Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:27 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times

Advertisements

It's a very comfortable 83 degrees at my house east of San Diego this afternoon at 2 pm (pool is 82). We had some fog this morning drifting up over the foothills. Looks like the heat wave is over for us.

Yet, the National Weather Service is reporting it's still over 100 in Sacramento right now, so I guess it is still baking up north. (And in our deserts -- it's 108 in Borrego Springs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Though the biggest mystery I always have and is pretty apparent in this heat wave is how come overnight temperatures in the Central Valley are usually much warmer or at least feel so much warmer than the overnight temperatures in the interior of LA basin including the inland empire even though daytime highs are pretty similar? Any explanation on that?
I wonder if it feels warmer in the central valley due to all of the canals, rivers, and agricultural watering. They up the humidity and perhaps that keeps overnight temps a little higher as well. Just guessing.

Also, some of the inland empire gets a bit of marine airflow from the coast, so that keeps things a little cooler in some areas than the central valley or further inland.

Here in San Diego County, it can sometimes be hotter in the higher elevations of the mountains during the summer months than it is in the inland valleys and foothills (where I live). Again, I'm not certain, but I always thought that was because the marine layer gets caught in the foothills, while the heat from the desert pushes up against the other side of the mountains. I could be totally wrong about that though.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
There's been five days of temps over 105 in my town. Forecast to be another four days of temps over 100. It's only June, for cripes sake. This is why I hate summer.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
It's a very comfortable 83 degrees at my house east of San Diego this afternoon at 2 pm (pool is 82). We had some fog this morning drifting up over the foothills. Looks like the heat wave is over for us.

Yet, the National Weather Service is reporting it's still over 100 in Sacramento right now, so I guess it is still baking up north. (And in our deserts -- it's 108 in Borrego Springs).
It's 72/73 here. This is May weather. Never mind cooled more, more like 71.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:57 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
That's one of the interesting things about California is our microclimates.
And... 77 is a little warmer than usual. Mid 60's to low 70's is more the norm.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,133,777 times
112°F today, with little to no wind.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
There's been five days of temps over 105 in my town. Forecast to be another four days of temps over 100. It's only June, for cripes sake. This is why I hate summer.

I didn't realize Mars got so hot!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 PM

268 posts, read 241,353 times
It got up to 111 where I live, in the Central Valley.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I didn't realize Mars got so hot!!!

Oh yes. It does, Derek. I have proof

Attachment 186516

Last edited by JGC97; 02-15-2022 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I wonder if it feels warmer in the central valley due to all of the canals, rivers, and agricultural watering. They up the humidity and perhaps that keeps overnight temps a little higher as well. Just guessing.

Also, some of the inland empire gets a bit of marine airflow from the coast, so that keeps things a little cooler in some areas than the central valley or further inland.

Here in San Diego County, it can sometimes be hotter in the higher elevations of the mountains during the summer months than it is in the inland valleys and foothills (where I live). Again, I'm not certain, but I always thought that was because the marine layer gets caught in the foothills, while the heat from the desert pushes up against the other side of the mountains. I could be totally wrong about that though.
I guess probably so. Marine air is likely the main driving force of what cools the area particularly at night but sometimes during the day if it's strong enough. It appears the marine breeze can readily reach the interior of SF Bay Area and SoCal than the CV for some reason probably due to the location coast ranges. The ocean breeze effects are actually pretty strong in places like Temecula where it lies in a valley channel where breeze reaches in the afternoon and blows away the daytime heat though for some reason it's effect is less apparent in Escondido compared to surrounding cities until later at night. I find that Humidity is usually lower in Central Valley and desert locations. But the overnights there are very warm even on days daytime highs are not comparably "hot"

Though I would be curious how come the inland empire is quite different in this regard compared to the desert even though the desert is not too far away?

In my experience the mountains are usually pretty cold at night except during extreme heatwaves when the offshore flow brings hot air from the deserts there.

When the onshore flow is strong enough it cool even the CV and the deserts feel the effects. This happened a lot this year with a particularly strong May and June gloom. Possibly driven a lingering La Niña
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California