Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Your post makes no sense. Girlfriend is from TO then she knows all about the areas from Oxnard to San Luis Obispo. TO is in between Simi Valley and Ventura. Oxnard has the Colonia (barrio) of the city. Ventura has the Avenue (old part of the city) some small gang activity. I lived in VTA 17 yrs and thought the city was okay, not trendy but okay. Best part, NO SMOG. Good part, you can drive 101 FWY So. to LA or up north to the bay area. Beautiful coastline. Welcome to Calif. Stefhen
Ventura has no smog problem cause it's so coastal. And yes, you identified where the gangs are. But before u move to Ventura-Oxnard area, do your research on the crime and ask other people in the area how they feel about the gangs. I lived in Oxnard for 10 years, and I still talk to people who live in that area. And they say they don't like Oxnard because of the gangs.

Thousand Oaks-Simi Valley area is very good. Thousand Oaks is one of the safest cities in California, actually.

There are more gangs in Oxnard than than the Colonias. I don't remember the others right now, I know at the schools one gang wear cowboys and others were raiders. Then there was the el rio gangs, and im not sure if there were any in camarillo or port hueneme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Default Real or imagined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
But before u move to Ventura-Oxnard area, do your research on the crime and ask other people in the area how they feel about the gangs.
Good advice. Oxnard-Ventura is an area of 300,000 population. Any urbanized area of that size will have its share of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Quote:
I lived in Oxnard for 10 years, and I still talk to people who live in that area. And they say they don't like Oxnard because of the gangs.
News Flash: people in Sugar Town don't like gangs! Kind of a glass-half-empty point of view. The glass-half-full p.o.v. says that what people in Oxnard DO like is the city's proactive measures to crack down on gangs -- 2 percent of the population. Other things people like is the revitalized downtown, weekly Arts Council films, the 5th Street Jazz Festival, Thursdays' farmers market, the awesome new happenings in the CI harbor and many other things.

Quote:
Thousand Oaks-Simi Valley area is very good.
Murders since Jan 1, 2008 in Simi Valley (pop. 120,000) = Oxnard (pop. 200,000): three. Reality trumps perception, again.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-28-2008 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: it's its, gets me every time :P

Old 03-29-2008, 09:00 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Santa Barbara would be my top choice. I'm originally from MA but also lived in Ocala, FL and now I'm living in San Luis Obispo because of my job. I've spent time in both SLO and SB and SB is a great place. SLO is a college town but it's nice. There are some trendy bars and restaurants. SB is also a college town but much larger and more for young professionals. I don't know much about Ventura but I hear it's decent. It's only about 20 miles south of SB.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,111 times
There was a time when I was faced with the same delema, although not related to school or career moves.N 2001 I found myself soul searching and opted for a new life on the west coast.I drove around between SF and LA n a rental car for 3 weeks before deciding, and it came down between the towns of SB, SLO and Ventura...for me, there's just something lovable about the central coast...
Santa Barbera, though beautiful n sooo many ways is a bit uptight and un-livably expensive for the non-specific professional, and for that reason I crossed it out. San Louis Obispo is a very quaint little town, super charming with a quiet beauty and a friendly way about it. in SLO there were just enough of the things u need to make it comfortable living, but not enough to offer varitey for a former city girl like myself...for this reason I headed south and accidentally discovered Ventura. For me it was the California dream. Laid back and quirky, small but not seriously monotionus, I felt that ventura had all of the things I was looking for. My first day at the beach yeilded a surfing pastor preaching n a wet suit to his congrigation, shortly before they hit the surf...I once saw a whole bedroom set transplanted to the beach complete with sleeping people...and a fountain spiked with dish liquid that sent bubbles across the town for days... Ventura is best suited for open minded and laid back people who don't need a city scene to have a good time. if street fair's, small shoppes, galleries and thrift stores r ur thing, then Ventura is a good pick. If not, drive around for a few weeks. CA is diverse and has something for everyone...

Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjay View Post
Santa Barbera, though beautiful n sooo many ways is a bit uptight...
Santa Barbarans can be a bit "provincial" too. The know about Santa Barbara and don't much care to expand their horizons.... Not all, of course, but in my experience this is the case a lot more in SB than in communities north and south.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM

182 posts, read 927,649 times
Where you settle really comes down to personal preferences. And employment opportunities in your field. It sounds to me as if SB and SLO have good potential in your field. CalPoly is a GREAT college with a great Biology department and a newly established (within the past few years) Marine Biology Department complete with lab on the old oil pier in between Avila Beach and Port San Luis. Lots of enviornmental concerns, agencies, and studies here. Hope you are connecting with CalPoly in your field to ferrett out the possibilities here in your field. The Marine Bio Dept. would have their fingers on the pulse of the network, so to speak.
And the SB area with UCSB would certianly be a great possiblitiy for you too. Marine Bio and environmentalism is big there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California