Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM

81 posts, read 182,298 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Longmont which is somewhat close to Boulder, CO and there may be possible job opportunities in southern California. I used to live in the Bay area as a child and miss the beauty of it. Colorado of course is pretty too with it's majestic mountains etc but I actually find part of it really bland and dull (Eastern side)- feels like Midwest. And I don't like being in a landlocked state. As far as Boulder it's nice but feels kind of small to me. I guess in a nutshell I'm not crazy about Colorado but it certainly has some nice things compared to where we were living previously a year ago in Vermont. We now are renting a decent house in a good neighborhood and are within walking distance to some things. I do feel lucky to be where we are now as Vermont offered the opposite to us but I can't help but still long for CA. Anyone out there who has lived in both Cal and Co? And if so where were you happier. I should note that we have a toddler, 4 year old and baby. We like an area that's thriving and alive with character and is good for raising a family. While I appreciate the convenciences of suburban areas and need quick access to stores and such i don't want to be stuck living in a suburban sprawl. We like a real downtown, not just strip malls. Now I know it may very not be realistic living in California as our income may not allow it but I'd like to still look into it. We would want to rent a 3 bedroom house that would be no more than 2500. The 2 possible locations of the jobs are Camarillo and Irvine. Thoughts anyone-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 06:58 AM

922 posts, read 1,113,186 times
Sorry to break it to you, but the possibility of renting a home for no more than $2500 a month in/near those cities is almost nil. I did a search on Realtor.com and there are literally 3 homes for BOTH of those cities that are under $2600. Those counties are notorious for being expensive with horrible traffic and, while you're closer to a beach, So Cal beaches leave much to be desired.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd stay in CO and try to move to a place near a lake or river if you're missing bodies of water. I was born, raised and lived in So Cal for 34 years and just couldn't put up with the culture and high prices anymore. So my family and I moved to TX and we're much better off now, in many ways.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Well at least there's a few homes available. I forgot to mention that Temecula is a possibility too which seems to be less expensive. As far as lakes or rivers that doesn't really exist much here. And it's the beach vibe I long for. Just a different feeling altogether. Something laid-back though - I don't want the ritzy area. Not that that's an option anyway

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 979,347 times
Obviously, NorCal and SoCal are very different, so the beauty of NorCal May not apply to SoCal.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 AM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Unless you can work from home Temecula is kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's also pretty much desert that sees uppers to 100 a LOT.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Isn't Temecula just 40 so minutes from the closest beach in Oceanside? And an hour from San Diego? I wouldn't classify that as in the middle of nowhere. I have lived in what felt the middle of nowhere in Vermont. I mean sure i wish it was just minutes away from the cities and beach but maybe it would be a good trade-off in order to get a decent place to live.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Is Temecula boring? I know it has this Western themed old Town and has wineries surrounding it. P

Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Isn't Temecula just 40 so minutes from the closest beach in Oceanside? And an hour from San Diego? I wouldn't classify that as in the middle of nowhere. I have lived in what felt the middle of nowhere in Vermont. I mean sure i wish it was just minutes away from the cities and beach but maybe it would be a good trade-off in order to get a decent place to live.
You need to consider traffic up there. It's an hour from the beach if there isn't any traffic. You ok with high heat?

From July to September, Temecula experiences hot, dry weather with the occasional North American monsoonal flow that increases the humidity and brings isolated thunderstorms. Most of the storms tend to be short lived with little, if any rainfall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temecu...fornia#Climate

Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 AM

130,527 posts, read 12,143,244 times
You may be hankering after something that no longer exists. ( old time beach vibes ) You also need to run the numbers & see if it will work for you family, economically.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:04 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,577,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
I forgot to mention that Temecula is a possibility too
It is the definition of suburban sprawl. Have you ever been there, experienced the summer desert heat from May until October? And how, exactly, are you going to get from Temecula to Irvine/Camarillo? You've got an off-limits Marine base to your southwest, and Cleveland National Forest to your northwest. You'll be cutting through neither. People who live in Temecula either work there (few people), or do a hellacious commute to San Diego County (many people). And I won't be able to accurately communicate in words the absolute misery of the Temecula-San Diego proper commute, the jam-packed roads from the city of San Diego all the way up to Temecula, and how long you could be sitting in traffic in the two-lane freeway portions of I-15 for many, many miles. If you're not working in Temecula, just forget it.

Quote:
We like a real downtown, not just strip malls. . . . We would want to rent a 3 bedroom house that would be no more than 2500.
This simply will not be happening in any major downtown city in South LA, especially not one with good schools, a reasonable commute, and a decent house. I guess you could hit your target price in certain sections of Santa Ana, if you are willing to risk your kids' public education on some really crappy schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California