Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykis5 View Post
Thoughts on city of KINGSBURG??? !!!!!!
Class A truck stop!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
About the last "All-American" type town in the San Joaquin Valley. Well, that and Oakdale near Modesto.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 AM

22 posts, read 36,947 times
As a native Californian that grew up in the San Joaquin Valley and also lived in Los Angeles and the East Bay, let me give you this to consider; The towns in the San Joaquin are not what they used to be. They are changing and changing rapidly. Most of them are being "ghetto-ized". Yes, I said it and I went there, like it or not. It's the truth. They are turning into Comptons and Oaklands - if you know what I mean. In these tiny towns crimes are being committed that never had before...car-jackings, muggings, armed robbery etc...And when they are caught the criminals are always the "usual suspects."

All the towns mirror each other, most being smaller versions of Fresno, California. San Joaquin Valley towns tend to be "clannish" and the people separatists that only care about their immediately family and friends who live in their narrow little orbit. If you move there and are an outsider to them you will forever remain an outsider. I currently live in one of these towns and you should heed my advice - Stay away! Choose somewhere else unless you absolutely have to come here. The air quality alone should make you think twice.

America's Dirtiest Cities - Forbes.com

Last night it got down to 23 degrees where I live in Kings County. In the summer it can be 100 degrees plus for weeks on end without any relief in sight and the nights only dropping to the low 90's.

There is no opportunity here unless you have always aspired to be a manager at Burger King. The whole San Joaquin Valley has always had potential but the people who live here and who are in control have always kept this place in a backwater. It's almost as if the year was 1957 and everyone here threw away their calendars.

Even beautiful little Kingsburg is getting dirtied-up.

It's up to you if you want to move to Kinsburg - but remember this - Fair warned is fair armed!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Well, I'm not really a fan of the San Joaquin Valley, but the previous poster is exaggerating.

I'm in Fresno this weekend. If I get a chance I'll take a drive down to Kingsburg. It has been a few years since I've been there.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 PM

KC6ZLV - You must be spending way too much time up on the 80M band listening to A.B. and all that crazy talk. If you have never lived here in the lower SJV then you don't know what you're talking about.

And by the way...We both live in the same valley. The Delta separates us by name only...And let me tell you - it ain't no picnic up in your neck of the woods either!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's Amazing View Post
KC6ZLV - You must be spending way too much time up on the 80M band listening to A.B. and all that crazy talk. If you have never lived here in the lower SJV then you don't know what you're talking about.

And by the way...We both live in the same valley. The Delta separates us by name only...And let me tell you - it ain't no picnic up in your neck of the woods either!
I've lived in many places in California from Kern County and north. Just like any large city has good and bad neighbourhoods, any region is going to have good and bad cities and towns.

There are few towns I haven't been through in both the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys. The two regions are very different, although both have bad towns. Oroville is probably the worst in the Sacramento Valley. However, I can't think of any place comparable to it in the San Joaquin Valley because the demographics are different. Woodland and Winters probably have the closest resemblance to some of the towns in the San Joaquin Valley, based on the Mexican demographic. However, both towns are quite functional, unlike quite a few in the San Joaquin Valley which now only serve as a place for farmworkers to buy food and gas.

At any rate, I went down to Kingsburg this weekend. Not much has changed. The town looks very much the same as it always has, with the addition of some local shopping. Save Mart has been there for awhile, but there is more around it. There is a Kmart west of the freeway. There are a few new houses around the perimeter of the town. Growth isn't what I expected from the former housing bubble. The neighbourhoods east of the freeway are clean and quiet. Lawns are manicured. West of the freeway, the neighbourhoods aren't as polished, but not bad. Some of the houses look like they need a fresh coat of paint. No overgrown lawns. No cars parked on the lawns, like you would see in Selma, Firebaugh, and many other towns. I didn't even see any graffiti, which is very unusual in the San Joaquin Valley.

It will be interesting to see what the demographics are for the 2010 Census. The 2000 Census reported about 72% white and 3% Asian, which is a fairly solid indicator it is a middle class community. Hispanics came in at 5%, which is extremely low. About 10% claimed "other" race.

I'll post a few pictures I took with my iPhone later. It was wet and drizzling when I took pictures, and the iPhone doesn't take the best pictures to begin with, so I have to sort through them and find the ones that look ok.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:34 AM

No, no, no...You don't get it. You're making the mistake that so many other people do that visit these small valley towns for a day or two. They may look quaint and all Mayberry but you're not living in these places for any extended time - you're not "out on the streets" - standing in line at the local Wal-Mart or liquor store behind some stinky dirtbag - reading the crime blotter in the small town newspaper. Basically, the town looks good to you on the surface because you're not living there day to day. And I'm not just talking about Kingsburg. BTW - I've never seen so many Swedes with tans before in my life!

