Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 11:41 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,750,447 times

Advertisements

I'll third or fourth Monterey! Based upon what you've described its got it all minus the downsides you've experienced there.

We're from SoCal originally and know exactly what you are talking about. Unlike SoCal areas including Santa Barbara, Monterey population growth is flat with excellent, beautiful beach towns nearby such as Carmel and Pacific Grove. Then you have Big Sur in your backyard which is one of the top scenic wonders of the state. You absolutely owe it to yourself to at least check it out. You will not be disappointed if you can swing it.

We love it here. And the only reason we are considering a move is the high cost of housing while trying to buy a place. But if you already own in SB then it should not be much different than here. And you get so much more in the way of natural beauty and so much less in the way of traffic, over growth and sprawl from LA and the valley. While there are plenty of wealthy folks here the vibe much different. They do not wear it on their sleeve like SoCal. Walking down the street you can't really tell the difference. It's much less pretentious.The owner of our house and many more still comes over to fix broken items, shoot the breeze, etc... Its just more laid back in that way. And when you want to go for a walk to soak in the beauty you'll never get tired of all there is to see and do.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-25-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 AM

10,370 posts, read 8,617,689 times
As always I enjoy the pics. I do miss California a bit, but when I look at my improved financial situation and future it was worth it to move in the end. While California living can give you a good feeling, the feeling of financial security for me is even better.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 10,326 times
Hi aslowdodge, I sure do understand where you’re coming from on the cost of living in California.
Absolutely no offense, but there’s no amount of money that could make that Georgia heat & humidity bearable.
I do thank you for your thoughts.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 AM

11 posts, read 10,326 times
Thank you for the gorgeous pics, MtnSurfer

Old 07-27-2018, 12:13 PM

156 posts, read 164,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
As always I enjoy the pics. I do miss California a bit, but when I look at my improved financial situation and future it was worth it to move in the end. While California living can give you a good feeling, the feeling of financial security for me is even better.
Search your feelings. Come back. Deep down, you know you want to.

What good is it to have millions of dollars and be away from home? It's not like you can take it with you after you croak...

Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Financial security is nothing to sneeze at. If your decision works for you, I won't knock it.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,486,017 times
OP: How close do you need to be to a beach? Walking distance or is a short drive OK? Must a beach be in your view from your house?
You mentioned building a small pool. What if the house already has a pool? Yay or nay?
While you said "money not a consideration," do you have an upper limit on the price of a house?

Edit:
I just took a look at houses in "lower riviera santa barbara ca" on Zillow, and they are absolute bargains compared to what they would cost anywhere in a desirable area of the SF Bay Area that is anything like you described. If those views are what you can get in your area, I would be hard pressed to consider leaving Santa Barbara unless you are prepared to pay a great deal more.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-27-2018 at 11:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally A View Post
Hi aslowdodge, I sure do understand where you’re coming from on the cost of living in California.
Absolutely no offense, but there’s no amount of money that could make that Georgia heat & humidity bearable.
I do thank you for your thoughts.
Lol. Isn't Ca having a huge heatwave? Even without the heatwave the average temp in Redding, Ca is 95 degrees and that's comfortable?
You're talking to a guy who lived in the Bay Area for over 50 years and was spoiled by the weather there. That said you'd think I would melt here in Ga.
Outside of 3 months in the summer it's actually quite nice here. This summer it's either less intense or I'm just getting used to it.
There's millions of people here in Atlanta. Ga is the 8th most populated state so it can't be that bad weather wise. Even in the summer I see people walking and running in mid day. I actually see more of them than I did in Ca.
Honestly if someone said retire now and move to Ga and we'll give you 10 million you wouldn't do it? You'd rather stay in Ca?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Search your feelings. Come back. Deep down, you know you want to.

What good is it to have millions of dollars and be away from home? It's not like you can take it with you after you croak...

lol
Actually I have a friend in California that I am pretty sure he thinks he will take it with him!
Anyways, spend a week exploring the Ca foothills. If you like it and can work from home that's your ticket. Especially close to Sacto. It's pretty and it's way cheaper than coastal Ca.
But you said Central Valley on another post, yeah not so much. Hot and some humidity, some bad air and kind of ugly. Stick with the sierra foothills.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally A View Post
We’ve lived in SB for almost 20 years and felt we were blessed to live in “almost paradise” ... until lately ... it’s become so crowded including traffic problems, the weather is so much hotter and more humid, the fires unbearable, and crime & gang activity is up.
Perhaps as a result, the people/vibe here has deteriorated drastically. We used to be so proud to say how special, friendly and open people were ... not so much anymore. So much pretension, people living beyond their means, LA-ish in their obsession with physical appearance, much less friendly, open, chill (no offense to the LA crowd, I lived there and liked it).
Bottom line is that we feel that SB has lost its small town charm and is now a small city that is not headed in the right direction for us.
We live on the lower Riviera in SB which has many pros: ocean & city lights views, 10 mins to downtown, sunnier above the heavy coastal fog.

Any ideas on where we wouldn’t lose what we love about Santa Barbara, but get back to a smaller town feel?
(money not a consideration, everywhere is too expensive)
Monterey Peninsula?
Marin?
Outside San Diego?
Stay in Santa Barbara ?

The fine print:
We are a couple with no kids in our 60s, retired, travel.
When we’re home, factors most important to us:
1. Relaxation: privacy and quiet (but not isolation)
2. Going out as a couple to restaurants, festivals, day trips
3. MUST be able to build at least a small swimming pool for physical therapy (so not a condo or community pool)
4. Outdoor activities, non-extreme like biking, beach walks, hiking
5. Good health care close and within a couple of hours of major health care center
6. Partying, Socializing for the young at heart

Thank you for any thoughts!
I think Santa Barbara is a great place. Almost anywhere you want that is nice has probably gotten more crowded.
Mtnsurfer is the expert on monterey.
Carmel is nice, but pricey and might be a bit snobby
How about San Juan capistrano, San Clemente, or Oceanside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California