Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But driving an EV still makes more pollutants that a horse and buggy. So then, what do you say to the hardcore environmentalists who want EV drivers to trade in their brake and tire dust creator for a horse and buggy?
Great response, you clearly were unaware of regenerative braking systems in EV's weren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:26 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
As predictable as the sunrise....a vigorous defense of engineering lunacy in the very next post.
Your post is nothing more than opinion. Because you personally don't like, or agree with something, doesn't mean there is a problem with it.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Great response, you clearly were unaware of regenerative braking systems in EV's weren't you?
You are correct the braking does not add to pollution.

However the source of the vast majority of our Electricity does as the electricity is produced. Electric cars take electricity and that means more must be produced as it does not come out of thin air. More pollution from those electrical generating plants.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

However the source of the vast majority of our Electricity does as the electricity is produced. Electric cars take electricity and that means more must be produced as it does not come out of thin air. More pollution from those electrical generating plants.
And more and more of our electricity comes from clean and/or renewable sources every year. Problem solved.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:51 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:

Indeed, and it is not as though regenerative braking does all the braking.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
In other words, you're asking me if I'm aware that torque from an engine or motor can be transmitted via a flywheel, through a gearbox, to the wheels, and vice versa? Is that what you're asking me?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:44 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
BTW, this is how real drivers engine-brake without regenerative brakes doing it for us -- it's called heel-toe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhuLnE6iJSc

Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In other words, you're asking me if I'm aware that torque from an engine or motor can be transmitted via a flywheel, through a gearbox, to the wheels, and vice versa? Is that what you're asking me?
No. You didn't seem aware of regenerative braking systems in EV's that reduce wear and tear on brake pads compared to regular cars. I was simply pointing that out since you seem overly concerned about brake pad dust. You seem rather desperate in trying to show how EV's are polluters as well or whatever.

FYI "zero-emissions" refer to TAILPIPE emissions so your point about brake pad dust is irrelevant.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
And more and more of our electricity comes from clean and/or renewable sources every year. Problem solved.
Not that much at this point. You may find this interesting

Environmental Article - Pollution-Free Energy Sources - Energy Production Byproducts

I am in favor of such sources of energy, but if a mass exodus to electric cars occurred, the amount of electricity needed would expand pollution beyond any balance pollution free sources could handle. In time, es, but in between it might not be that good.

The next problem is the distance you can drive. "If" you could get to work and back you would need a second one to go anywhere else as it takes time to recharge. Then you would be limited in driving distance. That means a second gas driven car would be necessary. Personally I lean more towards Hybrids as they can offer a balance.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Not that much at this point. You may find this interesting

Environmental Article - Pollution-Free Energy Sources - Energy Production Byproducts

I am in favor of such sources of energy, but if a mass exodus to electric cars occurred, the amount of electricity needed would expand pollution beyond any balance pollution free sources could handle. In time, es, but in between it might not be that good.

The next problem is the distance you can drive. "If" you could get to work and back you would need a second one to go anywhere else as it takes time to recharge. Then you would be limited in driving distance. That means a second gas driven car would be necessary. Personally I lean more towards Hybrids as they can offer a balance.
22 -25% is a pretty significant amount and its share is only going to get larger.

A mass exodus to electric cars is highly unlikely. I think you're really reaching here is the whole power generation angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California