Explain this to me, "Woodland and Winters probably have the closest resemblance to some of the towns in the San Joaquin Valley, based on the Mexican demographic. However, both towns are quite functional, unlike quite a few in the San Joaquin Valley which now only serve as a place for farmworkers to buy food and gas." I'm curious. What do you mean by functional?

Talked to me about Oroville. Why do you consider it the worst?

I passed through Woodland a few years ago and found it quite "charming", especially Main St. and the BBQ place I ate at and that whole Dead Cat Alley thing, but I have no idea what it's really like living there and unless I move there and really get under the skin of the town. Winters is on my short list on the next town to visit. Every single person that I know who has ever visited Chico tells me it a very beautiful city and very clean. But I've never been there and I don't what it's really like. Are you starting to understand.

Let me just wrap it up with this bit of advice. No matter what the Chamber of Commerce might tell you and whatever homespun grassroots malarky they try and lay on you...Don't believe the pictures they put in their brochures.

I could go on and on lamenting about the changing face of California and it's small towns but I grow weary. This will be my last reply on this thread.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 AM

84 posts, read 293,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia Baby View Post
I also am a blonde, upper class mom, I didnt see that as a insult myself, I dont think they even knew you were who you were, they were just giving there opinion, never ask a question unless you can take any type of opinion!, As far as Kingsburg, it a really pretty small town, I love it there, I pass through a lot, and honestly there are a lot of us blonde's, everywhere, haha I think you and your family would enjoy it there, Good luck!
But I didn't ask.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 AM

84 posts, read 293,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's Amazing View Post
As a native Californian that grew up in the San Joaquin Valley and also lived in Los Angeles and the East Bay, let me give you this to consider; The towns in the San Joaquin are not what they used to be. They are changing and changing rapidly. Most of them are being "ghetto-ized". Yes, I said it and I went there, like it or not. It's the truth. They are turning into Comptons and Oaklands - if you know what I mean. In these tiny towns crimes are being committed that never had before...car-jackings, muggings, armed robbery etc...And when they are caught the criminals are always the "usual suspects."

All the towns mirror each other, most being smaller versions of Fresno, California. San Joaquin Valley towns tend to be "clannish" and the people separatists that only care about their immediately family and friends who live in their narrow little orbit. If you move there and are an outsider to them you will forever remain an outsider. I currently live in one of these towns and you should heed my advice - Stay away! Choose somewhere else unless you absolutely have to come here. The air quality alone should make you think twice.

America's Dirtiest Cities - Forbes.com

Last night it got down to 23 degrees where I live in Kings County. In the summer it can be 100 degrees plus for weeks on end without any relief in sight and the nights only dropping to the low 90's.

There is no opportunity here unless you have always aspired to be a manager at Burger King. The whole San Joaquin Valley has always had potential but the people who live here and who are in control have always kept this place in a backwater. It's almost as if the year was 1957 and everyone here threw away their calendars.

Even beautiful little Kingsburg is getting dirtied-up.

It's up to you if you want to move to Kinsburg - but remember this - Fair warned is fair armed!

I agree with you. I also live in Kings County. You are right, IMO, about the people here. I came from a very friendly city, and then we moved across the country to here. Ugh. Outsider is right. Also, there ARE NO good job opportunities here. I've never experienced that before, until we moved here.
We do plan to move to a much bigger city in the near future and I will never live in a small California town again..God willing.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
There are few towns I haven't been through in both the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys. The two regions are very different, although both have bad towns. Oroville is probably the worst in the Sacramento Valley. However, I can't think of any place comparable to it in the San Joaquin Valley because the demographics are different.
I know this is an old thread, but this comment kind of irked me a bit. Oroville is actually in a very scenic spot (more so than most valley towns) and has a lot of outdoor recreational opportunities surrounding it. The town itself may be a little on the poor and unsophisticated side, but its not gang infested or dangerous. The people are actually quite nice here. There is a town somewhat comparable to it in the San Joaquin Valley - Oakdale. I do think Oakdale is a nicer place, but Oroville isn't much behind it (I've lived in both towns).

If you are looking for "worst" in the Sacramento Valley I think you should look at Olivehurst, Linda or North Highlands. Oroville definitely isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California