Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Here, I’ll start the odd-couple appreciation event ... +1
And since I just saw a pig fly past my window....deal. +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:30 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
As of late, I've been revisiting this idea. Getting tired of crappy neighbors moving into the neighborhood, gophers in the lawn and the dog next door who keeps trying to dig under the fence. I just need to figure out how much trailer I can tow with my Jeep GC V6. Might have to upgrade to a F150 or Dodge Ram.
Smallest you can enjoy is always the best plan. At the moment I’m staying in a 14’ 1973 Terry trailer up in the islands while building boat and working on buddy’s cabins. I used to just live in my van when not on the boat. This is a neat step up! Just about 50% bigger makes a nice difference. Better kitchen. I have an actual (mini) fridge! ... and a small oven with the stove top burners. Cooking up a storm. Ground lamb tacos last night . I think this trailer runs maybe only 1500 pounds dry weight thereabouts. Could tow with a car. Wouldn’t take much AC to keep this cold. Could probably just open the mini-fridge (which runs on propane) and need mittens and ear muffs ... lol. I came up north early this year and nights were down in low 40’s. Kept warm as toast with just a little plug in 1500 watt portable heater running first stage: 750 watts ... and didn’t run all the time. Has a propane furnace too but I used the elec. Either way: cheap living. Easy to clean and care for.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And since I just saw a pig fly past my window....deal. +1
Lol

Old 06-22-2019, 01:39 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not a big deal for most people, if they just do a little preparation. I have Sterno, but I'm going to spring for a butane burner. I always have a lot of canned food I can heat up, or even just eat cold if necessary - and it's all stuff I can feed my dog, if I run out of dog food. If I have a little warning, I can be sure I have plenty of water, by having several empty water containers I can fill up - if I don't already have bottled water on hand. Always have flashlights, books, and if you have a data plan on your phone and you have phone connection, you can get radio and other entertainment via your data plan.

I guess having lived in the mountains for many years got me in the habit of kind of stockpiling stuff. Power outages were never a big deal for me. In fact, I've always thought they were kind of fun. Gives you a chance to slow down, not be stuck at a computer, etc.

I think it's a pretty big deal when people really need more than a few flashlights. Generators are expensive. Out of my price range. I'm not in California. I'm close though.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:48 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I agree with you and this is a great thread. The answer and solution is to collectively show them who's really in charge! In California, I'm not holding my breath while I wait for that to happen. On the other hand, we haven't yet seen them shut down power to millions at a time in the large metros. I'd like to think that might awake a sleeping giant. I'd like to think that....doesn't mean I'd bet on it.
Gray Davis lost his job as governor because of rolling blackouts. Have people forgotten so quickly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tricity_crisis

I'll never forget approaching an intersection and seeing all the lights go dark. Cars slamming into each other...

Quote:
I would have my own generator if I had my own home. But I don't, like many millions of others....and thus we have no such option. The only tool we have is public outrage....and there's going to be plenty if they don't get on a record-breaking fast track to a real solution and let this PSPS nightmare quietly fade from memory.
We have generators but it does us no good if we're not there to start them. My first thought was we should clean out the refrigerator/freezer and unplug it. Maybe we should go European and just buy enough food for one day so we don't need refrigeration. An added benefit would be PG&E's revenue dropping just like Gray Davis's approval ratings.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Maybe it's time for PG&E to start investing their time into solar energy. It's the future. If it can be done in other parts of the world, no reason the U.S. can't convert.
They already buy solar.

You didn't hear about the massive fire that took out nearly all of the California Valley Solar Ranch the other day? Birds. PG&E buys the entire output of this farm, which at the moment isn't much.

The Department of Energy grants loans to build these installations.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Gray Davis lost his job as governor because of rolling blackouts. Have people forgotten so quickly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tricity_crisis

I'll never forget approaching an intersection and seeing all the lights go dark. Cars slamming into each other...

We have generators but it does us no good if we're not there to start them. My first thought was we should clean out the refrigerator/freezer and unplug it. Maybe we should go European and just buy enough food for one day so we don't need refrigeration. An added benefit would be PG&E's revenue dropping just like Gray Davis's approval ratings.
There was lots more than rolling blackouts underlying the Gray Davis case.

This is 16 years later - something akin to a century in California politics. I haven't heard a whimper of public outcry or push-back against this policy. I'd love to hear that it's out there and I've just missed it.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:17 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
I'm willing to bet if San Jose - San Francisco would go dark for five days the entire plutocracy of PG&E would be forced out and sent into retirement quickly. As it is now, the population of Butte County is under 250 K, with Paradise only 2,000-2,300.
We are nothing more than a bunch of rednecks living on the side of the mountain; in other words, a fly on the wall, just ignore it and will go away.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Smallest you can enjoy is always the best plan. At the moment I’m staying in a 14’ 1973 Terry trailer up in the islands while building boat and working on buddy’s cabins. I used to just live in my van when not on the boat. This is a neat step up! Just about 50% bigger makes a nice difference. Better kitchen. I have an actual (mini) fridge! ... and a small oven with the stove top burners. Cooking up a storm. Ground lamb tacos last night . I think this trailer runs maybe only 1500 pounds dry weight thereabouts. Could tow with a car. Wouldn’t take much AC to keep this cold. Could probably just open the mini-fridge (which runs on propane) and need mittens and ear muffs ... lol. I came up north early this year and nights were down in low 40’s. Kept warm as toast with just a little plug in 1500 watt portable heater running first stage: 750 watts ... and didn’t run all the time. Has a propane furnace too but I used the elec. Either way: cheap living. Easy to clean and care for.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Specs say I have a 5K towing capacity on the old girl but a small trailer (not a Casita, though) would work fine. I don't need something too big because I'm outdoors most of the time. A little Buddy heater would be okay as long as the propane doesn't kill me.

The perfect set up would be to live in WA or NM, around Capitan or Ruidoso) during the summer and then southern AZ in the winter. Thoughts are to liquidate everything, sell the house, travel a bit but find a home base where I can eventually settle in.

Not many counties allow zoning for that type of living. One that I know of so far ... Cochise County in AZ. Found a lady that sold her home in San Diego, bought an old '84 Champion RV, went to AZ, bought a 4 acre parcel that had water, power and septic on it and a nice view of the Whetstone mountains. She ended up buying a bigger rig (5th wheel) did a bit more remodeling on it and now she's happy as a clam. No more smelling her neighbor's cooking, either. I could see me doing something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
They already buy solar.

You didn't hear about the massive fire that took out nearly all of the California Valley Solar Ranch the other day? Birds. PG&E buys the entire output of this farm, which at the moment isn't much.

The Department of Energy grants loans to build these installations.
I didn't hear about that. Guess my local news doesn't cover stories that far from me. Glad no one was injured, though. I was thinking that maybe PG&E could actually build these instead of just buying power from them. Might be more cost effective in the future ... if there is a future for them. They're in a world of hurt what with the lawsuits and loss in stock value and consumer confidence.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:21 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Where in the islands are you, 'Mutt? I assume you mean the San Juans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California