Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times

Advertisements

I'm not denying that California has poor air quality in some parts,but it has improved compared to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The others are correct but CA still has really bad air in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Because their still is a lot of Positive things about California

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
And yet three of the best places to live in the USA are in California:

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...the-us-in-2017

Eleven of the safest cities in the USA are in California

The 28 safest American cities to live in - Business Insider

Seven of the best cities for spending time outdoors:

Best US cities to live in if you love spending time outdoors - Business Insider

8 of the top 25 happiest places to live in the USA

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...d-states-2017/

Ranked 15th out of 50 for most fun state:

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-states/34665/

Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ort/384853002/

Here's a nugget that won't make the welcome pamphlet: California has the worst quality of life in America.

At least that's what U.S. News & World Report's most-recent Best States rankings say. The Golden State ranked 50th in quality of life by fairing poorly in the natural and social environment categories.

The report, released Tuesday, ranks states based on a healthy environment and a sense of community. It takes into account each state's urban air quality, pollution and voter participation, among other measures.

Thoughts?
as much as I am not a lover of CA like I once was and as much as I would never want to live in the bay area or Los Angeles again, I find these studies a bit silly. There is no way anyone can seriously rate the best or the worst of anything.

You are right, it will not make the welcome to our land pamplet.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Their are many nice communities you can live in throughout California that Low and Middle income people can make a comfortable lifestyle...It all amounts to Location,Location,Location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Not if you're poor!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth4truth View Post
that explains why my friends all dropped like flies, in their 30's, and why the population thins noticeably, in the 40+ demographic.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
I'm not denying that California has poor air quality in some parts,but it has improved compared to the past.
Yes it has improved.

Air quality is a major issue everywhere in general terms, not just CA. But since this is a CA board the air quality in CA is important to the readers.

In the past it was real bad, I know I grew up in LA as a child and in OC in my teens.

Now it is just, by comparison, ... bad. It is NOT good. Yes some days it is but if you follow the condition each day you see many, many bad days far more than good.

What is worse is even in the not so bad (still bad) it is a problem because of the frequency. Kinda like having a migraine headache 5 times a week instead of 1 or 2 a year. That often there is a problem. Ditto with pollution as it builds in the longs and over time damage occurs.

Being bad in Houston or SLC, etc had nothing to do with being bad in CA if someone wants to or does live there.

People just need to understand and be aware. Then it is their choice.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Which means it is not the best, just one of the best, based on their standards. CA is a great place if you can afford it and you live away from the bad air that covers most of the State.

Lung cancer is #4
Lung disease is #5

CALIFORNIA CAUSES OF DEATH BY AGE AND GENDER

And it hits in your 30's
States with the longest life expectancy: California is number 4

https://247wallst.com/special-report...pectancies/11/

Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
States with the longest life expectancy: California is number 4

https://247wallst.com/special-report...pectancies/11/
From your link, although CA has a high poverty rate, it also ranks high in terms of median household income:
Poverty rate: 16.4% (17th highest)
Median household income: $61,933 (9th highest)

Old 03-05-2018, 04:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
From your link, although CA has a high poverty rate, it also ranks high in terms of median household income:
Poverty rate: 16.4% (17th highest)
Median household income: $61,933 (9th highest)
The actual poverty rate is near 30% when the CA cost of living is figured in. Unfortunately the Median household income is not enough to live very well in the popular areas. Maybe sharing a room at that level of income.

CA is popular for a variety of reasons and that drives the cost of living up. The weather being good year round in most areas also helps with the life expectancy as people are more active year round.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
The actual poverty rate is near 30% when the CA cost of living is figured in. Unfortunately the Median household income is not enough to live very well in the popular areas. Maybe sharing a room at that level of income.

CA is popular for a variety of reasons and that drives the cost of living up. The weather being good year round in most areas also helps with the life expectancy as people are more active year round.
Why not give it a rest and just enjoy Tennessee, Florida, or wherever you currently live? So what if CA may be beyond your financial means, there are plenty of other places to live. Why obsess about the possibly unattainable? Do you find your new state to be enjoyable? Do you live there without sharing a room? I'm willing to bet that most Californians make it here without roommates. There are plenty of places beyond LA/OC/SD and SF where the COL is more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California