Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 02:49 PM

456 posts, read 240,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
They just don't get it. We didn't elect the people who made our taxes high in California. We are outnumbered statewide. But we aren't outnumbered in our districts. Republicans must have forgotten how congress is composed I guess. Punishing those who live here, who previously elected Republicans to congress has turned their control of congress into democrats. Even though, we are using the logic they want us to do, vote out those who increase our taxes... They seem to be angry with us for voting out those Republicans who increased our taxes. It's a mystery how this kind of logic prevailed but then again, Trump is who they came up with.

You really think Repubs raised the taxes in your state and the Dems wanted to reduce them? That is pure comedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 02:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
I certainly understand that if you are a person whose federal tax liability went up that you would vote against the candidate who did that. What makes them somewhat idiotic though is turning around and electing people on the state and local level who added 2,3, or 4X that amount in tax liability for you.
No dear, I voted against Trump long before he proposed this tax bill, just because he's an idiot. And I have no idea what "added 2,3, or 4X that amount in tax" is even supposed to mean.

By the way, did you read the article that I suggested you read?

https://publicintegrity.org/inequali...umps-tax-cuts/

Old 01-11-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
You are the one that cares about fiscal responsibility more than I do. I realize the debt matters little at this point as no politician cares. Having said that your last President had far higher taxes and added more to the Debt than pretty much all the other Presidents before them combined.

Once again if fiscal responsibility matters then why one Earth would you continue to vote the Dems in your state who simply spend out of control with taxes out of control back into office?

I simply vote on who will minimize expenses for me. It literally is pretty much my most important criteria since that actually materially affects me and nothing else really does.
Obama increased the debt because we were in a major recession, Trump increased the debt in order to give a big wet kiss to his rich friends. See the difference?

That growing deficit will have to be paid for, who do you think will pay for it?

Old 01-11-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No dear, I voted against Trump long before he proposed this tax bill, just because he's an idiot. And I have no idea what "added 2,3, or 4X that amount in tax" is even supposed to mean.

By the way, did you read the article that I suggested you read?

https://publicintegrity.org/inequali...umps-tax-cuts/
I'll spell it out for you. If Trumps new tax plan means you might owe an extra $500 but the idiots you keep electing keep the state income tax and keep it high (meaning you are paying $3000 or $4000). Then that means that you keep electing the idiots that have you paying 8X more than the new federal tax laws might make you owe.

However using the example you provided above we see that Tumps new tax policy actually lowered taxes. Still waiting for a real example of someone who pays more in taxes now.

You do no due diligence at all.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Obama increased the debt because we were in a major recession, Trump increased the debt in order to give a big wet kiss to his rich friends. See the difference?

That growing deficit will have to be paid for, who do you think will pay for it?
Always excuses. I love Dems. No logic at all. Obama was horrible as a President. The fact you give him a pass shows you have no credibility at all.

Rich friends? I just used your example and showed they pay less in taxes. Is that considered his rich friends?

Old 01-11-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the example. So using this for a family of 4 (2 kids) making $100,000 in 2016 they would have $taxable income of $69,000 which means they would owe federal taxes of 9426. They also get a 2 x $1000 tax credit for the kids meaning they owe $7426. They also owe around $3500 (give or take) in CA income tax.

Under the new plan they have taxable income of $76,000 which means they owe $8735. They get 2 x $2000 child credit for a tax liability of $4735. They still owe $3500 in CA income tax.

Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing the detail that would make it possible to respond to this, but please don't bother - I'm pretty sure that this back and forth isn't entertaining anyone who might be reading this thread.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are missing the detail that would make it possible to respond to this, but please don't bother - I'm pretty sure that this back and forth isn't entertaining anyone who might be reading this thread.
What detail. This is specifically what the thread is about. It is about the true effect of the new tax policy of a CA person.

The only reason you would avoid this is because you got caught. I am sure anyone would want know a scenario that might affect them.

It has to be absolutely entertaining to all that see you are so far in over your head it isn't funny.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:36 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
What detail.
You didn't give any details, and you were called on it.

Quote:
The only reason you would avoid this is because you got caught. I am sure anyone would want know a scenario that might affect them.

It has to be absolutely entertaining to all that see you are so far in over your head it isn't funny.
Stop. You do nothing but attack every single poster with whom you disagree.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You didn't give any details, and you were called on it.

Stop. You do nothing but attack every single poster with whom you disagree.
Do you even read the posts? Seriously.

Go back and read his posts. He talked about a couple with 2 kids (family of 4) that made $100,000 a year and claimed that the new Trump tax policy would hurt this couple because they used to be able to deduct $31,000 (itemized and exemptions) with $1000 per child tax credit and now can only deduct $24,000 (on the standard deduction) with a $2000 per child tax credit.

So the example showed what the old tax liability would be if they made $100K with $31,000 in deductions with the $1000 child tax credits compared to the tax liability if they made $100K with only $24,000 as the standard deduction with the $2000 child tax credits and lo and behold they owe less on the new tax plan.

This is no different than you being showed that property taxes are significantly lower where I currently am.

Please for once read. If you post something that disagrees that makes actual sense I am willing to acknowledge. I did not attack him. I attacked his factually incorrect opinion. If I say 2+2 =5 and you tell me that is wrong that is not you attacking me. That is you pointing out that it does not equal 5

Old 01-11-2020, 07:15 PM

216 posts, read 128,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViFitzgerald View Post
"We" as in the majority of people in CA definitely did elect the people who made taxes high. And unfortunately, if you're a registered Republican in the state of CA, you are a casualty. Kinda sucks, but too bad. As stated, in the grand scheme of things, you're simply not as important as appeasing the majority of the Middle Income (which are located outside of the high COL Democratic controlled states).
So if Republicans don't represent the interests of fiscally conservative people with high NW/incomes that live in high COL areas, who does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California