Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 PM

21 posts, read 45,511 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Orcutt, but may have gotten a job in Lompoc. It would be a 25-30 min commute, but ideally I’d like to live closer to Santa Barbara. I’m curious, does anyone commute from Santa Barbara to Lompoc, or vice versa? Google maps says it will take about an hour, but I’m wondering how long it takes in real-life situations, if it’s feasible. Also wondering if there are any decent areas “in between” Santa Barbara and Lompoc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Well, Solvang is about 45 minutes from Santa Barbara, but that doesn't get you much closer to your goal. There really isn't anything in between to speak of.
Lompoc housing is about as cheap as it gets in SB County, so you may want to take advantage of that.
You can get down to Gaviota and Refugio, if you want beach activities on the weekends.
And, yes, it's a good hour between Lompoc and SB. Beautiful drive either way you go (101 or 154), but that, as a commute, would get very old, very fast. I'd also worry about making a hood ornament out of deer going up and down 154.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hye345 View Post
I currently live in Orcutt, but may have gotten a job in Lompoc. It would be a 25-30 min commute, but ideally I’d like to live closer to Santa Barbara. I’m curious, does anyone commute from Santa Barbara to Lompoc, or vice versa? Google maps says it will take about an hour, but I’m wondering how long it takes in real-life situations, if it’s feasible. Also wondering if there are any decent areas “in between” Santa Barbara and Lompoc.

Really? You live in Orcutt and you don't know the answers to your questions already? Move to Buellton!!

Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
The Santa Ynez Valley (Buellton/Solvang/Santa Ynez/Ballard) would be what you're looking for geographically. The Wine Country Express bus runs between Buellton/Solvang and Lompoc if you're so inclined to use transit.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM

21 posts, read 45,511 times
Interesting suggestions.

Right now, my commute to my (future) job is gonna be about 25-30 minutes, But so far, most of the people I’ve met, as well as most areas with fun stuff to do, are about 25 to 45 minutes in the OTHER direction. Either way, I feel like these days, I’m gonna be commuting for both work and play... might as well have a longer commute, but actually live in/within 10 min of an area you enjoy. To that end, I was thinking about Goleta.

Last edited by hye345; 12-04-2018 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-07-2023, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
Default Don't commute from Lompoc to S. Barbara. Live in Lompoc

I wouldn't commute from Lompoc to Santa Barbara.

The better option would be to live in Lompoc, have a 5 minute commute to work everday, and save a full TEN HOURS PER WEEK of your life. Plus, you'd save money $$$. Don't spend your life living in a car commuting. Just pick a nice place in Lompoc (North Lompoc is great).

On weekends you could go to Santa Barbara for shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.

If you want to get away from Lompoc for a restaurant: great options are 20 minutes away -- Orcutt, Los Olivos, Los Alamos, Solvang.

Lompoc has AMAZING wineries, the Pacific Ocean, quiet neighborhoods to take jogs, fewer homeless, golf.

If you buy a house in Lompoc, you get more square footage, a bigger yard, quieter neighbors (if you pick a good neighborhood). You literally save hundreds of thousands of dollars, compared to a house in Santa Barbara. Just visit Santa Barbara on the weekends and enjoy a quieter, better quality of life in Lompoc.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
I wouldn't commute from Lompoc to Santa Barbara.

The better option would be to live in Lompoc, have a 5 minute commute to work everday, and save a full TEN HOURS PER WEEK of your life. Plus, you'd save money $$$. Don't spend your life living in a car commuting. Just pick a nice place in Lompoc (North Lompoc is great).

On weekends you could go to Santa Barbara for shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.

If you want to get away from Lompoc for a restaurant: great options are 20 minutes away -- Orcutt, Los Olivos, Los Alamos, Solvang.

Lompoc has AMAZING wineries, the Pacific Ocean, quiet neighborhoods to take jogs, fewer homeless, golf.

If you buy a house in Lompoc, you get more square footage, a bigger yard, quieter neighbors (if you pick a good neighborhood). You literally save hundreds of thousands of dollars, compared to a house in Santa Barbara. Just visit Santa Barbara on the weekends and enjoy a quieter, better quality of life in Lompoc.
Nice post. About 4 years too late, though. The OP undoubtedly has already made his decision and is settled in to his new location

Interesting reason to join a forum: make a post to a 4-year-old defunkt thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California