OC thats so charming. They are building modern farmhouses with a community area called the "campout" for people to sit together around firepits and make smores and watch the sunset and their are tons of hiking trails, wildflowers, and a nature preserve. All this is just a 20 min drive from the beach. But the cheapest home is 500,000 and the cheapest apartment (its actually the only apartment since the city is still being built) is in the $1700s. I would love it there. But Im not going to live a life of debt and credit cards. So Im searching for what exist in my range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California