Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:28 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,393,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
These laws, proposed or otherwise, are not only silly, but really stupid all at the same time. This is where big government gets way out of hand and way too intrusive. Many Californians have got to be sick and tired of silly laws being put together (and, in some cases, passed) for one reason or another. Your state government wants to control and destroy the individual.
... unlike Texas’ approach to school curriculums that deny evolution and climate change while teaching America wasn’t founded on secularism. No influencing young minds there, eh?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,339,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I dont think anyone needs to go to jail or get fines. Besides does the punishment really fit the crime? These liberal tards keep say8ng they’re fir the downtrodden and the poor. Yet they’re gonna fine and throw n jail the exact people they supposedly wanna protect.

Not quite true. The people most likely affected by this are exactly the ones that Brown has specifically, methodically, and intentionally targeted:

Middle class, average people-suburban homeowners in the 60k-$150k income bracket are who he has in his crosshairs and undivided attention. He has been quite open of his hatred and hostility of that demographic and is determined to either eradicate them through legislation/incarceration, tax them into poverty, or chase them out of the State completely.

Look at this motley parade of inane laws and who takes the hit every single time. It's that demographic. That's by design. Brown knows exactly what he's doing.

Guess who also is going to shoulder most of the cost from his gift to PG&E.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:40 AM

8,502 posts, read 6,918,302 times
So much furor and political accusations about the lowly straw. Aren't there more important matters to be concerned about.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Not quite true. The people most likely affected by this are exactly the ones that Brown has specifically, methodically, and intentionally targeted:

Middle class, average people-suburban homeowners in the 60k-$150k income bracket
... They use more straws than the rich and poor? ... Oh my ...

Old 09-23-2018, 10:18 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,835,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Free needles is a epidemiological campaign to protect the public at large from the spread of diseases including HepC, HepB, HIV/AIDS.

Plastic straws are unnecessary single-use plastic environmental pollution ... the absence of which will mean nothing of inconvenience to users as equal alternatives have always existed.
Just wondering what else we should ban since alternatives are available? Cars? Low occupant boats? Small air planes? Buses? Sidewalks on one side of the street? Disposable diapers? Gum? Any toy made out of plastic? Tupperware?

In the grand scheme of “waste” worldwide our use of straws is meaningless. Not to mention the pollution created to make multi use stainless straws.

Punish people for littering, not everyone to make you feel good about yourself for doing “something”.

The government thinks it should control everything everyone can do. I don’t need another set of parents.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just wondering what else we should ban since alternatives are available? Cars? Low occupant boats? Small air planes? Buses? Sidewalks on one side of the street? Disposable diapers? Gum? Any toy made out of plastic? Tupperware?

In the grand scheme of “waste” worldwide our use of straws is meaningless. Not to mention the pollution created to make multi use stainless straws.

Punish people for littering, not everyone to make you feel good about yourself for doing “something”.

The government thinks it should control everything everyone can do. I don’t need another set of parents.
If you think it so silly you might consider how silly it is to get worked up over it, eh?

Your specious examples are pretty funny, bub. Other than disposable diapers and gum, none are “single-use”, for starters. And I’d be interested to read your “alternatives” to cars, boats and buses. Gum is biodegradable organic. Disposable diapers are your best argument, although they too are mostly biodegradable. And though I would agree with most parents on their utility, I would tend to support a ban on them as well, yes.

There is also as much argument for not making things to litter with as there is for the inevitable littering that follows their availability given human nature.

As for extra parents: everybody could use an extra set to call for money when the first set runs out of cash ...

Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
The people most likely affected by this are exactly the ones that Brown has specifically, methodically, and intentionally targeted:

Middle class, average people-suburban homeowners in the 60k-$150k income bracket are who he has in his crosshairs and undivided attention. He has been quite open of his hatred and hostility of that demographic and is determined to either eradicate them through legislation/incarceration, tax them into poverty....
What? Brown is a huge advocate for the common man; certainly more than our previous governors.

As he said last year, "“The litmus test should be intelligence ... (and) caring about the common man,” Brown said on a special edition of the public affairs show called “Our Broken Politics.” “We have to rise above some of our most cherished ideological inclinations and find a common basis.”

Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,835,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
If you think it so silly you might consider how silly it is to get worked up over it, eh?

Your specious examples are pretty funny, bub. Other than disposable diapers and gum, none are “single-use”, for starters. And I’d be interested to read your “alternatives” to cars, boats and buses. Gum is biodegradable organic. Disposable diapers are your best argument, although they too are mostly biodegradable. And though I would agree with most parents on their utility, I would tend to support a ban on them as well, yes.

There is also as much argument for not making things to litter with as there is for the inevitable littering that follows their availability given human nature.

As for extra parents: everybody could use an extra set to call for money when the first set runs out of cash ...
It basically boils down to if you believe in personal liberty or not.

I do believe in it. And people should take responsibility for their actions; not have their rights restricted because of what someone else might do.

The amount of plastic in blister packaging is way higher. I don’t hear anyone complaining about that. Same about plastic bottles.

Again the amout of energy needed to make stainless straws is way higher than hundreds of plastic straws. The average life cycle of a stainless straw before lost/damaged ends up causing more pollution than single use straws. But you don’t get to virtue signal to everyone else with facts. Same is true for plastic bags.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:55 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
The amount of plastic in blister packaging is way higher. I don’t hear anyone complaining about that.
Give that ban on blister packs a little time.

https://www.greenerpackage.com/regul...lifornia_trend

Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It basically boils down to if you believe in personal liberty or not.

I do believe in it. And people should take responsibility for their actions; not have their rights restricted because of what someone else might do.

The amount of plastic in blister packaging is way higher. I don’t hear anyone complaining about that. Same about plastic bottles.

Again the amout of energy needed to make stainless straws is way higher than hundreds of plastic straws. The average life cycle of a stainless straw before lost/damaged ends up causing more pollution than single use straws. But you don’t get to virtue signal to everyone else with facts. Same is true for plastic bags.
No. It doesn’t come down to whether you believe in personal liberty or not. It comes down to whether people have even half the brains god gave a gnat ... and they don’t ... or they wouldn’t sh*t the bed they sleep in metaphorically (as in trash our environment that supports us all).

You can “believe in personal liberty” and that “people should take responsibility for their actions” till the cows come home. I agree they are nice fantasy concepts. But truth is: 10,000 years of human civilizations since emerging from the caves has demonstrated without a doubt that people are stupid and short sighted as hell and typically do not take much responsibility for their actions as a rule.

Therefore, regretably: rights must be restricted for society to function safely and in good health. Tch.

As for stainless steel straws, I never suggested anything about them. I think the concept is hilariously stupid. Nobody needs straws to begin with (except for certain disabled folks and people who get punched in the mouth).

Funny how demanding accountability for maintaining a clean, healthy, attractive environment is negatively characterized as “virtue signaling” ... as if “virtue” is a dirty word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California