Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Cost of Living is unbelievably low. People are friendly. I've never seen anyone call a tent home (not to mention human feces on the sidewalk) We still respect the police and we have no state income tax. We also still have a say in our election process as we are not overrun with illegals

You should visit sometime

No need to get jealous. California is cool in its on way
But you live in a state where people swallow fake news, and regurgitate propaganda about illegals perpetrating voter fraud en masse.

Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll stick with the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,493,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Your equally comparing pooping in a hole in the forest to pooping on the sidewalk in a city???? I can't...
I don't believe he is comparing campers to homeless people. That's different.

Poor people who live in the mountains (Appalachia) are not that different from the homeless in an urban city. So, yes, pooping in the woods because you lack access to facilities is exactly the same as pooping on the street.

As I mentioned before, let us acknowledge facts and other people's experiences. The poverty in your backyard is no different than the poverty in someone else's backyard.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 PM

545 posts, read 514,843 times
CA GDP is a relative term because it is compared against other states with a lower COL. You can't compare a state where the average income is $65,000 to one where it is $35,000. It is like comparing sales from a 5-star restaurant to a local diner. Sure the 5-star restaurant will have higher gross sales (GDP) but its prices are also proportionally higher.

I always think a good real measure for a state is the income to home price ratio.

In Los Angeles County, for example, the median household income is $63,000 versus a median home price of $620,000, so the ratio is 9.8:1 -- or you will need about 10 years of salary to equal the median home price.

In the state of CA, the median HH income is about $70,000 versus median home price of $540,000 for a ratio of 7.7:1.

In the state of Iowa -- just picking out a state at random -- the median home price is $140,000 and the median HH income is $57,000 for a ratio of 2.5:1. WOW !!!!!!

CA is a huge state and its GDP is inflated b/c its COL is high relative to the country. It is the 5-star restaurant with high prices and thus high gross sales. If you normalize it for COL, the state is actually not that great economically.

Don't get me wrong, I love CA. But looking only at its GDP is not going to tell you anything truly important about life on the ground.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:18 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,276,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you live in a state where people swallow fake news, and regurgitate propaganda about illegals perpetrating voter fraud en masse.

I agree with you. Propaganda is not too extreme of a word for the media distortions about California. What you see on certain news channels bears little to no resemblance to the reality. Of course, we have certain challenges just like every place, but it's just not like that image. The media would have you believe that there are millions of illegal immigrants sitting on our sidewalks, waiting for handouts, or that we all live in neighborhoods full of homeless people, stepping over human waste. This is not unlike the propaganda that communist countries used to perpetuate about capitalist countries, warning people of a society riddled with drug addicts and homeless. Sadly, those things do exist and need to be dealt with, but fortunately, they are but a sliver of our overall reality. For at least 90% of us, life is pretty much the same as it is everywhere else.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,641,042 times
It has been said before, but I love seeing all the posters from random states coming to crap on CA here. Guess how much time I have spent on the Tennessee board.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,641,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Cost of Living is unbelievably low. People are friendly. I've never seen anyone call a tent home (not to mention human feces on the sidewalk) We still respect the police and we have no state income tax. We also still have a say in our election process as we are not overrun with illegals

You should visit sometime

No need to get jealous. California is cool in its on way
Hmmmm maybe check that glasses prescription??

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/david-plazas/2017/10/29/nashville-prospers-while-homeless-residents-suffer/718728001/

Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,292,618 times
“We have raised income taxes and imposed increasingly high fees to reduce greenhouse emissions,” said Stephen Levy, director of the Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy. “None of that has overridden the attractiveness of this state for talent and innovation and entrepreneurship

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/u...T.nav=top-news

Old 05-07-2018, 01:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
CA GDP is a relative term because it is compared against other states with a lower COL. You can't compare a state where the average income is $65,000 to one where it is $35,000. It is like comparing sales from a 5-star restaurant to a local diner. Sure the 5-star restaurant will have higher gross sales (GDP) but its prices are also proportionally higher.

I always think a good real measure for a state is the income to home price ratio.

In Los Angeles County, for example, the median household income is $63,000 versus a median home price of $620,000, so the ratio is 9.8:1 -- or you will need about 10 years of salary to equal the median home price.

In the state of CA, the median HH income is about $70,000 versus median home price of $540,000 for a ratio of 7.7:1.

In the state of Iowa -- just picking out a state at random -- the median home price is $140,000 and the median HH income is $57,000 for a ratio of 2.5:1. WOW !!!!!!

CA is a huge state and its GDP is inflated b/c its COL is high relative to the country. It is the 5-star restaurant with high prices and thus high gross sales. If you normalize it for COL, the state is actually not that great economically.

Don't get me wrong, I love CA. But looking only at its GDP is not going to tell you anything truly important about life on the ground.
It makes those who want to be called "Californians" feel good, even if it does little good for "Californians".

CA is a beautiful State, poorly run. What Businesses do makes it look good, but it is really only good for them or the Median income in CA would be above every State and all but 4 Countries and .... it isn't and the COL would be a non issue.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:04 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,677,891 times
Quote:

Lol, he also lives in a state where $250,000 buys you a verrrry nice home, where you don't pay state income taxes, and where there aren't illegals in your face constantly. I take it you're a liberal and claim to not care about taxes (though I bet you pay the IRS as little as possible legally), but for everyday average Americans, living in a state that's 48/50 in total tax burden makes a difference.

Me personally, the last straw was when I read that state tax dollars went to pay for a convicted murderer, in prison for life, who identified as transgender. (I'm a married gay man myself before I'm accused of being a bigot.) The state of California paid for his sex change. That's what CA citizens' tax dollars go to, so they can make sure a murderer, lifer in prison gets a fresh new vagina. Also, the front page of the LA times I'll never forget reading when the headline was "CA hands out licenses to illegals" and there was a picture of everyone rejoicing. Yes, let's condone criminal behavior. I'll take my red state flaws any day of the week.

I did it, it was fun, but unless you're very well off, CA is a circle jerk for the middle class.

We made over 6 figures and still no chance of buying anything decent, anywhere desirable.

I guess that's "normal" for out there, but it's ludicrous for most of the rest of the country.

We chose to stop flushing our livelihood down the toilet paying rent, never looked back, and never happier.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:

You know nothing about the State. They are no more gullible than people in CA. They swallow tons of fake news too.

Illegals by their existence are breaking the law. Do they try to stay out of sight, yes, do some break the law in criminal ways, yes. Does the State do much about it? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California