Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:06 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times

Advertisements

Off topic but about names. There seem to be two schools of thought regarding names. Depends on the parents I guess. Certain names do tend to stick to generations. Some parents like to go with whatever is popular at the moment. For instance, in 1989, names like Justin, Cody, and Cassidy were popular. All have pretty much fallen out of favor. We say we don't age discriminate, but odds are we can guess your approximate age just based on your name. If, for instance, your name is Maynard, I would bet, with better than 95% probability, you're in your 70's or older. If your name is Jennifer, you are in your late 30's to late 40's. And if your name is Tyler, you're in junior or senior high school.

Same thing goes with the silly, nonsense names we see like today. Parents think they're being cute and clever and original when all they're doing is saddling their kids with more baggage for when they reach adulthood. Think Hashtag, Royal, or Journey.

And then there's the timeless classics. Typically Biblical names. Like Matthew, Michael, or Rachel.

Great names a century ago. Great names today. Will still be great names a century from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Off topic but about names. There seem to be two schools of thought regarding names. Depends on the parents I guess. Certain names do tend to stick to generations. Some parents like to go with whatever is popular at the moment. For instance, in 1989, names like Justin, Cody, and Cassidy were popular. All have pretty much fallen out of favor. We say we don't age discriminate, but odds are we can guess your approximate age just based on your name. If, for instance, your name is Maynard, I would bet, with better than 95% probability, you're in your 70's or older. If your name is Jennifer, you are in your late 30's to late 40's. And if your name is Tyler, you're in junior or senior high school.

Same thing goes with the silly, nonsense names we see like today. Parents think they're being cute and clever and original when all they're doing is saddling their kids with more baggage for when they reach adulthood. Think Hashtag, Royal, or Journey.

And then there's the timeless classics. Typically Biblical names. Like Matthew, Michael, or Rachel.

Great names a century ago. Great names today. Will still be great names a century from now.
Unless your Dad and Grandfather were named Maynard. I have several males in my family with unusual and dated names because they keep naming their brats after their father, at least the youngest Axel is happy that the name is finally popular but on the other side of the family Rene Jr. still doesn't enjoy the jokes about having a name which in the US is usually reserved for females.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Visalia. Tulare. Much of Fresno. Clovis. Hanford. Lemoore. Are all of those things. Local government competence is kind of hit or miss, but it seems like most places have dysfunction like that to varying degrees.

And you can buy a nice new or recent build SFH in a decent area 4BRX2BA on a 1500 ± sq ft lot for under $350k all day long. Under $250k if you shop around a bit.

Been living in Tulare myself for the last decade. So I can give you more specific info on that general area if you'd like.
Perhaps you mean 1,500 sq ft SFHs or 15,000 sq ft lots ?

I own some rentals on lots that are about 4,500 sq ft, and even 4,500 sq ft is a pretty small lot.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:56 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Yes. Thanks for the correction.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Would someone please give some specific examples? I keep hearing these things, and we're wanting to get out of the LA area, but middle-of-nowhere is not an option for us. For example, we need reasonable access (say, less than a 1/2-hour drive) to decent healthcare facilities and a community college, and even closer conveniences like grocery & big box stores. Racial diversity is totally fine (even preferred)...so long as "diversity" doesn't mean 87+% of one "minority" as we currently have. Good public schools are a plus as they seem to support property values and reflect the quality of the surrounding communities. Moderate politics and responsibly-managed local government are definite bonuses!

I'm all ears!!!
Interesting, your criteria describes my area to a T. DM me.

We live 8 miles from town. Good regional hospital 20 minute drive. CC is half hour away. If you lived closer in, travel time drops. Schools are in the top 20% nationally. Our area is 80% white. Leans toward conservative, but most everyone gets along

Old 07-26-2019, 06:58 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I worked for years with Hispanic youth in East LA; the oldest are in their mid-40s now. Hip-hop was one of their favorite things. Never heard a one of them say "Cali."
Yup. I’ve heard “Califas” as in “El sur de Califas,” but “Cali” can be only one of two things: a city in South America or an out-of-stater talking.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:59 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Ah government worker. And I guess your anecdotal counts as the rule not he exception, because everyone can be a gov worker right? Making six figures in rural town, so pay not based on market value. You just justified why we should demand government efficiency and reduce taxation.
Makes sense why you would justify the constant rise of taxation, you have two vetted interests in keeping the Ponzi scheme going. Basically the tax payers way overpaid for your services and all you do is laugh at them. Nice.
Here is the secret about, rural, central valley specifically careers and salaries: If you happen to actually have an education and skill you can often make a lot more in these areas than on the coast. Why? Because everyone wants to live on the coast. Employers on the coast do not have a shortage of people willing to live and work there. The Central Valley is mostly a less desirable place to live than on the coast for obvious reasons. But this can actually work out to a benefit for those with skills and a quality education as employers often find they have to pay more than their coastal counterparts to keep quality employees. Combine this with a lower cost of living and a family can do quite well.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill the butcher View Post
here is the secret about, rural, central valley specifically careers and salaries: If you happen to actually have an education and skill you can often make a lot more in these areas than on the coast. Why? Because everyone wants to live on the coast. Employers on the coast do not have a shortage of people willing to live and work there. The central valley is mostly a less desirable place to live than on the coast for obvious reasons. But this can actually work out to a benefit for those with skills and a quality education as employers often find they have to pay more than their coastal counterparts to keep quality employees. Combine this with a lower cost of living and a family can do quite well.
Bingo!

Old 07-27-2019, 01:01 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
For the millioneth time, no native southern California has ever referred to our state as "Cali." This is 100% a term used by people who have never been here. Just sayin'.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:23 PM

999 posts, read 554,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
OP must be an outsider... Nobody from here calls it “Cali”.
Yep, we do. Born and raised and I call it Cali and so do other people I know. We've had huge threads about this before. I wish people would stop saying this crap. If it annoys you, that's your right. But stop saying "nobody" does it when they clearly do.

Also this map is pretty silly but I guess it's meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California