Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:05 PM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times

Advertisements

Moving up to Butte county 2 years ago, from the Bay Area cold fog, I thought I would not be able to tolerate the heat up here, triple digits are normal all summer long. We do go for walk, in wooded areas, so lots of shade, & we also do a lot of pedal boating on the lake, being on the water seems cooler & nearly always has a breeze. We adjusted & now enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,718,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Moving up to Butte county 2 years ago, from the Bay Area cold fog, I thought I would not be able to tolerate the heat up here, triple digits are normal all summer long. We do go for walk, in wooded areas, so lots of shade, & we also do a lot of pedal boating on the lake, being on the water seems cooler & nearly always has a breeze. We adjusted & now enjoy it.
Thanks for posting, evening sun. I figured there had to be some folks who either enjoyed it or at least learned how to enjoy some outdoor activity in it. I guess there might be a balance between enduring and enjoying the heat if finding ways to cope with it like walking in wooded areas or out on the water like you do - for some.

My question is really out of curiosity and not meant to be rhetorical. Although we don't like the heat and my wife says she will pick colder climates over hotter ones (we've lived in both), I know there are some who pick the warmer ones out of personal preferences.

Derek

Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, so true. Well, between Redding and Crescent City weather, I'd choose CC in a heartbeat.

My saying in CC was, "It ain't too hot and it ain't snowing," so I would remember not to complain about the cloudy, rainy, windy days.

Fortunately, in San Jose, even if the days are hot, it really cools down at night.

But oh boy, if you told me I had to choose living in snow in winter vs. sweltering summers somewhere else...that would be a painful decision, but I'd probably have to go with sweltering summers. At least you don't have to sweep snow off your car, or put chains on your tires, or worry about frozen pipes or put on layers of clothing only to go inside somewhere like a restaurant or the grocery store, where you have to peel off the layers only to put them all back on.....

But, I'm glad I don't have to make that choice right now. Crossing fingers I never have to make that decision again.
Yeah, the Bay area is pretty mild year round as is most of coastal CA. Its really hard to move and find anywhere without either extreme, isn't it?

As you know we are facing such a decision being priced out of Monterey and its perfect weather. We have friends and family who have chosen each extreme for more affordability. And some actually experience both like my wife's sister in Denver. Given our preferences and choices we're leaning toward the PNW near Portland. We realize they get lots of rain and occasional winter snow. But we've lived in the snow before in CO and Portland is more mild than that year round. I really wanted Sacramento to work. But she just can't take these hot summers among other factors.

Derek

Old 07-07-2018, 10:55 PM

21,759 posts, read 16,378,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, the Bay area is pretty mild year round as is most of coastal CA. Its really hard to move and find anywhere without either extreme, isn't it?

As you know we are facing such a decision being priced out of Monterey and its perfect weather. We have friends and family who have chosen each extreme for more affordability. And some actually experience both like my wife's sister in Denver. Given our preferences and choices we're leaning toward the PNW near Portland. We realize they get lots of rain and occasional winter snow. But we've lived in the snow before in CO and Portland is more mild than that year round. I really wanted Sacramento to work. But she just can't take these hot summers among other factors.

Derek
Derek ... I like Portland well enough ... but a note of caution re: heat ... Portland has a couple or three heat waves every summer at least . It’ll hit well into the 90’s from time to time every year and over 100* at times as well. Record there is 107* and that and 105*, 103*, and the like have happened noticably more than a handful of times. It’s gone into 90’s as early as May and late as October.

It’s not a coastal climate ...

Mutt

Old 07-07-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Derek ... I like Portland well enough ... but a note of caution re: heat ... Portland has a couple or three heat waves every summer at least . It’ll hit well into the 90’s from time to time every year and over 100* at times as well. Record there is 107* and that’s happened more than once. It’s gone into 90’s as early as May and late as October.

It’s not a coastal climate ...

Mutt
Thanks, Mutt. Yeah, we've been watching that and have family there who actually moved up from coastal CA. Nothing is gonna beat coastal CA weather, especially central and socal. But with all the trees, waterfalls, the Sound, the Gorge, lakes and rivers and coast within driving distance, I think we can find a way to make it work. Lots of hikes are in the trees which act as a natural canopy from both the rain and hot summer sun. And the swimming holes will definitely cool ya off.

Derek

Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks, Mutt. Yeah, we've been watching that and have family there who actually moved up from coastal CA. Nothing is gonna beat coastal CA weather, especially central and socal. But with all the trees, waterfalls, the Sound, lakes and rivers and coast within driving distance, I think we can find a way to make it work. Lots of hikes are in the trees which act as a natural canopy from both the rain and hot summer sun. And the swimming holes will definitely cool ya off.

Derek
Righto ... you know I love the NW ... wasn’t trying tospook you ... just a cautionary heads up. Seattle’s temp range is better than Portland’s. But, alas, the housing market in Seattle is rapidly approaching coastal CA. Better hurry if you are zeroing in on Portland too, for that matter. Seattle’s the next coastal California ... Portland is the next Seattle ... geeze, it’s disheartening! The pricing and development is out of control!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,902,882 times
I live at the beach so I don't have ac inside my house its miserable when the heat waves come, but outside it is kind of nice to have a little change in the temperature. it feels good being able to be shirtless at night sometimes...

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,153,896 times
What's worse: 110 degrees, desert humidity California heat or 93 degrees, tropical humidity Florida heat? I've experienced the latter but not the former.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
What's worse: 110 degrees, desert humidity California heat or 93 degrees, tropical humidity Florida heat? I've experienced the latter but not the former.
Dry heat is easier to compensate for: shade, a little water to spritz (and lots to drink), a breeze or fan = easy survival.

Humid heat, even at 10*-15* lower, requires power hungry A/C ... and lots of it ... and finger crossing the power doesn’t go out.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,153,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Dry heat is easier to compensate for: shade, a little water to spritz (and lots to drink), a breeze or fan = easy survival.

Humid heat, even at 10*-15* lower, requires power hungry A/C ... and lots of it ... and finger crossing the power doesn’t go out.
That's been my impression. We just went through a bad week long heatwave in the northeast. Brutal, because my living room AC was broken. But here on the east coast it very rarely gets into the 90's let alone the hundreds without being accompanied by humidity so I don't even know what a West Coast heatwave feels like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California