Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 890 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I were thinking about celebrating our 1 year anniversary by visiting your beautiful state. Now I will be the first to admit, as an east coaster that I know nothing about CA other than what I see in movies.

We were thinking about either going to Los Angeles or to San Francisco in November.
In either city where would you recommend staying (I don't need actual hotels more like general areas/neighborhoods).
We are 28 years old, we like music, movies, art, sightseeing, the beach, etc...
Neither of us have ever been out there. What are some things to do, places to see that you would recommend. We honestly like everything. Traditional sightseeing information is great as is anything else you recommend. I plan on doing some research of course but I wanted to ask you guys you thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:06 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,469,705 times
The fact that you’re coming in November I'd choose LA. While I love San Francisco, it’s one of my favorite cities in the world, it can get prettt chilly there come fall, heck it’s chilly there year round, but that’s part of its charm. Although the ocean is cold in November in Southern California, the chances for a nice day at the beach are still pretty good, there’s zero chance of that up north. I can go on about all the pros and cons of each city, but once again the time of the year makes LA the safer bet. If you do choose LA don’t forget a trip to San Diego. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve meet (my business is at the beach) that came down from LA and wished they spent their whole vacation here. Congrats on your anniversary, my wife and I are about to celebrate our 1st as well.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 AM

3,250 posts, read 6,315,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraLe View Post
We were thinking about either going to Los Angeles or to San Francisco in November.
If you like the type of vacation where you rent a car and drive to many fantastic places go to LA. If you want to see many of miles of beautiful beaches go to LA and San Diego.

If you prefer to not rent a car, take public transit and walk to places from your hotel go to San Francisco.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,988,928 times
Best time to visit San Francisco is in September and October. Early November is hit or miss when it comes to weather. If your into seeing iconic landmarks then Asan Francisco is your thing. Cable Cars, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge are cool to see. But as another poster suggested, Los Angeles will be better weather wise in November.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,331,876 times
Beaches are always windy & somewhat chilly in the SF area even during the summer, November will be very cold, windy, and not enjoyable to sit and relax at a beach, except maybe in Monterey & Carmel (if you choose SF).

I would pick LA based on your November timeline, simply because of the weather.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,567,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Beaches are always windy & somewhat chilly in the SF area even during the summer, November will be very cold, windy, and not enjoyable to sit and relax at a beach, except maybe in Monterey & Carmel (if you choose SF).

I would pick LA based on your November timeline, simply because of the weather.
Picking LA just for the weather is not a great reason. LA is LA regardless of the time of year. The Bay Area is the Bay Area regardless of the time of year. Gosh, why assume the OP is gonna want to sit on a ocean beach all day?

With that said, the Bay Area offers a much more diverse experience, both natural and man made than LA.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 AM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Picking LA just for the weather is not a great reason. LA is LA regardless of the time of year. The Bay Area is the Bay Area regardless of the time of year. Gosh, why assume the OP is gonna want to sit on a ocean beach all day?

With that said, the Bay Area offers a much more diverse experience, both natural and man made than LA.
I would agree with this, Plus one cannot predict the weather. November can be dry & sunny, or wet & windy in November, San Francisco, but we do not know yet what it will be. I would base my trip, more on what I wanted to see, or experience.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,331,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I would assume weather plays a huge factor for anyone, if they plan on spending a reasonable amount of time outdoors in general, not solely at a beach.

Would you want to be outside in the cold, possible windy with rain seeing sights all day? I highly doubt it. If the weather does in fact happen to be nice, then sure SF is a great option, but it’s WAY to early to tell.

One could always use Hotels.com (or something similar) to book hotels in each location and decide when it gets closer. Most hotels have a “pay later” option that doesn’t make you submit payment until check-in, with allowing cancellations up to 48hrs in advance. Think smart not hard

Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,507,930 times
I vote LA. LA will offer more of the storybook CA experience/vibe you are looking for.

I suggest a hotel or VRBO somewhere in the Manhattan/Redondo/Torrance area. If you're more into the hipster/bohemian scene, then try Santa Monica.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,567,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I vote LA. LA will offer more of the storybook CA experience/vibe you are looking for.
Assuming they want the storybook CA experience.

For a real CA experience go Bay Area/ Napa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California