Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,296,900 times

Advertisements

How much is community college nowadays? I attended CC, it was a few hundred bucks a semester and I would also get a BOGW, does that not exist anymore? I was also a poor young troubled youth, son of poor Mexican parents. Some how managed to pay for it and transfer to a university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:12 PM

8,410 posts, read 7,690,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
How much is community college nowadays? I attended CC, it was a few hundred bucks a semester and I would also get a BOGW, does that not exist anymore?
A year of California community college for a California resident, tuition only, costs about $1400 a year if you're attending full time (2 semesters, 15 credits per semester). (Full cost, obviously, would include books and supplies, transportation, personal expenses, room/board if you aren't living with family, etc.)

Of course, Federal financial aid (Pell Grant, student and parent loans, work study) is available for those eligible (eligibility is based on FEDERAL formulas), as are Cal Grants (state grant program for students who have certain h.s. GPA and meet family income index).

You're exactly the type of student I liked working with as a college counselor. Kids who came from less well off families usually appreciated the opportunity to attend college more than those from wealthy families, who saw it as more of a given.

By the way, my family was also low income; I was told by my high school counselor that I shouldn't even think about college because my family was "too poor." I took out student loans and worked 20-30 hours a week throughout college to make it through my undergrad degree; attending college changed EVERYTHING for me. So, I know about skin in the game.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-17-2017 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 11:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 941,462 times
This is the way it used to be and the way it can be again. My uncles went to community college 2 years for free, then transferred to university. California's still standing. This decision won't ruin anyone and has the potential to give the state and the country a boost that will pay off.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:48 AM

3,251 posts, read 6,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So the limited class availability will now be worse.
This new free tuition program is an attack on the community college system. This will lead to huge overcrowding of the basic classes needed for transfer. It is already difficult for many students to get into classes and this will exacerbate that situation. Students are already having a difficult time getting the courses they need. A program that allows marginally committed students to hang out in college for a free year will make the overcrowding much worse!

"many students may find that courses they need to take to fulfill transfer requirements are already filled to maximum enrollment. This can significantly set back a student's plans of transferring to a four-year university by months or even years."

https://www.communitycollegereview.c...never-transfer

However students attending the Cal State system will benefit from this program. Some students who would go to a Cal State will probably opt to get the free tuition at a community college. This might alleviate some of the overcrowding at Cal States.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,296,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
A year of California community college for a California resident, tuition only, costs about $1400 a year if you're attending full time (2 semesters, 15 credits per semester). (Full cost, obviously, would include books and supplies, transportation, personal expenses, room/board if you aren't living with family, etc.)

Of course, Federal financial aid (Pell Grant, student and parent loans, work study) is available for those eligible (eligibility is based on FEDERAL formulas), as are Cal Grants (state grant program for students who have certain h.s. GPA and meet family income index).

You're exactly the type of student I liked working with as a college counselor. Kids who came from less well off families usually appreciated the opportunity to attend college more than those from wealthy families, who saw it as more of a given.

By the way, my family was also low income; I was told by my high school counselor that I shouldn't even think about college because my family was "too poor." I took out student loans and worked 20-30 hours a week throughout college to make it through my undergrad degree; attending college changed EVERYTHING for me. So, I know about skin in the game.
I don't remember how the grants work, by time or total money? I used grants at the University, it would be a mistake to use them the CC unless unless you don't plan on going beyond that. Also if you're "moving out" to attend CC then I believe you're doing it wrong. I always thought the point of CC was to attend a local college on the cheap to get an associates, specific training or as a stepping stone to university.

Santa Ana college (and the surrounding CCs) is packed with students that come from poor Mexican and Vietnamese families, who is really struggling here? I personally don't want to pay someones tuition for them to feel it out.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM

12,794 posts, read 15,068,796 times
Wow, never heard about this! Of course they do it way after I've graduated from college! I graduated from 1 community college & got 3 more degrees from 2 universities. Also got 4 certifications/licenses.

Most kids will take advantage of this. (Of course, the ones who have no interest in college won't.)

I think some though will only go for that 1st FREE year to be able to say (& say on their resumes) that they've attended college, whether they graduate or not.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,847,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Wow, never heard about this! Of course they do it way after I've graduated from college! I graduated from 1 community college & got 3 more degrees from 2 universities. Also got 4 certifications/licenses.

Most kids will take advantage of this. (Of course, the ones who have no interest in college won't.)

I think some though will only go for that 1st FREE year to be able to say (& say on their resumes) that they've attended college, whether they graduate or not.
It will basically turn CC into high school continuation. I am a bring proponent of going to CC then transfering to 4 year. They should have just rolled back some of the tuition hikes and come up with a bette remodel for the costs of books, like teaching out of the previous edition that costs $5-$10 a book on the used market. When I went to Cc a little over a decade ago it was under $20 a unit and you still had plenty of kids that used it as a "my parents are making me do something after high school so let's sign up for classes and not attend for a couple of years" keeping classes full and preventing other stundents from registering. Making it free will exacerbate the problem.

