Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recommend Highway 58 out of Bakersfield CA to Barstow to I-40 for a lady driving by herself who does not have experience with a bumper pull. Many travels with a class A but not a bumper pull. She is coming to Benson AZ to get me to start our full time RVing.. Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
What, exactly, is the concern, OP? I've driven it alone several times, but without a bumper pull. A lot of women driving alone are apprehensive about crossing the Mohave desert alone, but it turns out to be not a big deal.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:57 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
The section from east of Bakersfield going up the hill to Mojave is scenic and winding. But not suitable for fast driving. Lots of curves and hills. From Mojave to Barstow is almost arrow straight. The only real hassle along this route is about 5 miles either side of Kramer Jct (58/395). It goes down to one lane and traffic tends to back up. A bypass around this segment is under construction. But I'm guessing it won't be completed for at least a few years out.

If you do the drive during daylight hours, you should be fine. Lots of trucks and trailers so tailgaters aren't likely to be an issue. I just wouldn't recommend this route at night or during the rain even for an experienced and confident driver, much less an apprehensive one.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Not sure what a "bumper pull" is. The only real concern is the high winds on occasion, (going up, across, and down the hill through Tehachapi). Otherwise, easy enough.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-16-2018, 03:34 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo4772 View Post
Does anyone recommend Highway 58 out of Bakersfield CA to Barstow to I-40 for a lady driving by herself who does not have experience with a bumper pull. Many travels with a class A but not a bumper pull. She is coming to Benson AZ to get me to start our full time RVing.. Any info appreciated.

I definitely would not do it as my first towing experience. I drive that route frequently in a Sprinter van which gets a lot of cross wind due to its height. I expect it and can handle it but again, wouldn't want to do that while towing even a small cargo trailer until I got more experience with towing under my belt. I see some of those featherlight travel trailers getting moved around by cross winds as well.

An out-of-control trailer can flip your tow vehicle over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvzVCU1wIo

Old 07-16-2018, 03:35 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not sure what a "bumper pull" is. The only real concern is the high winds on occasion, (going up, across, and down the hill through Tehachapi). Otherwise, easy enough.

Unless they hitch it to the tow vehicle improperly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California