Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

After looking at the east coast hurricanes people in California should be happy hurricanes aren't a big problem on the west coast. If they were I could see places like this Santa Barbara coast getting ate up by a strong hurricane.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 02:25 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
To any weather enthusiast. Here's some info on the possibility of a hurricane hitting southern California.

Quote:
But could a hurricane ever make landfall in Southern California? The answer, as it turns out, is yes, and no. While there has never been a documented case of a hurricane making landfall in California, the Golden State has had its share of run-ins and close calls with tropical cyclones...

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...20121017a.html

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM

2,980 posts, read 1,565,866 times
Researchers have assessed that a storm in 1858 struck San Diego as a hurricane.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Landsea...ethlandsea.pdf

Old 09-20-2018, 09:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Well, that's a big part of why we live here. No hurricanes, no horrible humidity, no huge bugs...

The minuscule threat of an earthquake affecting us is worth it compared to living somewhere like the southern east coast or even the TX coast. The odds of anyone on the west coast being evacuated due to weather are extremely slim.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
The water in the Pacific Ocean isn't warm enough to sustain hurricanes. Massive storms, yes but hurricanes, no.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:03 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The water in the Pacific Ocean isn't warm enough to sustain hurricanes. Massive storms, yes but hurricanes, no.
Tell that to Hong Kong and the Philippines, both of which just got hammered last week (Typhoon Mangkhut) - worse than the Carolinas.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
I rolled my eyes when people in Phoenix claimed the same thing, but yes, hurricanes can happen in Southern California (albeit rarer than the Southeast). Pacific hurricanes form off the coast of Latin America and usually continue west, in general. Like Atlantic hurricanes, they can also veer north and heavy remnants can hit the area. I mentioned Phoenix, and it's entirely possible that town could get hit with one (and actually almost did earlier this year, but it veered more to the east), and Southern California is no exception. On top of that, Atlantic hurricanes can cross Central America into the Pacific (most recently, Hurricane Otto) and also veer north.

If it's strong enough before reaching cooler water, yes, it could still pack a punch. Anecdotally, several years ago I met someone from Dallas (hundreds of miles from a coast) whose company evacuated him ahead of Hurricane Rita (and evacuations were present far inland). I'd rather not see catastrophic flooding and winds here, especially with the heavily built-up land and hilly terrain, but I know that is a possibility. Still though, fear of hurricanes did not even cross my mind in considering a place to live and I'm not going to fret about the possibility that one might happen.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Tell that to Hong Kong and the Philippines, both of which just got hammered last week (Typhoon Mangkhut) - worse than the Carolinas.
I was referring to the Pacific Ocean off the California beaches as asked in the OP. Besides, water temps in the Philippines and Hong Kong are warmer than off the California coast which is why we see hurricanes. That doesn't mean the state won't start seeing them (in the future) as ocean water temps continue to warm. We already see tornadoes in the northern inland part of the state where we never saw them before.

Stop trying to argue and research more as to why some parts of the world have severe storm and others don't.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:00 AM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Who needs hurricanes..... we have earthquakes. Lol

Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I wouldn’t worry about natural disasters. The odds of being injured or killed is so low. Neighborhood crime should be more of a concern in deciding where to live. Whether wildfires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes etc, the odds are so low, especially if you live in a structurally sound building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California