Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 PM

46 posts, read 25,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
I just don't understand the weather or green arguments.

I don't consider the weather to be "better", only different.

It can be green here, but not everywhere, certainly not in urban areas. I have seen beautiful sceneries all across the country.

I get the friends and family argument but myself, despite being raised here, have neither around.

I ask myself "what good do all the sights, events, amenities, and 'temperate' climate do me if I still just toil away on a vicious cycle of work-workout-sleep rinse repeat?"

I just don't understand how one single factor (weather) outweighs things like COL, taxes, the factors that directly influence your disposable income, which in turn influences what you can afford to do in a place with nice weather etc in the first place.
I got stuck in Sonoma County past 17 years. It is pretty (not the city) but SO intensely expensive...less than 1% rental vacancy rate and I HATE the constant fog and monsoons in the winter. I actually got court ordered to live here (my ex requested it in a custody dispute he carried out) so the few friends who have managed to remain in the area I am bonded to, but now need to relocate, find a more affordable part of the west to start all over...but this time without the cutthroat rental market, and with ample jobs. Any ideas? I love the southwest...love warm coasts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 AM

787 posts, read 644,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekinganswers53 View Post
I got stuck in Sonoma County past 17 years. It is pretty (not the city) but SO intensely expensive...less than 1% rental vacancy rate and I HATE the constant fog and monsoons in the winter. I actually got court ordered to live here (my ex requested it in a custody dispute he carried out) so the few friends who have managed to remain in the area I am bonded to, but now need to relocate, find a more affordable part of the west to start all over...but this time without the cutthroat rental market, and with ample jobs. Any ideas? I love the southwest...love warm coasts...
That's a good question, I'm still here in Marin County, thus far, but have looked into AZ, NV, TX, and NC so far, and they are all appealing in their own right. I've also considered Sacramento if I decide to stay in California. My lease is up in the summer and I will make a decision around that time I guess.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:10 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
What areas have a more manageable cost of living in California? I don't really care about being in a major city, an hour away is fine. I'm looking into moving out west and have been looking into both Arizona and California both. Thanks.
Barstow.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM

130 posts, read 213,746 times
Quote:
Summer is beautiful! My version of beautiful anyway.

Hot, dry, and clear skies!

Winter, well it was chilly there yesterday, and overcast, but then it started raining today in Marin and looks to be raining all weekend sadly, I don't live there, but whenever I drive in the area it's gorgeous, and I always say I want that Santa Rosa summer when looking to relocate, which is why AZ is so appealing to me as a possible relocation destination.
So why would you chose to move to Arizona? Rather than stay in Santa Rosa? Arizona is sooo hot in the summer!
How cold is winter? Do you need a winter coat? Since you like it warm, you would be a good person to ask! yes, I know I can look at average temps, but given the fact that it is more humid, it may feel a lot colder.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
So why would you chose to move to Arizona? Rather than stay in Santa Rosa? Arizona is sooo hot in the summer!
How cold is winter? Do you need a winter coat? Since you like it warm, you would be a good person to ask! yes, I know I can look at average temps, but given the fact that it is more humid, it may feel a lot colder.
Because AZ doesn't have as bad of a COL or tax situation.

Winter here? It can get cold enough to warrant a coat at times, sure, just enough to own one at least, i'd say. It doesn't get really cold, not too low below the 50s, but it's definitely not "warm year round" like some might think. On the other side, when it isn't winter it's beautiful, here in Marin at least.

My ideal weather is such that I can walk around in flip flops and shorts year round so i'm picky in that regard, haha.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM

130 posts, read 213,746 times
Quote:
Because AZ doesn't have as bad of a COL or tax situation.

Winter here? It can get cold enough to warrant a coat at times, sure, just enough to own one at least, i'd say. It doesn't get really cold, not too low below the 50s, but it's definitely not "warm year round" like some might think. On the other side, when it isn't winter it's beautiful, here in Marin at least.

My ideal weather is such that I can walk around in flip flops and shorts year round so i'm picky in that regard, haha.
I totally understand! I'm trying to escape the cold/snow. But I'm just not quite sure if I want it to be hot/warm year round. I think cold for about two months or so will make me still make me love summer.
Thanks for your input, always good to hear other people's perspectives.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
I totally understand! I'm trying to escape the cold/snow. But I'm just not quite sure if I want it to be hot/warm year round. I think cold for about two months or so will make me still make me love summer.
Thanks for your input, always good to hear other people's perspectives.
I love year round heat. I don't want to only be able to run around on the lawn ****less throwing water balloons with kids 3, 4,6 months out of the year, I want any day to be pool day, fun day.

To me, heat is what I want to feel stepping out the front door. If I want snow, and I do love snow, I'd rather it be the climate I drive to enjoy, though I wouldn't be opposed to living in a place that snows either, really the only thing holding me back from looking more seriously at places with heavy snowfall is that I drive a sports car. If I drove a jeep or truck, places like Colorado immediately become no brainers, I love Denver, love Boulder, love the people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California