They should at least have some cost to attending and create more certificate programs for in demand fields like the trades or nursing. At least teach skills that help find jobs instead of being a holding ground. The CC with programs mentioned above have huge wait lists to get into them. Unfortunately the education system is moving away from technical skills that actually would help people, especially those that do not want a traditional 4 yr degree.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM

8,410 posts, read 7,690,623 times
Quote:
I don't remember how the grants work, by time or total money?

It depends on the type of grant you're talking about. Basically need-based financial aid grants fall into one of three categories:

Federal grants (i.e., the Pell Grant)
State grants (in California, it's called the Cal Grant)
Institutional grants (grants the university pulls from its own funds)

Pell Grant eligibility is determined by the Federal financial aid formula which takes both parent and student income and assets into account for students under 24). It can be renewed for up to 12 semesters (6 years) as long as you meet the Federal eligibility standards each year. You have to fill out the FAFSA (Federal financial aid application) every year. This can be used at any higher education institution, including Community Colleges. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibi...aying-eligible

Cal Grant eligibility is determined by having a certain high school GPA in what are called A-G courses PLUS the state's formula for family income (looks at income and number of people in the family). You also have to complete FAFSA. The Cal Grant can be used at any four year college (public or private) within the state of California. It can cover up to full tuition at a UC or Cal State, but does not pay full tuition at private colleges. The amount you'll receive will be based on family income and the other types of financial aid your college awards you. Students who are eligible for the Cal Grant but opt to start at a community college have their tuition (fees) waived at community colleges. You can reapply for up to four years of study, but, again you have to reapply each year and your award will be adjusted based on current family income AND the other financial aid you may receive from other sources.

Institutional need-based grants are grants given to students by individual colleges and universities. In order to receive one, you have to apply for financial aid. The UCs and Cal States use the Federal formula to determine financial need, but many private colleges also take a more nuanced look at family and student income/assets using what is known as the Institutional Methodology. The amount you may receive will depend on the college's determination of your need, the college's available funds, and how desirable having you as a student is to the college. You need to apply for financial aid again every year and the amount may change each year.

There are also other forms of money available --

Federal student loans
Federal Work Study
Institutional merit scholarships alone, given by individual colleges and universities
Private merit scholarships, given by outside organizations

What many people don't realize is that institutional scholarships and grants are actually usually bigger than private merit scholarships. Families who are hoping for help paying for college -- regardless of their financial aid eligibilty -- should really carefully look at what type of scholarships and financial aid private colleges give before deciding that a UC will be "cheaper."

I have seen many instances where the need-based financial aid and institutional scholarships offered ended up making a private university or college the same price or even less than a UC.

It's awfully hard to beat the price of a Cal State though. And, it is nearly impossible to beat the price of a Community College, unless your child gets a full ride somewhere (which can sometimes happen).

But, you also have to factor in how long it takes the average student to get their degree from different schools. In some cases, slogging through a community college and Cal State for six or eight years may end up not being a value if you can get all of your classes more easily at a private and get your degree in 3 or 4 years.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,612,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that California students will now be able to attend Community College for FREE (first year only). This is GREAT news for California high school students and their parents!

Here's an article about this from the Sacramento Bee:

California will provide a year of free community college for new students

California community colleges will provide a year of free tuition after Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday signed legislation that aims to boost declining enrollment and address a shortage of college-educated workers in the state.

Assembly Bill 19 waives the first year of fees for any first-time student who enrolls full-time at one of 114 community colleges in the state.

At $46 per credit, or less than $1,400 annually for a full course load, California’s community colleges are the cheapest in the country.

Full story: CA free community college bill signed by Jerry Brown | The Sacramento Bee

Brown refused to sign another broader bill earlier this year that would have made all public universities free. At the time, he said that the cost of that bill was way too high. But, he decided to sign this much smaller bill last week, which is expected to cost only about $31 million a year.

Tennessee, Oregon and Rhode Island have already enacted similar Community College bills for students in their states, by the way.
This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing it. I missed it.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:05 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,315,184 times
Quote:
I don't remember how the grants work, by time or total money? I used grants at the University, it would be a mistake to use them the CC unless unless you don't plan on going beyond that. Also if you're "moving out" to attend CC then I believe you're doing it wrong. I always thought the point of CC was to attend a local college on the cheap to get an associates, specific training or as a stepping stone to university.

Santa Ana college (and the surrounding CCs) is packed with students that come from poor Mexican and Vietnamese families, who is really struggling here? I personally don't want to pay someones tuition for them to feel it out.
People attend community colleges away from home because the closest college doesn't have the program they want to attend. Some of the smaller colleges only offer general education courses and an associates for transfer. Other colleges have an extensive list of associate and vocational programs available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California