Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 02:19 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times

Advertisements

I've been working in San Luis Obispo for about a month now and living in Oceano which I'm not too happy about. However, it's free which is good. I may be moving here permanently and I'm curious if there are any nice loft apartments in downtown close to all the bars and stores or if there are any really nice apartment buildings downtown. From driving around I have not seen any nice apartment buildings but I'm wondering if there are any lofts on top of some of the nice stores. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,605 times
Default Unfortunately ..

I haven't seen any. I did know one guy who lived in an apartment above some store on Higuera, and he said you just have to drive around and look for rent signs in windows. Now, I know the city is planning to build a mix use building -- offices and apts, but I don't know when that is going to start. It would be an awesome idea, and I know it would be beautiful living on Higuera or Monterey.

I can't think of the apartment complex name, but several of my fellow Cal Poly grad students lived in a complex on the West end of Broad (over by Mill and Palm). It was a short walk downtown. I know, I know -- it doesn't have the same charm.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,507 times
truckzter,

How do you find the crime in the SLO area? Again, as on another thread very interested in how asthmatics fair there, very interested.

jOE

Old 06-02-2008, 12:58 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,605 times
Thumbs up The Best Place

macsret --

I wouldn't say there is a crime problem. If there are problems, it's from the college students. I got my BA at Cal Poly in 04 and MA in 07 .. and I also work there now .. I feel comfortable walking the campus and city at night (sometimes I'm at my office at 11pm, and I don't feel unsafe). SLO attracts some backpackers/transients-by-choice, but the PD is VERY particular about keeping SLO a family/tourist community. Most of the Cal Poly students will say the SLO PD are #*$&(&#^&#% because the city would rather squash the college students' "fun" than PO the families. For example, SLO had the largest Mardi Gras parade/turnout west of the Mississippi (no kidding). But it got so large, people started climbing buildings, running around naked, etc. The riot police had to come out to calm things down. The families and shop owners royally complained, so the city nixed ANY ANY ANY kind of Mari Gras festivities -- much to the chagrin of the college students. No amount of pleading will bring Mardi Gras back to SLO.

The city is trying VERY HARD to prevent growth and sprawl because people love the community feel.

The biggest complaint about SLO is there isn't anything to "do" at night because shops/restaurants close between 8-9pm. But college students are always walking around in groups at night, so it's very safe because the place isn't deserted. And, like I said, the PD is ALWAYS around -- either on bike or by car.

Asthmatics? As in people with asthma? Well, I don't really know because I don't have asthma. Many people are allergic to the oak trees, and sometimes pollens can be a problem. Public smoking is banned in CA, we don't have a problem with mold (because of the dry conditions), and because SLO is close to the beach, citizens get some really nice breezes. I can be more specific if you want to ask specific questions.

I hope this has been helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California