Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:12 PM

946 posts, read 1,136,872 times

Advertisements

The CA tax franchise deducted money from my account for a 2015 car registration even though the car was registered in Texas since 2014.
To get a refund my bank is asking for a statement from the CA board stating they charged by error. After calling the CA board they are not admitting of the error. Not sure where to go from here..

Anyone experienced this BS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 02:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
The CA tax franchise deducted money from my account for a 2015 car registration even though the car was registered in Texas since 2014.
To get a refund my bank is asking for a statement from the CA board stating they charged by error. After calling the CA board they are not admitting of the error. Not sure where to go from here..
I don't understand how that could happen, but you are in luck there is a California DMV expert on these forums, cb73 if she doesn't see this post, you might message her.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't understand how that could happen, but you are in luck there is a California DMV expert on these forums, cb73 if she doesn't see this post, you might message her.
Thank you.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:34 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:

I moved from California to The Woodlands. When I got my Texas DL., I had to turn in my California DL and the Texas official told me that they = then take care of canceling my California DL. I still had some mailings re a family issue that were going to the mailing address I had in California, so I kept that box for a while (at a private mailbox store). I got a few summons for jury duty in that old county. Each time I'd call, they'd tell me they didn't know why I was getting the notice and direct me to the exemption form on the website or would take care of the exemption over the phone (I don't remember which). Finally, the last time this happened, a woman put me on hold while she checked something. She returned and told me she had access to the DMW's California DL file, that she checked it, and it showed that my DL was active....the Texas officials had neglected to cancel my California DL as promised . Fortunately, when I made this last call, I was in California visiting...so I dropped by a DMV office and did what the DMV calls a voluntary DL surrender....signing a form they needed me to sign, since I had given the physical DL to the DL person in Texas. The next day I saw four police officers (or might have been SO deputies) at a nearby outdoor mall. I walked up to them and asked them if there was anything else that I needed to do...worried about having had two DLs at the same time. They laughed at me in a good natured way for worrying about it, and told me not to worry about it, nothing else I needed to do.

^^^^^ Before the above, on a different trip, I took my California plates to a DMV office in Blythe, CA (at the AZ border) and found that DMV offices no longer accept plates...you have to mail them to Sacramento (which I did later that day). Those plates were personalized plates.

I think you should double check to make sure your California DL was actually cancelled. That might be the root of your issue, and if so you could rectify that and go from there. It can't hurt to check. I know that after my experience (recounted above), if I ever do another interstate move I will follow up to make sure the same issue doesn't happen again, or at least gets rectified right away.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:

When you registered your car in Texas, there's no connection to tell California about it. A few states notify, most don't.

If your car expired in California in 2015, you'd need to provide a copy of the Texas registration showing that it was registered in Texas before or on the same day it expired in California.

If there was a gap where it wasn't legally registered anywhere, California won't refund the fees.

Once you supply the copy showing the valid registration, California will refund the fees back to you. If you need a refund of both the registration fees and a bank processing fee, send me a message. It's two totally different procedures and too long to type out here.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
When you registered your car in Texas, there's no connection to tell California about it. A few states notify, most don't.

If your car expired in California in 2015, you'd need to provide a copy of the Texas registration showing that it was registered in Texas before or on the same day it expired in California.

If there was a gap where it wasn't legally registered anywhere, California won't refund the fees.

Once you supply the copy showing the valid registration, California will refund the fees back to you. If you need a refund of both the registration fees and a bank processing fee, send me a message. It's two totally different procedures and too long to type out here.

I bet that's the issue, the OP let their CA registration expire because they knew they were leaving the state. Most likely drove around for awhile in TX with expired CA plates as well.

It's called "pulling a fast one".

Old 10-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I bet that's the issue, the OP let their CA registration expire because they knew they were leaving the state. Most likely drove around for awhile in TX with expired CA plates as well.

It's called "pulling a fast one".
Nope you're dead wrong. Maybe you would do that but not me.

Got the car registered asap when it arrived in TX. According to the CA DMV site, you're supposed to notify them within 10 days of your new address and.......complete Form REG 256 mail it with a copy of your new registration.

The address change make sense but submitting a form with a copy of a new registration wth??

Old 10-27-2016, 03:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
After moving to Houston, I still received registration renewal from CA DMV. A call to them cleared things up. As for your situation of being charged money, it is not surprising as the tax and spenders always look for money anywhere they can find legally or illegally.

At least you got out.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I moved from California to The Woodlands. When I got my Texas DL., I had to turn in my California DL and the Texas official told me that they = then take care of canceling my California DL. I still had some mailings re a family issue that were going to the mailing address I had in California, so I kept that box for a while (at a private mailbox store). I got a few summons for jury duty in that old county. Each time I'd call, they'd tell me they didn't know why I was getting the notice and direct me to the exemption form on the website or would take care of the exemption over the phone (I don't remember which). Finally, the last time this happened, a woman put me on hold while she checked something. She returned and told me she had access to the DMW's California DL file, that she checked it, and it showed that my DL was active....the Texas officials had neglected to cancel my California DL as promised . Fortunately, when I made this last call, I was in California visiting...so I dropped by a DMV office and did what the DMV calls a voluntary DL surrender....signing a form they needed me to sign, since I had given the physical DL to the DL person in Texas. The next day I saw four police officers (or might have been SO deputies) at a nearby outdoor mall. I walked up to them and asked them if there was anything else that I needed to do...worried about having had two DLs at the same time. They laughed at me in a good natured way for worrying about it, and told me not to worry about it, nothing else I needed to do.

^^^^^ Before the above, on a different trip, I took my California plates to a DMV office in Blythe, CA (at the AZ border) and found that DMV offices no longer accept plates...you have to mail them to Sacramento (which I did later that day). Those plates were personalized plates.

I think you should double check to make sure your California DL was actually cancelled. That might be the root of your issue, and if so you could rectify that and go from there. It can't hurt to check. I know that after my experience (recounted above), if I ever do another interstate move I will follow up to make sure the same issue doesn't happen again, or at least gets rectified right away.

FYI you do not need to turn in personalized plates. They are YOURS because you specifically paid for them. You keep them. You use them on your next car (if you were to be in CA) or keep them as a memento

Old 10-27-2016, 10:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:
Nope you're dead wrong. Maybe you would do that but not me.

Got the car registered asap when it arrived in TX. According to the CA DMV site, you're supposed to notify them within 10 days of your new address and.......complete Form REG 256 mail it with a copy of your new registration.

The address change make sense but submitting a form with a copy of a new registration wth??
Because many people move from state to state and keep the vehicle registered in the original state for whatever reason. If you just turn in the Change of Address there's no way for the DMV to know that you're retitling it in Texas or just plan to be there for a while and return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California