Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:28 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

<mod cut: removed Wall Street Journal content>

Silly me I thought that the state of California was gaining in population on it's way to 40 Million Citizen's. The great Golden State of California is one of only a hand full that put Money (state revenue) into the Federal Government Treasury.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-26-2018 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: edited out previously removed content; carry on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
The authors of the article fail to mention that most state taxes weren't really deductible by high earners before since the AMT kicked it out. What's more, they seem to act like this change is permanent as if Trump and his followers will forever hold power. I think at the minimum you will see the marriage penalty removed next year and joint returns will be allowed 20k of a deduction.

People who pay a lot of tax in CA earn many hundreds of thousands to millions a year. For them, its worth it or they wouldn't be here. They aren't going to leave because their federal taxes go up a few %.

I could see it being true for Illinois and the NE because they are high tax burden without our great QOL.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Silly me I thought that the state of California was gaining in population on it's way to 40 Million Citizen's. The great Golden State of California is one of only a hand full that put Money (state revenue) into the Federal Government Treasury.
It is gaining by birth rate and foreign migration (legal and illegal), but is loosing resident to other States at a higher rate than move in from other States.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I don't have problem with low taxation. but you must realize that services are based on tax. low tax means your state/local government will be skimping the services they will provide.
It is illogical to want services, but not want to pay the taxes that fund said services.

And before the inevitable statement is made, illegal aliens are Not eligible for any sort of welfare. Be it in CA or TX.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is gaining by birth rate and foreign migration (legal and illegal), but is loosing resident to other States at a higher rate than move in from other States.
Diversity is a bad thing, right?

Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
I don't have problem with low taxation. but you must realize that services are based on tax. low tax means your state/local government will be skimping the services they will provide.
Sure. It's the central tenet of fiscal conservatism.

You must also realize that lots of tax dollars are absolutely wasted, and government (especially in California) are hugely guilty of poor accounting, budgeting, and cost overruns rife with fiscal abuse and fraud.

Giving MORE money to the government just means an increase in that waste.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:23 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Sure. It's the central tenet of fiscal conservatism.

You must also realize that lots of tax dollars are absolutely wasted, and government (especially in California) are hugely guilty of poor accounting, budgeting, and cost overruns rife with fiscal abuse and fraud.

Giving MORE money to the government just means an increase in that waste.
i am also fiscal conservative but social liberal. waste should be dealt with, no doubt. do you really think those low tax states have solved the waste?

https://ucommblog.com/section/union/...iking-teachers

Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
i am also fiscal conservative but social liberal. waste should be dealt with, no doubt. do you really think those low tax states have solved the waste?

https://ucommblog.com/section/union/...iking-teachers
No, and that's the problem. I've commented on the Kansas situation before. You cannot have fiscal conservatism without cost cutting measures. It's like using a bucket to throw water out of your boat, but not plugging the hole in the bottom of the boat.

True austerity requires both.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:16 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
There's always a new one each year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh goodie. Yet another CA is going to die thread. Yawn, yawn and yawn.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:21 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
the residents of low tax states are waking up with these non sense. ask teachers from Oklahoma, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona. they know the real deal and low tax is just BS. taxes are the life blood of government. what happens to you of you have low blood pressure? same thing with government.
We have sky high taxes. One of the highest paid teachers unions in the country and the lowest test scores and a high drop out rate of students. How is that better???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California