Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,320 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over CA, from counties like Lassen, Humboldt, Shasta, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, SLO, Santa Barbara, Kern, LA, San Diego, etc.

Favorite place to live so far was Santa Cruz County, but cannot afford to move back there atm. Looking for a town with similar feel to Santa Cruz, just cheaper. Looking for small town vibes, health food stores, medical marijuana dispensaries, health conscious community, laid back residents, liberal, etc.

Wondering your thoughts and opinions on the area, what its like to live there, the yearly weather, the locals, local authorities, local politics, things to do around all the small towns, Sonora Regional Medical Center vs Adventist Health Sonora, are there good dr.s there for people on medi-cal? Have never been to the area so would love to know any information you're offering

**Looking to move within 90 days**
Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:13 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I flat love the Gold Country. My favorite part of California. I lived in Mariposa County (just south of Tuolumne County) from 1974 to 1990 (went to high school there). I've never lived in Sonora, but went there often since my dad was working on the New Melones and Don Pedro dams at the time. While that is a very live-and-let-live area it is nothing like Santa Cruz or the coast. Its very conservative/Republican politically (Trump easily carried both counties). Closest thing California has to Wyoming or Idaho politically. As far as marijuana dispensaries, it doesn't have one. Definitely four seasons as far as the weather goes, but none too extreme.

Again, let me reiterate, while there is a wide swath of people living in the Sierra Foothills its nothing like the Bay Area or LA. Much whiter, much older and much more conservative. But again, you're free to do your own thing. Even back when I lived there we knew gay couples, old hippies, old gold miners, cattle ranchers, retirees from the big cities, etc... No one bothers anyone and its a quite friendly area - more so than anywhere else in California.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:12 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I lived near there there back in the 80's and I'm hoping it's still as beautiful today as it was back then. I remember a gold miner and his mule coming into Tuolumne. I also remember the trout trucks stocking the streams and grabbing our fishing poles. I hope you like snow It truly was a beautiful place.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Tuolumne County and Calaveras counties are great places to live. Happily Tuolumne is not very marijuana friendly. We’ve seen the the issues the marijuana friendly county of Calaveras has suffered-increased crime (murders, property crimes and environmental issues). If marijuana is your focus try Calaveras County.

We’re laid back and conservative. But open to all points of views. As long as you are open to all points of view. Narrow minded liberals (those who can’t agree to disagree) need not apply. Industry and environmentalists get along and work together here.

The hospital takes medi-cal as do clinics. Hospital is very good. Some docs take medi-cal, but not all. I wish you the best in your search for a new home!

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-05-2018 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 04:43 PM

66 posts, read 417,511 times
My wife and I "crash landed" in Sonora, Calif. (Tuolumne County) about six years ago. Yikes! We could clearly see that this was a very nice area to live....about THIRTY or FORTY years ago! And we were told as much by folks who'd grown up and lived in this general area. Nearly all the roads date from the Civil War period, or before. Roughly speaking around the late 1850's and early 1860's. Unfortunately for everyone, in the many long years since that time, the area has far exceeded it's basic capacity for REALISTIC GROWTH.
And educated guess would be that absolutely nothing will be done to deal with this local dilemma UNTIL some local lawyers' family member (or City Council person) dies from being unable to receive emergency aid, due to congested roadways! Big money coupled with foolish, unrealistic growth can garner a VERY dark side, which everyone in this area pays for each and every day to some degree.
Looking at the faces of drivers in the opposite lane, bumper to bumper some 40 or 50 vehicles long, is an "education" worth avoiding. GRIM, I think, would be an appropriate description. As with many things, however, no one is shackled to this area (unless they want to be), and we're no exception. Our long-anticipated EXIT from this over-priced, over-rated area should take place in the next six to eight months, God willing. California still has numerous areas worth one's efforts to explore and live in....sadly, the general Sonora areas has surpassed it's "golden period" MANY long years ago.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post
My wife and I "crash landed" in Sonora, Calif. (Tuolumne County) about six years ago. Yikes! We could clearly see that this was a very nice area to live....about THIRTY or FORTY years ago! And we were told as much by folks who'd grown up and lived in this general area. Nearly all the roads date from the Civil War period, or before. Roughly speaking around the late 1850's and early 1860's. Unfortunately for everyone, in the many long years since that time, the area has far exceeded it's basic capacity for REALISTIC GROWTH.
And educated guess would be that absolutely nothing will be done to deal with this local dilemma UNTIL some local lawyers' family member (or City Council person) dies from being unable to receive emergency aid, due to congested roadways! Big money coupled with foolish, unrealistic growth can garner a VERY dark side, which everyone in this area pays for each and every day to some degree.
Looking at the faces of drivers in the opposite lane, bumper to bumper some 40 or 50 vehicles long, is an "education" worth avoiding. GRIM, I think, would be an appropriate description. As with many things, however, no one is shackled to this area (unless they want to be), and we're no exception. Our long-anticipated EXIT from this over-priced, over-rated area should take place in the next six to eight months, God willing. California still has numerous areas worth one's efforts to explore and live in....sadly, the general Sonora areas has surpassed it's "golden period" MANY long years ago.
Hey Nature guy. This isn't your first rant about Sonora. How come you didn't leave yeas ago? I know a few things about Tuolumne County. Can you give an example of any area that has not changed in the last 40 years? Gosh, if Sonora was such a crap place why have the people who grew up there not left?

