Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Do homeless people actually cause problems for you?
Personally no as I avoid areas where they exist.

Quote:
I asked a homeless person for directions in SFO recently. Guy gave me accurate directions. Another I gave food to and he said thank you.

Well I agree some are just people who are not homeless by choice or use drugs etc.

Quote:
Maybe we need to build more high density housing so people have places to live that are somewhat affordable?
Not in CA. Building costs too much for it to be affordable for the lower economic classes and many Middle Class as well. Fact of life.

Quote:
People are homeless because housing isn't affordable mostly. Some then do drugs and get desperate. Some people with nice homes do drugs too, you just don't see it as they do it in their home.
Smart people move. If they can't afford it, they should find a way to improve their income or move.

Now that being said there are some who are good people facing bad times and are not able to move.

However a huge number of them want no help, do drugs, are alcoholics, thieves, etc and will not change. What do you do with them.

Help those who will respond in a positive way to help them. For way too many they will not respond in a positive manner.

Nice home or homeless doing drugs, is stupid and a choice they have to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:22 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Personally no as I avoid areas where they exist

Not in CA. Building costs too much for it to be affordable for the lower economic classes and many Middle Class as well. Fact of life

Smart people move. If they can't afford it, they should find a way to improve their income or move.

Now that being said there are some who are good people facing bad times and are not able to move.

However a huge number of them want no help, do drugs, are alcoholics, thieves, etc and will not change. What do you do with them.

Help those who will respond in a positive way to help them. For way too many they will not respond in a positive manner.

Nice home or homeless doing drugs, is stupid and a choice they have to live with.
You avoid all of SF due to homeless? You must be a cultured open minded person. Obviously anyone not living in a crappy subdivision is subhuman right?

Homeless people have been a fact of life since ancient times. Many are temporarily homeless and down on their luck. Moving won't necessarily help and living in an area where you have a support system is wise.

The only reason it costs so much to build high density housing in CA is because rich NIMBYs make it hard and expensive to do so. It cost a family member over 2k to get a permit to remove a damn tree in Santa Clara county (and the neighbors had the ability to veto it). Literally permits for each new unit are often hundreds of thousands of dollars and existing residents can veto any new construction easily.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You avoid all of SF due to homeless? You must be a cultured open minded person. Obviously anyone not living in a crappy subdivision is subhuman right?

You are exposing your inability to think and read with understanding. Yes I avoid SF, nothing there I want to see any more. Ditto downtown LA.

Quote:
Homeless people have been a fact of life since ancient times. Many are temporarily homeless and down on their luck. Moving won't necessarily help and living in an area where you have a support system is wise.

Read what I said again. Some are homeless due to problems beyond their control and they must decide how to handle it and if they can be helped and want such help, help them.

Way too many want no help, they like the way they live, on drugs, alcohol, free to beg and steal as they wish.

Quote:
The only reason it costs so much to build high density housing in CA is because rich NIMBYs make it hard and expensive to do so. It cost a family member over 2k to get a permit to remove a damn tree in Santa Clara county (and the neighbors had the ability to veto it). Literally permits for each new unit are often hundreds of thousands of dollars and existing residents can veto any new construction easily.
No, Nimby's have nothing to ultimately do with it, they are just acting wisely to avoid more green areas being destroyed and over population, crowding and more in the way of headaches for the areas which leads to a continued drop in QOL.

It takes time and material and people and lots of money to build and there are only so many of each available. It would take too much time to build enough as the number needing such help would grow in the mean time. The cost would not go down as no builder wants to spend years building and lose money when he is done. The cost of permits is a small fraction of the actual cost. Even if no permit money was needed the costs would not drop enough to matter.

If you think it is a good idea, raise the money and try it.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:20 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The cost of permits is a small fraction of the actual cost. Even if no permit money was needed the costs would not drop enough to matter.

If you think it is a good idea, raise the money and try it.
Most cities build up when they need more housing/space. Zoning and permits prevent this. Many are put in place to artificially increase the value of current homeowners' properties.

Also California permits are often half or more of the cost of the purchase price of homes in many areas. So not a minor cost.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Most cities build up when they need more housing/space. Zoning and permits prevent this. Many are put in place to artificially increase the value of current homeowners' properties.

Also California permits are often half or more of the cost of the purchase price of homes in many areas. So not a minor cost.
Oh please, give some supporting documentation.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
On my caseload at work, I have a 24 year old white female from Philadelphia, PA who has no ties to California whatsoever....Yet...here she is, getting county General Relief money, MediCal, getting food stamps, getting "mental health" treatment (paid for by the state, of course) and getting CalGrants from the state to attend community college. She came to California, allegedly, because she couldn't get along with her mother and grandmother who were fed up with her nonsense back home.

