Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

34 posts, read 36,966 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys!

I was planning on attending Columbia University next year for grad school, but since my financial aid package was quite grim, I looked for jobs instead, and I landed two amazing ones. They are two teaching fellowships, one in San Francisco and one in Santa Barbara. Both schools are fantastic, and when I visited, I had great rapport with the teachers and students at both.

The one in SF is offering me $40k with no room & board (with opportunities to earn extra money through after-school activities, etc), while the one in SB is offering $25k but with room & board provided on campus. Both offers are very appealing to me, but I've never lived in either city, and only have visited when interviewing on the campuses (so only for a couple days, didn't get to explore much).

It seems like both cities are beautiful, expensive, have great weather, and plenty of outdoor activities. Any advice on which would be preferable?

About me:

1.) 26 years old
2.) Bisexual male (more into women though)
3.) Not into drinking, drugs, or the club/party scene (honestly, I'm kind of a goody-two-shoes, though I'll drink at social dinners and such)
4.) Conservative-leaning moderate, politically-speaking
5.) Hobbies: creative writing, reading, going to the theater (plays and movies both), cafe hopping, going to local festivals/events, being outdoors
6.) I LOVE beaches, forests, wilderness, open green spaces
7.) Weather-wise, I prefer a mild climate with plenty of sunny days but not too hot, not too cold; I get too hot more easily than I get cold though. I would enjoy seeing -some- seasonal changes too. Fall foliage in autumn, cool crispness and new flowers blooming in spring, etc.

I feel like the two are pretty evenly split for me right now, but leaning toward SB. What do you guys think? Again, I haven't lived in or really visited either, so any first-hand opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

ETA: I know that $40k/$25k are both low salaries for the areas, but I'm not much of a spender and I think I can make either situation work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:35 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,999,886 times
Uh, I don't think $40k in SF would cut it without room and board, at least I'm trying to find a way where you could swing it without having to take a second job. You'd literally be living on someone's sofa, or under a bridge under my calculations.

The SB job is far more attractive due to the room and board offer. Also SF's politics are super far left. SB is a bit more moderate. Don't support ANTIFA, gender pronouns, or anything left of John F Kennedy and you'll literally be an outcast. I've seen it happen.

SB's weather kicks SF's weather all over the place too.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,507,559 times
Santa Barbara, no contest.

SF would need to offer considerably more money for it to be a viable option, IMHO.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the replies!

To clarify though, the room & board at SB would be me getting my own private room but sharing a house with 3 other people. So the reason I think $40k in SF could possibly be comparable would be that I could perhaps rent out a /room/ for about $1,000 - $1,200 a month, which would make the income on an even playing field.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescence View Post
Thanks for the replies!

To clarify though, the room & board at SB would be me getting my own private room but sharing a house with 3 other people. So the reason I think $40k in SF could possibly be comparable would be that I could perhaps rent out a /room/ for about $1,000 - $1,200 a month, which would make the income on an even playing field.
Damn dude. That would nearly be HALF of your take home pay just to live.

I think dollar for dollar you still come out ahead in SB.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

True, true...

So would you say the cost of living in SF (aside from rent) is a lot higher than SB though? Because I read that SB is an extremely expensive place to live too.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
True, true...

So would you say the cost of living in SF (aside from rent) is a lot higher than SB though? Because I read that SB is an extremely expensive place to live too.
Both are expensive realistically. But SF has a lot of ridiculous local taxes and "burdens" that hurt you too in ways you might not think of immediately.

Want a parking spot? Those are going for $200-$300 a month. In SB, you can get a free one every night relatively easy.

When you're dining in SF, notice your receipt at the end of the meal. You'll often find an extra surcharge of 5%-8%, BEFORE tip. Some restaurants mandate these for the higher "cost of business".

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM

626 posts, read 627,455 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

I hate to break it you boss man but you will NOT be renting a room in SF for that much. It will more than likely be a bunk bed in a room with maybe one other person, and yes I am being serious. The COL is the bay area is crazy to say the least. I would take the job in SB any day of the week. I have worked in a job where they provided the room and board in a 4 bedroom townhouse with 3 other people, and it is certainly doable.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 AM

626 posts, read 627,455 times
Quote:
True, true...

But you would already have your room and board taken care of. So it negates the fact of the low pay, plus it is in a more desirable area.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,507,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

It also doesn't include "board".

OP, I assume board includes a meal plan at the university cafeteria(s)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California