Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:56 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Make a choice to do something is fine, I only use multi use bottles. Mandating it is not; just because I think something is a good idea doesn’t mean the power of the government at gun point should be used to enforce that idea upon everyone.
<shrug> It shouldn't be necessary, but humans are thoughtless pigs. We can deal with that reality as best we can, or we can insist on ideals and accept that our environment is at the mercy of those with the lowest degree of responsibility.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:45 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
California native here. I agree humans are thoughtless pigs and it is necessary to have laws that protect the environment. There are so many other things aside from straws and bags, though. Toothbrushes are another example. Plastic dish sponges are another. As soon as you begin working toward eliminating the plastic you use, you realize how much waste you've been creating your entire life. It's very sad.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:51 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, how did humanity survive and prosper without straws of any kind for a few hundred thousand years?

Talk about “first world problems”!
It might not be a serious problem or anything, but now that straws exist we should be free to use them! As I said in my earlier post, for me it’s very uncomfortable (because of tooth sensitivity) to drink without one... I had a glass of ice water yesterday without a straw, and had to cover my teeth with my lips because it hurt them too much.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It might not be a serious problem or anything, but now that straws exist we should be free to use them! As I said in my earlier post, for me it’s very uncomfortable (because of tooth sensitivity) to drink without one... I had a glass of ice water yesterday without a straw, and had to cover my teeth with my lips because it hurt them too much.
Hmm. “Now that they’re here” doesn’t address the problem at all. Them “being here” is the issue. That said, I can appreciate that for some people they are a relief ... and I don’t see why people shouldn’t be allowed to buy re-usable plastic straws. It’s the ‘single use’ handed out to every glass of every drink that is worth addressing.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hmm. “Now that they’re here” doesn’t address the problem at all. Them “being here” is the issue.
I absolutely agree.

Oh wait, we're talking about plastic straws? Oops, wrong thread...I thought this was the homeless containment thread...

Old 09-29-2018, 08:24 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

So an illegal alien / convicted felon already deported at least a dozen times, steals/finds a gun from a LEO's back seat, and then proceeds to fire that gun, kills a young woman enjoying a walk on the pier, yet is allowed to walk by the state.

But a waiter who serves a drink with an "unrequested straw" will face up to 6 month in county jail and a fine.

Yes this is California now. Wait until Gavin’s elected. The last nail in the coffin.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
This is really not a big deal. They will replace the plastic straws with paper straws.

And yes, plastic in the environment is a problem.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-upcoming-ban/
It's weird to pick on plastic straws when there are so many other forms of plastic used daily. It just seems strange to solely pick on plastic straws when plastic manufacturer's are still mass producing plastic.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's weird to pick on plastic straws when there are so many other forms of plastic used daily. It just seems strange to solely pick on plastic straws when plastic manufacturer's are still mass producing plastic.
You're right, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way forward other than baby steps. Look at how people are freaking out over this tiny issue. That makes it clear why we can't just suddenly ban all plastics or something.

By the way, I too have the tooth sensitivity problem and need to use a straw. To the person who commented on the environmental impact used to create the stainless steel--true, but wouldn't you only have to buy a set one time? I plan on buying one set and keeping it for the rest of my life and carrying one around with me everywhere at all times. That should eliminate my need to use a plastic straw from here on out.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
You're right, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way forward other than baby steps. Look at how people are freaking out over this tiny issue. That makes it clear why we can't just suddenly ban all plastics or something.
Everything humans do is destructive to the environment. The biggest carbon footprint we generate is through having kids.

Picking on straws is silly when the ocean is full of debris from other sources other than straws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
By the way, I too have the tooth sensitivity problem and need to use a straw. To the person who commented on the environmental impact used to create the stainless steel--true, but wouldn't you only have to buy a set one time? I plan on buying one set and keeping it for the rest of my life and carrying one around with me everywhere at all times. That should eliminate my need to use a plastic straw from here on out.
I buy disposable bamboo straws. You can find environmentally friendly straws at Whole Foods as well as other places. I would be weary on using a stainless steel straw unless you have a very good way to clean it.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Everything humans do is destructive to the environment. The biggest carbon footprint we generate is through having kids.

Picking on straws is silly when the ocean is full of debris from other sources other than straws.

I buy disposable bamboo straws. You can find environmentally friendly straws at Whole Foods as well as other places. I would be weary on using a stainless steel straw unless you have a very good way to clean it.
I agree. I'm most likely not having kids, and this is one of my reasons. I also don't want biological children anyway, however. I don't think people should NOT have them for that reason IF they want them. It's just a nice side thought that I'm not contributing to the world population since I already don't want them. I'd have one if I ever met someone and got pregnant on accident, but already being in my late 30s and celibate the past 2.5 years, that's not looking very likely.

As far as cleaning the steel, would boiling them work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California