Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,139 times

Advertisements

We are stationed in Germany and my husband just accepted a job at Fort Hunter Liggett. I read a lot about where to move around this area but now I am totally lost...
We are moving with our 2 dogs and 1 cat and looking for a nice community where we could get integrated quickly. I read about Paso Robles and some other cities. I am getting kind of nervous reading about these hot, hot summers...
Also I like to get more informations about a reliable vetenerian, dog trainer and dog parks in this area.
Any ideas how to make this a smooth transition? As said, I am totally lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
You really are lost.. the fort is 150 miles south of SF.

Just kidding around.. the nearest city I recognize that's fairly close to there is King City about 20 miles away, which is not one of my favorite places, being primarily very low income and with a real paucity of services. I don't know the little towns closer to the fort.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:42 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Moving to general CA...

Old 04-13-2008, 07:26 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
i dont know so much about the area, but i dont think the heat will be very bad. youre close to the coast between monterey and morrow bay which is a pretty decent area for summertime.

while ive never been to germany in summer, ive been to england and france during summer and humidity was definitely a factor. there is very little humidity in CA and the heat is a lot easier to take.

as far as a good vet.. i dunno. you may want to look up nearby carmel, monterey, or marina.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:38 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,338 times
Default Paso Robles

Fort Hunter Liggett is about 1+ hour north of Paso Robles. You could live in Bradley (the closest town, but it is SMALL) or King City (which, as sonarrat said is low income).

Another option is to live in San Miguel (10 minutes N. of Paso Robles) and smidgen closer to FHL. San Miguel has a California Mission, and it is surrounded by established farming families. It has some new developments, but it is smaller than Paso Robles.

However, my friend's husband (a firefighter) works 4 days on at FHL, and the family lives in Paso Robles.

Unless you want to live in a small, farming town, you'll have to live some distance from FHL.

Weather in Paso is dry (not DRYYYY). The summers have a dry heat of 90s-100s (heck, today it is in the low 80s) and usually a few summer days (usually end of July/beg. of August) has 100-110 temps. But it's nothing air conditioning, or the lake, or a pool won't fix.

I can recommend a good vet in Paso: Paso Robles Medical Clinic (run by a husband and wife team). 238-4622. There are no dog parks in Paso (closest off-leash area is Heilmann Regional Park in Atascadero (20 minutes south). Also, Cayucos beach is off-leash friendly (30 minutes), and San Luis Obispo has Laguna Lake Park which is off-leash friendly (30 minutes). That being said, we have the Salinas Riverbed, and many people take their dogs there to run around which has never been a problem. As well, there are many places of open land where you can take your dog to run around. Unfortunately, all the schools and city parks are not dog friendly.

Please message me if you have more specific questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California