Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM

23 posts, read 22,038 times

Advertisements

Excellent, thank you Des-Lab I may have a lot of questions for you in the future
Good to know about the no swimming. Luckily i'm not much of a swimmer, so looking at the water is more peaceful to me than going in it.

I hear a lot about Tulare, is that a bigger town than Visalia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
No. It's not that you CAN'T swim in Lake Kaweah. It's just that there aren't many places TO do it, unless it's off the back of a boat. That's all. Feel free if you can find a spot. But there aren't any lifeguards around since there technically is no beach or designated swim area.

No. Tulare is maybe about a quarter to a third the size of Visalia and lives basically in its shadow. Tulare is a satellite city basically. The real irony is that the County Seat of Tulare is not Tulare, but in Visalia.

Tulare doesn't really have a whole lot going for it; it's been pretty stagnant for most of the last decade. Its claim to fame is the Ag Show that goes on every February for three days, where the town becomes utter chaos. It also has the Outlet Mall, which I think is very overrated and is a real b*itch to get in and out of because it has only one main entrance/exit. The Galaxy theater in it though is one of the nicest places to watch movies that I've ever been to: reclining chairs. A cathedral like ceiling in the lobby. They sell beer and wine. If you like movies, Galaxy will be your new home.

Feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:42 AM

No specific questions for now, but is there anything I should in general know before (possibly) moving? How do you like living where you are? Are you trying to leave the area or generally like it?

So far from what i've seen for myself and read i'm lukewarm. It's a little more country than expected, I never thought of it as the Wild West but it makes sense! I do really like that it isn't ALL farm lands, and desert. It has charm, and I liked visiting, but visiting is different than living. The one plus is I won't have -40 temps and snow. I'll be happy if I never have to see another snowflake in my life.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:28 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Glad you had a chance to explore the San Joaquin Valley and visit Fresno and Visalia. In answer to your question about a town or attraction within an hour's drive of Visalia with lots to do, you may need to lower your expectations or drive longer distances. Fresno is a 35 to 40 minute drive north of Visalia and Bakersfield is just over an hour's driver to the south. The Central Coast (Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Cambria) is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to the west/southwest and Sequoia National Park, located to the east, is within an hour's drive of Visalia.

You can also make it down to So Cal in 2 1/2 to 3 hours and to the Bay Area in about 3 hours as well. In close proximity to Visalia, there's the town of Exeter, which is known for its murals in the downtown area. En route to Sequoia is the town of Three Rivers, which is known for its quaint shops and art galleries. Adjacent to Three Rivers is the village of Kaweah, which is home to the nation's smallest functioning post office.
Don't forget Yosemite National Park is about a 2 hour drive to the southern entrance via Route 41.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
To the OP, I can understand you wanting to get a vibe for the area, makes perfect sense to me. What I can't understand is why you're concerned if others do not like the area and are trying to leave. The very reason they might want to leave could be the reasons you like it, so why would it matter?

Old 08-22-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
To the OP, I can understand you wanting to get a vibe for the area, makes perfect sense to me. What I can't understand is why you're concerned if others do not like the area and are trying to leave. The very reason they might want to leave could be the reasons you like it, so why would it matter?
Exactly! That's why i'm curious and just want to know everyones perspective. One persons vibe might be different from the other, so I want to see if mine line up. Where I live now, a lot of the choices to leave the state do line up with mine, and it makes me pay more attention to things in general. Know what I mean? So many things can get lost in the details and I would hate to move across the country just to run into an issue and say "hmm, I didn't think about that."

Thanks silverkris! I have not had a chance to visit Yosemite yet, which of course needs to happen!

Old 08-23-2019, 07:18 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaichai222 View Post
Exactly! That's why i'm curious and just want to know everyones perspective. One persons vibe might be different from the other, so I want to see if mine line up. Where I live now, a lot of the choices to leave the state do line up with mine, and it makes me pay more attention to things in general. Know what I mean? So many things can get lost in the details and I would hate to move across the country just to run into an issue and say "hmm, I didn't think about that."

Thanks silverkris! I have not had a chance to visit Yosemite yet, which of course needs to happen!
I can't answer for anyone but myself. We left due to the concrete jungle Fresno had become, too much smog, crime and intense heat! You can add political values as a reason we'll stay away.

What do I miss? Some friends and family, but we can visit. Also miss fresh hand picked fruit, however in exchange I get political values that line up with mine, blue skies, a sparse population in comparison, four distinct seasons, lower cost of living and small town vibe along with a host of other things.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I can't answer for anyone but myself. We left due to the concrete jungle Fresno had become, too much smog, crime and intense heat! You can add political values as a reason we'll stay away.

What do I miss? Some friends and family, but we can visit. Also miss fresh hand picked fruit, however in exchange I get political values that line up with mine, blue skies, a sparse population in comparison, four distinct seasons, lower cost of living and small town vibe along with a host of other things.
I have some of the same concerns as you've mentioned. Well, everything except the intense heat! I can't wait for that oddly enough. I never want to see another snowflake again. Isn't the fruit fresh in the area though, since there are so many farms around?

When I was there I was trying to find a farmers market or fruit stand but didn't see any oddly enough.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:41 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
I have some of the same concerns as you've mentioned. Well, everything except the intense heat! I can't wait for that oddly enough. I never want to see another snowflake again. Isn't the fruit fresh in the area though, since there are so many farms around?

When I was there I was trying to find a farmers market or fruit stand but didn't see any oddly enough.
Keep in mind that the day to day life is the most important. Yes being able to visit Yosemite, the Coast, SoCal, SF and other cities can be enjoyable. But the main things should be what you need and enjoy daily. If you like a bit of a slower pace, don't mind driving to another city for some of your normal needs and interests then it can be a good place. Also be sure of how the air quality will impact you. It isn't visibly as bad as years ago, but it is still bad. Ultimately it can have a negative impact on you physically, as it did me, and I grew up in SoCal near the beach. I left for a variety of reasons, and none had to do with hating the State, rather the COL and crowding in SoCal. I did look at moving back, but to find air quality that is not too bad regularly, was hard and while I can pay cash for a home I want, the other considerations kept us from moving back. Fun things are fun, but day to day life is what is critical. I do like Tulare as a small town as a friend lived there for long time. Fresno not so much and Visalia is kinda in the middle as it were. What is best for you will depend on what you want and need, with need coming first.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:37 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,380,209 times
Quote:

Clovis, which is a Fresno suburb has a farmer's market every Friday at 4:00 pm. It's a good one too. Lots of local produce. They usually have some form of music entertainment also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California