Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,754,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are 40 million people in this state and last year there was a net increase in population of 155k
Since most of the increase in population comes from foreign investors and illegal immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,193,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Since most of the increase in population comes from foreign investors and illegal immigrants
And births. We're Mexifornia now

Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 AM

603 posts, read 444,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How would the elimination of the SALT deduction over $10,000 cost you 10% of your income?
Very easily if you’re earning a decent income such as many people in West LA for example... I exhaust that $10k deduction on my local property taxes alone several times over in fact and I live in a state that doesn’t have income taxes.
It is not unusual for people to have $100k state income and property tax bills annually. And those are the people who are essentially leaving the state.
The California Governor has stated frankly that they see this as a massive problem going ahead.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...195405279.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/8000...-of-taxes.html

Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM

48,570 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
People hate CA because it's a dump, there's poop on the streets, and homeless camping in tents next to the curb or under a freeway.

Plus CA has the highest taxes, highest housing prices/rents, and highest homeless population.
LOL.

I go to CA all the time, and I'm from NorCal orginally, and it's a REALLY big state.

HI (and I gave links) has the highest taxes, we have the highest housing prices (well trade back forth with for number 1), and our homeless population is through the roof.

I'm jealous that no one is hating on Hawaii.

CA is nice, depending on which area you go to. I used to spend a few weeks a year in San Francisco, Santa Rosa, and go camping in various lake locals.

If you hate a location so much..... why not just move?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
LOL.

HI (and I gave links) has the highest taxes, we have the highest housing prices (well trade back forth with for number 1), and our homeless population is through the roof.

I'm jealous that no one is hating on Hawaii.
Not sure about that one.

Hawaii property tax is much lower than California's.

Hawaii income tax is probably close to California's. Hawaii has a general excise tax of ~4.5% vs California sales tax of ~9%.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:35 AM

48,570 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Not sure about that one.

Hawaii property tax is much lower than California's.

Hawaii income tax is probably close to California's. Hawaii has a general excise tax of ~4.5% vs California sales tax of ~9%.
I posted a link that showed it to be the case. I don't think our income tax brackets have been updated in like 30 years.

EXCISE TAX, not sales tax. Ours is based upon every transaction. From seller to distributor add 4.5%, then from distributor to store add 4.5% (actually you can, and some do, charge 4.625 [or so] because you tax the tax).

Excise tax is on SERVICES (doctor visits, yard work, every single thing) and FOOD, unlike sales tax in almost every other state.

It looks like it is low, but it is actually very high and a huge financial burden.

Our property tax rate is lower, but our housing prices are higher (median home price on Oahu is $800K).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 AM

21,762 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Interesting turn to the thread having an Hawaii resident, former Californian, weigh in ... to say nothing of being a moderator

Speaking as a Californian who formerly was stationed in Hawaii in service (Barber’s Point) and who has returned at times for months’ long stays over the years - and who has some friends still living in Hawaii - I have observed same as what Mikala43 is reporting.

The significant take aways include: places that are highly desired get crowded and expensive. Period.

Also fun / interesting here is that the incessant California bashing has been noted by a contributor / moderator as being rather odd in that, obviously, if a place drives a person nuts they are free to leave.

My superficial survey of other state forums from time to time never turns up anything vaguely close to the hate and kvetching and disgust and controversy leveled at California ... both at/from residents and non-residents.

Wonder if Mikala43, as someone with fingers on the pulse of other state forums as well, would offer an observation on whether this degree of vituperative bashing is common to other forums?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
It comes from neither. You have a history of making claims without any data to backthem up.

Foreign immigrants, legal, are very significant numbers. And state-internal births. Illegal immigration is not only down but went negative in the recession. Foreign “investors” aren’t all residents, nor are their numbers extraordinary relative to population.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Very easily if you’re earning a decent income such as many people in West LA for example... I exhaust that $10k deduction on my local property taxes alone several times over in fact and I live in a state that doesn’t have income taxes.
It is not unusual for people to have $100k state income and property tax bills annually. And those are the people who are essentially leaving the state.
The California Governor has stated frankly that they see this as a massive problem going ahead.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...195405279.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/8000...-of-taxes.html
It’s not? Whoa! In what universe? The 1% universe? Even the 10% universe? 1% and 10% are, by definition, pretty small universes compared to the rest of us who don’t have anything close to that kind of annual taxation. The majority of state residents don’t even earn that gross, pre-tax.

And, news flash, people who DO earn to pay those numbers aren’t the ones leaving the state at all. You can look that one up.

Over and out.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,011,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I posted a link that showed it to be the case. I don't think our income tax brackets have been updated in like 30 years.

EXCISE TAX, not sales tax. Ours is based upon every transaction. From seller to distributor add 4.5%, then from distributor to store add 4.5% (actually you can, and some do, charge 4.625 [or so] because you tax the tax).

Excise tax is on SERVICES (doctor visits, yard work, every single thing) and FOOD, unlike sales tax in almost every other state.

It looks like it is low, but it is actually very high and a huge financial burden.

Our property tax rate is lower, but our housing prices are higher (median home price on Oahu is $800K).
I think it evens out that California's taxes and Hawaii's taxes are similar. What's not similar is the higher cost of living in Hawaii. Food and utilities are much much more expensive when compared to coastal California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California