She is just one of many people who is not from this state, has no ties to this state and, yet, is still claiming benefits here...and we're giving them to her! She has not worked one day in California, and therefor, has not contributed a single penny of taxes to the state social services fund.

Another case I have is a 28 year old white male from Missouri who receives MediCal and foodstamps. He only moved to California within the last year, but has no history or ties to the state.

It's shocking. While I feel sorry for these people and their situations, they did not get themselves into these situations in California, but in another state. And it is that state that should be responsible, not the taxpaying people of California!

I, myself, have contemplated what we -- as a State -- could do to change things here to stop this from happening.

Here are two solutions I came up with:

Re-open our mental health institutions and start actively putting people in them! ...If you want to claim a "mental health" issue, then you will be institutionalized! ...If that's not what you want, then you'll get off your ass and get a job, or, catch the next greyhound bus back home, wherever that happens to be!

I propose that the State of California conduct a census of the homeless population and then, once the data is collected, file a lawsuit in federal court against the states that are sending their vagrants here.

These people are presenting a "grievance" to the State of California and I think, we -- as a state -- have a right to petition the federal government for a redress of grievances.

Last edited by kttam186290; 05-25-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
On my caseload at work, I have a 24 year old white female from Philadelphia, PA who has no ties to California whatsoever....Yet...here she is, getting county General Relief money, MediCal, getting food stamps, getting "mental health" treatment (paid for by the state, of course) and getting CalGrants from the state to attend community college. She came to California, allegedly, because she couldn't get along with her mother and grandmother who were fed up with her nonsense back home.

She is just one of many people who is not from this state, has no ties to this state and, yet, is still claiming benefits here...and we're giving them to her! She has not worked one day in California, and therefor, has not contributed a single penny of taxes to the state social services fund.

Another case I have is a 28 year old white male from Missouri who receives MediCal and foodstamps. He only moved to California within the last year, but has no history or ties to the state.

It's shocking. While I feel sorry for these people and their situations, they did not get themselves into these situations in California, but in another state. And it is that state that should be responsible, not the taxpaying people of California!

I, myself, have contemplated what we -- as a State -- could do to change things here to stop this from happening.

Re-open our mental health institutions and start actively putting people in them! ...If you want to claim a "mental health" issue, then you will be institutionalized! ...If that's not what you want, then you'll get off your ass and get a job, or, catch the next greyhound bus back home, wherever that happens to be!

I propose that the State of California conduct a census of the homeless population and then, once the data is collected, file a lawsuit in federal court against the states that are sending their vagrants here.

These people are presenting a "grievance" to the State of California and I think, we -- as a state -- have a right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
What if a person has lived in four different states in under a year? Which state would suffer the unfortunate consequence of being "tagged it" in your scenario?...The unlucky last state (before California) on that person's list? My point is that "their" isn't necessarily cut and dried re what you are thinking about.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
What if a person has lived in four different states in under a year? Which state would suffer the unfortunate consequence of being "tagged it" in your scenario?...The unlucky last state (before California) on that person's list? My point is that "their" isn't necessarily cut and dried re what you are thinking about.
then it should be the federal govt that shoulder the expenses states cant choose their residents so the federal should step in those cases

Old 05-25-2018, 04:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

These people are presenting a "grievance" to the State of California and I think, we -- as a state -- have a right to petition the federal government for a redress of grievances.
I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but your lack of knowledge makes me question if it has anything to do with Social services in California. The reason that I say that is that any social or eligibility worker in the state would know that:

1) You cannot be institutionalized simply because you claim to have a mental health issue, there very limited situations under which a person can be committed to a mental hospital, there are not enough beds for people who have been committed and the cost of mass confinement of people to mental hospitals would be exorbitant. In Sacramento the county pays $950 a day to keep a person in a mental hospital, that is $28,500 a month or $342,000 a year.

2) There are Supreme Court decisions that require a state / county to offer the same benefits to new residents as they do to long term residents Right of New State Residents to Equal Benefits

3) There are very few if any states sending their homeless here, that occurred a few years ago with Las Vegas shipping their mentally ill to San Francisco. Homeless people are not without self will, unless they are mentally compromised they would simply refuse to be transported to another state.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:09 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
.... any social or eligibility worker in the state would know that:

1) You cannot be institutionalized simply because you claim to have a mental health issue, there very limited situations under which a person can be committed to a mental hospital...
Right. And apparently, Medi-Cal recipients are now required to fill this form out to continue to receive benefits. https://www.dpssbenefits.lacounty.go...HI_English.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California