Let's get some facts straight. If you've lived in Sonora for any length of time you know darn well traffic is only an issue on one street-Washington Aka Hwy 49 the main drag through downtown and the locals know how to avoid it. Maybe you never figured out that taking the next street over allows you to bypass the congestion. It's like a mile long

Growth? tell me about the unrealistic growth you've seen in the last six years. Better yet, tell me about the unrealistic grown that has occurred in the last 20 years. There has been zero. The population of Tuolumne county is the same as it was in 1998 or close to it.

Roads? Yes the area has roads that date from the 19th century. All 20% of them (of what exist today) and those old roads have been bypassed or paved and widened during the last century. 75% of the roads in Tuolumne county were built in the 20th century and the other 5% in the last 20 years.

Some advice: Don't let the door hit your backside when you leave

Old 08-30-2018, 06:56 PM

66 posts, read 417,511 times
Fact remains, most people responding to my original post on the Sonora, Ca. area....weren't exactly downplaying my observations of this area! I'm afraid you're largely on your own, fella. And we do indeed have plans to vacate this questionable area in the coming year. Our plans are our own, and we're in the process of tying up loose ends here.

You wouldn't be a store owner or realtor, by any chance, would you? I've noticed many of these City-data postings have some sort of tweeked motivation behind them that feeds right in to keeping the wool pulled over people's eyes. Good for you that you are supportive of this area. You fit the bill, and as time progresses and word gets out about this area I feel certain you'll be pushing your luck. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all of the time.

Oh yes, here's another little observation you'll love. Five of the six years we've been here have had lengthy periods where wildfires from various areas around northern Calif. have inundated the area for days or weeks at a time (usually in the summertime), blanketing this area and adjacent communities with choking, suffocating smoke. Not exactly something the locals or tourists find terribly appealing, but I'm sure you find some consolation with even that situation! It's the lay of the land. Upslope of the mountains that, unfortunately for this area, allows smoke to settle in for lengthy periods.

There's certainly more constricted traffic areas than just dismal Washington St., as well. I drive through all the main streets around Sonora every day, and it all comes and goes. Ridiculous city planning! Nit-picking the pro's and con's of this area can go on forever. My intention is to reveal the place more honestly without having any financial considerations twisting my outlook.

Your move, bud. Looks to me like your "smokescreen" isn't going over too well.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post

Your move, bud. Looks to me like your "smokescreen" isn't going over too well.
LOL Or should I use Ha Ha?

Just leave and I wish you the best in finding the right place!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:57 AM

36 posts, read 43,853 times
I grew up in Tuolumne County. Graduated from Summerville High in 1993. Attended Columbia Junior College, and commuted to Stanislaus State for graduate and post graduate studies. I still have family and friends in Sonora and Twain Harte, as well as ties to Murphys and Amador County. There are many beautiful areas along the Hwy 49 corridor, Tuolumne County, and neighboring counties. There aren't many opportunities for work, so young people often leave to pursue careers (I had to). Living in the Sierra Nevada foothills isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed my time there!

Old 09-02-2018, 01:09 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,647,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfi View Post
I have lived all over CA, from counties like Lassen, Humboldt, Shasta, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, SLO, Santa Barbara, Kern, LA, San Diego, etc.

Favorite place to live so far was Santa Cruz County, but cannot afford to move back there atm. Looking for a town with similar feel to Santa Cruz, just cheaper. Looking for small town vibes, health food stores, medical marijuana dispensaries, health conscious community, laid back residents, liberal, etc.

Wondering your thoughts and opinions on the area, what its like to live there, the yearly weather, the locals, local authorities, local politics, things to do around all the small towns, Sonora Regional Medical Center vs Adventist Health Sonora, are there good dr.s there for people on medi-cal? Have never been to the area so would love to know any information you're offering

**Looking to move within 90 days**
Thank you so much!!
Nevada City/ Grass Valley is an area I have always thought of as more laid back and liberal than the central parts of the Gold Country.
Personally, I could but wouldn't live in the California foothills. To crowded and none of the communities layout were well planned. I have other issues too about the Gold Country but won't go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California