Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't sound like you understand the Supremacy Clause which dictates that federal law is the "supreme law of the land." This means that judges in every state must follow the Constitution, laws, and treaties of the federal government in matters which are directly or indirectly within the government's control. (please note that "follow" does not mean enforce"

It is the 10th amendment that limits the federal government’s ability to mandate particular action by states and localities, including in the area of federal immigration law enforcement and investigations. The federal government cannot “compel the States to enact or administer a federal regulatory program,or compel state employees to participate in the administration of a federally enacted regulatory scheme. Importantly, these Tenth Amendment protections extend not only to states but to localities and their employees.
Voluntary cooperation with a federal scheme does not present Tenth Amendment issues. (I have listed numerous SCOTUS cases upholding the right of a state to refuse to enforce federal law, if interested I'm sure you can find them)
No, you clearly refuse to obey the supremacy clause in a desperate attempt to justify shielding ilelgal aliens at all costs. I've said it before and I'll say it again: immigration law is entirely the purview of the federal government, therefore no city council nor state assembly should pass ANY legislation pertaining to immigrants or immigration PERIOD. This is akin to a state bill about US currency or the US mail. There is a difference between states being compelled to administer a federal regulatory program vs. a state passing laws explicitly prohibiting cooperation with the feds. If you truly believed in leaving it up to local LE, then you'd be OK with individual officers making the choice THEMSELVES whether to determine immigration status and contact ICE, rather than a state law effectively issuing a gag order on cops to shield illegals.

Again, waiting for those cases from you whee ICE ordered local LE to conduct immigration raids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 04:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
This just shows how little you know about the criminal justice system. Federal, state and local agencies are linked via computer. ICR puts a hold on someone who is in custody they are then notified via computer if release date. Then in release date they are released to ice. That is it.
No, that's not it. When ICE wants someone detained they request that the local agency place a detainer on them which will allow them to be held 48 hours past their release date. Without the detainer, ICE can easily wait outside the jail and pick up the person they want to detain, as you said they have the same access to CJ databases that the Police have. Or ICE could comply with the 4th amendment and have a judge sign an arrest warrant which would be honored by every law enforcement agency and jail in the US.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No, you clearly refuse to obey the supremacy clause in a desperate attempt to justify shielding ilelgal aliens at all costs. I've said it before and I'll say it again: immigration law is entirely the purview of the federal government, therefore no city council nor state assembly should pass ANY legislation pertaining to immigrants or immigration PERIOD. This is akin to a state bill about US currency or the US mail. There is a difference between states being compelled to administer a federal regulatory program vs. a state passing laws explicitly prohibiting cooperation with the feds. If you truly believed in leaving it up to local LE, then you'd be OK with individual officers making the choice THEMSELVES whether to determine immigration status and contact ICE, rather than a state law effectively issuing a gag order on cops to shield illegals.

Again, waiting for those cases from you whee ICE ordered local LE to conduct immigration raids...
Can you show me where I said that ICE ordered local LE to conduct immigration raids?

And there is no obligation that a State or City enforce federal law and their is no prohibition against them issuing directives or laws indicating the extent and level of involvement in enforcing federal law, so the Supremacy clause is absolutely irrelevant here. Here is a statement by the LA County Sheriff on the final bill as signed by Brown https://signalscv.com/2017/09/l-coun...g-immigration/

We would all be better off if folks worried more about what Orange Man is going to do with the nuclear codes than whether or not the "illegals" will be arrested.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You have no explanations, only excuses that are laughably far-fetched in an attempt to justify illegal alien lawbreaking at all costs. This is a STATE bill...you're telling me you know the staffing demands of every municipality in a state as large as ours? And regardless of what type of work we're talking about, there is a solution to being understaffed: it's called hiring more people! And what makes you think ICE needs to be babysat? You're telling me not only do you know the ins and outs of local police but you also know that ICE is riddled with competencies and unable to function? Yeah, sure.
I posted a link to the DHS IG report on ICE, did you read it?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Can you show me where I said that ICE ordered local LE to conduct immigration raids?

And there is no obligation that a State or City enforce federal law and their is no prohibition against them issuing directives or laws indicating the extent and level of involvement in enforcing federal law, so the Supremacy clause is absolutely irrelevant here. Here is a statement by the LA County Sheriff on the final bill as signed by Brown https://signalscv.com/2017/09/l-coun...g-immigration/

We would all be better off if folks worried more about what Orange Man is going to do with the nuclear codes than whether or not the "illegals" will be arrested.
Nice try at deflection to our President...

I know cops and non of them like prop 47 or this bill.

When our President turns his attention to Ca Brownstain and DeLa loser are going to be in big trouble

Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Are you now implying Illegal aliens are not Illegal? Lol.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
When our President turns his attention to Ca Brownstain and DeLa loser are going to be in big trouble
What does the star of Portlandia have to do with this

Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

Yes there is. Which is why all States enforce emission laws from... the Federal Gov't initially and then they may modify but not reduce the laws.

They must obey customs laws and many more. All States are a part of the US, not separate entities that can do what they wish. The Civil War settled that.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
You have no explanations, only excuses that are laughably far-fetched in an attempt to justify illegal alien lawbreaking at all costs. This is a STATE bill...you're telling me you know the staffing demands of every municipality in a state as large as ours? And regardless of what type of work we're talking about, there is a solution to being understaffed: it's called hiring more people! And what makes you think ICE needs to be babysat? You're telling me not only do you know the ins and outs of local police but you also know that ICE is riddled with competencies and unable to function? Yeah, sure.
ICE was rendered impotent by Obama and then they turn around and label ICE incompetent.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Nice try at deflection to our President...

I know cops and non of them like prop 47 or this bill.

And these idiots are going to draw the ire of the DOJ with all its resources, and California will obviously lose, all at the expense of we the taxpayer. These California democrats in charge now are nothing less than treasonous. Civil war is brewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California