Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 09:07 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
My point on prop 13 is it is great if you bought a house a long time ago, but now cities don't want to permit housing because of it so now we have a housing shortage
Although there are lots of other factors leading to the housing shortage.

https://www.cato.org/blog/future-cal...proposition-13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 01:38 PM

612 posts, read 353,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Although there are lots of other factors leading to the housing shortage.

https://www.cato.org/blog/future-cal...proposition-13

Yes that's true. Imo a lot of the policies adopted have just compounded the problem

Old 03-05-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Prop 13 is a handout because it is subsidized and dependent upon new home owners paying a lot more in taxes. It would be fine if property taxes were low for all.
I'm surprised, with all the threads about California you've started and all the research you've apparently done, that you aren't aware of how Prop. 13 works.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
One of my relatives bought a house over twenty years ago for about 900k. It was a fixer upper and he had to do major repairs on it and pull permits unless he wanted to live in a disgusting home. He did this over the next 10 years and now the home is very nice. But his house is worth almost 2 million but he essentially gets no benefit from prop 13 because he fixed up his home. He’s retirement age now too but gets no benefit.
He gets no benefit from Prop. 13 because he fixed up his home? His house should have been re-assessed with each major remodeling job he did--with a supplemental tax bill to reflect that--and it sounds as if it was.

Quote:
Other coworker tried doing major repairs on a property in Sonoma and the county flew drones down, took photos through windows and took him to court. He had to settle for almost 50k in fines after a long protracted legal battle.
Did he do the remodeling himself without pulling permits? I can't imagine any other way this would have happened.

Quote:
Id prefer if they simply spread tax cuts to everyone. Just lower the taxed assessment rate to well under 1% for everyone and don’t have restrictions on repairs. Same property tax revenue but much better housing stock.
"Repairs" do not result in a re-assessment of residential property.

https://assessor.lacounty.gov/homeow...w-construction

Old 03-05-2023, 05:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I disagree. Newcomers should pay more, that's how we encourage measured gentrification in desirable areas while at the same time preventing seniors and other types of lower-income locals from being displaced so rapidly that it destabilizes the local social structure.
And ugly homes people don’t want to fix beyond basic maintenance due to reassessment worries. I haven’t seen any area of the planet with so many old rotting low quality homes valued at a million dollars + as the Bay Area. In any other area with this much money old homes would quickly be gutted and redone. Instead we still have cheap homes from the 50s and 60s everywhere because the owners want to keep paying artificially low taxes.

California passes a law to help keep people in their homes then passes another law to try to fix that and another to fix that. At the end of the day we have astronomical permit costs and incredible difficulty building new homes.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:52 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
He gets no benefit from Prop. 13 because he fixed up his home? His house should have been re-assessed with each major remodeling job he did--with a supplemental tax bill to reflect that--and it sounds as if it was.

Did he do the remodeling himself without pulling permits? I can't imagine any other way this would have happened.

The definition of “repairs” varies by county. Mine is much more stringent than Los Angeles. I hid a kitchen remodel from neighbors (new floors, new countertops, new cabinets) recently and a lot of contractors straight up refused to do it without pulling permits which would make me pay thousands more every year in taxes. Total unnecessary PITA. Sounds like in LA that might be okay but certainly not in my area despite the fact it had 0 effect on structural integrity or plumbing.

Old 03-05-2023, 06:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say...."it's always something"

Thanks CA4Now for saving the rest of us the trouble.

Old 03-05-2023, 08:43 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:

If the law is as fuzzy as the explanation, there's a LOT of wiggle room:

New Construction
Under California property tax law, “new construction” is defined in four general categories:
"Any physical alteration of any improvement, or a portion thereof, to a “like-new” condition, or to extend its economic life"

So.,. under a hostile interpretation: The paint is peeling off my rental house. I repaint it so it won't fall apart and become unrentable, thereby extending its economic life. It is now in "like-new condition" and is reassessed as new.

I can see how this could become ridiculously restrictive in tax-greedy counties, and might tend to discourage normal maintenance.

"Property tax: a fine for improving your property."
-- R.A. Heinlein

Old 03-05-2023, 08:51 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
If the law is as fuzzy as the explanation, there's a LOT of wiggle room:

New Construction
Under California property tax law, “new construction” is defined in four general categories:
"Any physical alteration of any improvement, or a portion thereof, to a “like-new” condition, or to extend its economic life"

So.,. under a hostile interpretation: The paint is peeling off my rental house. I repaint it so it won't fall apart and become unrentable, thereby extending its economic life. It is now in "like-new condition" and is reassessed as new.

I can see how this could become ridiculously restrictive in tax-greedy counties, and might tend to discourage normal maintenance.

"Property tax: a fine for improving your property."
-- R.A. Heinlein
I don't know where you got that but it's incorrect.

https://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/new...not-considered

Old 03-05-2023, 08:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
The definition of “repairs” varies by county. Mine is much more stringent than Los Angeles. I hid a kitchen remodel from neighbors (new floors, new countertops, new cabinets) recently and a lot of contractors straight up refused to do it without pulling permits which would make me pay thousands more every year in taxes. Total unnecessary PITA. Sounds like in LA that might be okay but certainly not in my area despite the fact it had 0 effect on structural integrity or plumbing.
They are defined by the state, not counties. https://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/new...not-considered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California