Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM

25 posts, read 89,900 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We're active duty military and heading to Travis AFB in June. One of the things we've been doing throughout the career is making do with items at that location with the thought of throwing them away before the movers come, and buying new at the new location. For instance we had a HUGE tube TV that had a color stripe along the bottom. It was good enough for the 3 years we were in Alaska, and we bought new in Florida.

However, we're in Maryland now. While it's pretty expensive to live here, amazingly, we'll get less of a housing allowance moving to Travis. We're wondering where it's going to be cheaper to buy those household items? I've only seen what's the media, and it sure seems like CA is portrayed as being super expensive. Like, is the $500 couch here in Maryland going to be $750 because its California? We've tried to look on nationwide sites (like Lazyboy) but those sites don't really list prices, because they want you to come into the stores.

Things I'm replacing are living room furniture (they don't hold up well after 4-5 moves), mattresses (they're 10 years old and its time to replace), and a refrigerator. And having to move the items doesn't really figure into the price equation, since the military moves us.

Has anyone done something similar? If anyone has any insights, it would sure be appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 08:25 PM

234 posts, read 303,802 times
When people talk about California being so expensive they are typically talking about real estate prices, rent, gas etc... I’m going to guess most items like TVs and couches are pretty similarly priced across the country, especially at these giant companies like Best Buy and Ashely Furniture.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

As for Travis, if you want to find cheaper housing, move closer to Sacramento and away from the Bay Area.

Fairfield and Vacaville are two suburbs next to Travis that I thought were still somewhat reasonably priced the last time I checked.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:25 AM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Think outside the box (so to speak) when it comes to buying furniture. I understand your reasons for not wanting to ship items and buy when you get here. It makes no sense to ship items you can buy here. One thing to consider ... You can find some really great furniture (often new or barely used) through Facebook Marketplace. I've bought a few things and, in the process, met some pretty great people. I'm not a big fan of new furniture. Especially wood because it's not what I consider real word. Parawood from other countries is what you typically find in stores like Ashley. Get yourself some beautiful used vintage dressers, tables, chairs, bookcase, Etc., made from oak, ash, walnut or other "real" woods. They'll last you longer, I promise. Look at local thrift stores for things like lamps (if you need any). Like the style but not the color? Paint it. Honestly, finding a bargain piece and then changing it up to fit your room is a lot of fun. Although, if you are one of those that like the matchy matchy type furniture group and want all the modern stuff, then you'll have to settle on what's offered in retail stores.

There's such a great selection of mattresses now. Gone are the days when the old innerspring being the only choice. I have a wonderful latex foam (10-inch) that I purchased on Amazon (yes, Amazon. Don't hate me). I love it. For the price of the frame it sits on and the mattress, I spent less than $300. I did make my own upholstered headboard but you can be creative and use anything to make a headboard. I saw one made from old shutters and another from a vintage door. The possibilities are endless.

As for refrigerators, you may want to buy new on that if you need to have the warranty. I've always bought new on refrigerators but not for things like washers and dryers. Washers and dryers, I've purchased used because they've been gone through and repaired (if needed). I don't care if it has a small scuff on it. I'll probably add a few of them to the unit myself. My current washer is a Kenmore. I bought it used for $85 and that was four years ago. But if you would feel better buying new, look into smaller stores in your area. They want your business, so look to them before buying from a big box store. They may even offer price matching because they want your business. Don't be afraid to negotiate.

Wishing you the best in your new move.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 89,900 times
Thanks for this! California just has that reputation that everything costs 20x's more than everywhere else! I think I saw the sales tax is almost 10%! Crazy!

I booked my flights to come house hunting for April, so I guess I'll be able to see prices then!

Thanks again!
Shawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California