Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 05:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Funny post expatCA but I've cut things out of my life that were doing me no good. I quit smoking, I quit pot, and I'm even considering quitting coffee, just because it's a PITA to make 1 cup of coffee each morning. I've realized I'm not really even getting anything out of coffee. But... I'll stick with my two glasses of wine with dinner.

Hey, just one vice for the 'Hound! Maybe two if you count women as a vice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 05:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Funny post expatCA but I've cut things out of my life that were doing me no good. I quit smoking, I quit pot, and I'm even considering quitting coffee, just because it's a PITA to make 1 cup of coffee each morning. I've realized I'm not really even getting anything out of coffee. But... I'll stick with my two glasses of wine with dinner.

Hey, just one vice for the 'Hound! Maybe two if you count women as a vice.
Good for you. I do not smoke anything, rarely have a drink though certain wines are good for you and avoid coffee as I love the smell but hate the taste.

Humm, "women" may not be a vice, unless you are married, Then ......

Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM

I'm male, single and lonesome! And I'd like to find a significant other and settle down with her. Just ONE woman. I was kidding about women being a vice.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm male, single and lonesome! And I'd like to find a significant other and settle down with her. Just ONE woman. I was kidding about women being a vice.
Oh, wait until one gets a grip on you. It will be like a "vice" if she is a good match. You won't be able to let go and she won't.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The answer isn't to tax negative behavior, it is to stop paying for everyone's medical care.
I agree completely. But try convincing the majority of people. Once insurance and government got involved in health care during World War 2, a monster was created. People don't really want to do what it takes to slay that monster, unfortunately.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
That makes sense except for the cost of treating a smoker while they are dying from cancer, heart or arterial disease or COPD. Gotta keep spending money and treating them until they from tobacco caused diseases.

Both my grandfather and aunt died from disease related to their smoking habits.
Agreed. It's not just about the age at which people die. It's about how long and how much is spent treating them while they're alive but chronically ill.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:25 PM

Just think of the possibilities of an inactive person who smokes tobacco, quitting smoking and then using about the same money to buy a monthly membership in a gym. They would be subtracting one major health risk and adding one major healthy habit (exercise), both of which would likely increase not only their life span but also enhance their healthy later years.

I've more or less done that myself. My father died at a relative young age (few years before retirement) and although he was a non-smoker (never smoked) he died from a heart attack. Within a few weeks I had myself taking aspirin daily (Google the benefits of daily intake of aspirin re: heart and vascular disease) and began a life long program of exercise.

I don't know the percentage of deaths caused by lifestyle choices (drug use, tobacco, alcohol, diet, exercise, etc.) but I do know that it is a surprisingly large percentage. You can smoke pot and tobacco and get no exercise if you like, get fat, but if you want to live a long, healthy life you had better take into consideration how lifestyle choices like these will affect the length of your life.

I'm just taking care of myself, and sharing what I've learned. Y'all can smoke anything you want and make other adverse health and lifestyle choices and it won't affect me. Just remember, we all die alone.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Well I can understand that. In that case the person has two problems: (1) tobacco addiction, and (2) an eating disorder.

I'd suggest quit smoking immediately or as quickly as possible
For some people, quitting is not as easy as it is for others. Some of this stuff is genetic.

'In a university news release....the study suggests "there are definitely some people who are nicotine avoiders and others who are nicotine choosers, and there are probably genetic or metabolic vulnerabilities that make people fall into one group or the other." '

https://psychcentral.com/news/2015/0...ion/92165.html

This Might Be Why Some People Are More Likely to Smoke Than Others - Alcoholism - Health.com

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2008-...cigarette.html

Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Enough of these sin taxes to put a band aid on the state's horrific fiscal future. Just repeal Prop 13 already.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Enough of these sin taxes to put a band aid on the state's horrific fiscal future. Just repeal Prop 13 already.
Right hurt older people, lovely and kind thought. Property taxes already bring in more than personal income taxes.

Understanding California’s Property Taxes

The Property Tax Is One of the Largest Taxes Californians Pay. In some years, Californians pay more in property taxes and charges than they do in state personal income taxes, the largest state General Fund revenue source. Local governments collected about $43 billion in 2010–11 from the 1 percent rate. The other taxes and charges on the property tax bill generated an additional $12 billion.

Plus it has nothing to do with State taxes:

Also from that link:

All Revenue From Property Taxes Is Allocated to Local Governments. Property tax revenue remains within the county in which it is collected and is used exclusively by local governments. State laws control the allocation of property tax revenue from the 1 percent rate to more than 4,000 local governments, with K–14 districts and counties receiving the largest amounts. The distribution of property tax revenue, however, varies significantly by locality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California