Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is a 4am last call a good idea
Yes 9 32.14%
No 14 50.00%
Yes, but only on the weekend 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on this topic.

State senators on Thursday voted to approve a bill that would extend last-call hours in Cathedral City, Coachella, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Palm Springs, Sacramento, San Francisco, and West Hollywood beginning as early as 2021.

A 4 a.m. last call may soon come to nine California cities not named San Diego - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
And the police are all groaning who work the graveyard shift. I think it's insane. The stuff I read about it said the upside was that it would allow these cities to compete with cities like Las Vegas. But, they're nothing like Las Vegas. And why would that be a good thing?

It won't affect me, because I'm never out and about when the bars are closing anyway. But, just wait for the statistics to come out regarding drunk driving, arrests, etc., getting worse.

I just really don't understand why any of them voted for this.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:26 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
Against it
State is too big, too much traffic, room for terrible accidents

Old 09-01-2018, 05:59 AM

665 posts, read 613,556 times
Yes, I think is long overdue. Based on the number of cities mentioned, others should have to opportunity to decide if they want to do it.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:46 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Nothing good happens after midnight. I'm home long before that (so it doesn't matter to me).

Old 09-01-2018, 05:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
If you’re drunk at 4am it’s no different than being drunk at 2am or midnight. Gosh, I’ve followed drunk drivers at 5pm.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you’re drunk at 4am it’s no different than being drunk at 2am or midnight. Gosh, I’ve followed drunk drivers at 5pm.
But, don't you worry about them being 2 hours of more drinking drunk than they would have been at 2am?

By 2am, anyone who shouldn't be driving has been established. Add 2 more hours of partying - I just can't see anything good coming from that.

The only way these establishments are making money in those 2 extra hours, is the excessive drinking done by people already drunk.

Hopefully, the lawsuits will increase as to blaming these establishments for letting people leave the premises drunk. But, apparently, we need to up the penalties for that - or there is no way they would have been pushing for this. They apparently aren't worried about being penalized for serving drunk idiots after 2am.

And God help the Uber drivers who are desperate enough to drive those people who end up barfing in their cars.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Glad to see this finally passed albeit I think the original proposal from a year or two ago was better.

The original proposal would have removed the stupid 1930's law from the books and left it up to each city to decide how late they want to allow bars to serve booze. But I'll take this as it is certainly better than the status quo.

A later last call is the norm in many other cities both in the USA and other large metro areas around the world. About time we Californians get with the times and let the bars stay open later! I hope Brown signs it into law.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:02 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Nothing good happens after midnight. I'm home long before that (so it doesn't matter to me).
That’s such a silly statement (which I’ve heard before). Not everyone keeps normal hours and/or works 9-5, so there are plenty of decent folks out & about after midnight. I don’t even get home from work until 9-10pm most nights, and love doing my shopping and other things after that - no traffic or major crowds! I even walk my dog after midnight very often, and we’re certainly not up to any trouble.

Unless you live in a small town, there are people doing all sorts of innocent things at that hour. But because it doesn’t affect YOU, who cares? I don’t even drink alcohol, so it doesn’t matter to me when last call is... but I’m also not sitting here in judgment of people who are out late.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:20 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
The less laws that prohibit us the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California