Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 10:13 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Don't engage. There are a ton of online CA haters who either have never lived here, or moved away years ago and are still desperately trying to convince themselves they made the right choice, since they don't have the means to return. Just ignore them.
Well, you started off with two assumptions while leaving out the third and more common. There are a good number of posters who are currently living in CA, and working on leaving. Many already have exit strategies in place if you would read their posts more carefully.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 02:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Well, you started off with two assumptions while leaving out the third and more common. There are a good number of posters who are currently living in CA, and working on leaving. Many already have exit strategies in place if you would read their posts more carefully.....

We exited in 1988 when we saw the handwritting. Have been back a dozen times - mostly moving family from there to other states. Just returned from Berkeley with great niece and her family to No GA mtns. Their home was finally sold for $1.2Mn (tax was $10,300) - the home they are having built costs $300k (new tax is $1500) and is on 10 ac and lake view. Plenty of trails for the kids to ride.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:13 PM

501 posts, read 360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You can put me down in the working on leaving and have an exit strategy.

Weather, taxes, and it's getting crowded here. Additionally, the politics have really gotten really one dimensional.

Worse case 4 years from leaving.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
If you have a transportable job - great idea. NC probably won't miss you.
You must like the higher taxes and govt intrusion.

Rethink this - more Kalis are leaving than arriving.
https://moneywise.com/a/states-americans-are-fleeing
Don't get your drawers in a wad because OP doesn't care for the South. I hate it too, and I grew up here. Learn to respect other's opinions & viewpoints even if they differ from yours. SMH.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Unless you are living in CLT, there are not many walkable neighborhoods. We live in south Charlotte and everything is a drive. Like I said that isn’t a deal breaker but it isn’t anywhere near convenient to what we had.

The property taxes of a 600-700k home in CLT is still around 10k. I know I live in one. The weather in the Carolinas is nice but the humidity is absolutely miserable all summer. Not a reason to move for us through.

Someone mentioned being in the baptist/ bible Belt. Actually that was one reason we moved here. However as I mentioned church here is full of tradition and surface deep relationships. Not all but most. It was more
Difficult to find a good bible teaching church in Charlotte than it was in portland. Too many people in Charlotte or the south in general are mesmerized by the prosperity gospel. (Insert: elevation). I’d rather be in an area where the faith is real and not some show for Instagram.

We will see what we decide to do. There are a lot of things I do not like about California and the WC in general, but we feel more “home” on the west coast.
In the end what matters is what works best for you and your family. No place is perfect and all places change over time. Weather is something many chose to move over, but unless it causes major health problems, there are far more important things. Church or non church can impact certain neighborhoods, but rarely whole cities of any size. I will agree the prosperity gospel draws people to share their money with their pastor (a one way exchange) thinking they will prosper. A friend of mine feels that way.

I know what you mean feeling more at home on the West coast. I do as well, but the West coast is not what it was and after the last move I saw it was just memory, not what was now reality, about the area. Be sure to decide based on what is real now.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:44 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Don't get your drawers in a wad because OP doesn't care for the South. I hate it too, and I grew up here. Learn to respect other's opinions & viewpoints even if they differ from yours. SMH.
You mean like how you respect or address others? Hypocrite much?
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...l#post55877428

Also tired of the anti liberalism and I am not a liberal (more a left leaning centrist).

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...l#post55611237

Why the hell would I move to another redneck state like FL, TX, or SC?

//www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...l#post55587286

Why would I? I live in the muggy South around rednecks. I wouldn't care to move around more of those **********s

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ians-well.html

Redneck state, despite all the non natives. We're relocating to NorCal this summer. I can't wait to leave.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:55 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
There are a ton of online CA haters who either have never lived here, or moved away years ago and are still desperately trying to convince themselves they made the right choice, since they don't have the means to return. Just ignore them.
This is absolutely true, as evidenced by the number of threads on this forum that routinely appear about this topic.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This is absolutely true, as evidenced by the number of threads on this forum that routinely appear about this topic.
True for some, but not all. Many like myself could easily afford to return, as I did twice. It is what CA has become that motivates most, not simply cost. Too many try to denigrate those who moved for good reasons, and CA lovers who can't face reality try to group them all together.

CA is great for many and is no longer great for many as well. The reasons are what are important.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Holy thread hijack.

Well, OP, if you wanted proof you're making a good choice, just look at all the bitter posters who are desperately trying to convince you to be as miserable in BFE as they are (or hope to be).

Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
B]We're relocating to NorCal this summer. I can't wait to leave.
Seriously?

Well truth be told there is more to life than low taxes and nonliberal politics. NorCal is a different world compared to LA. Eastern CA even more so.

And for the record, I’m not a CA booster. More of a person who is tired of bashers of where I live. Go away or stay away and just be ok with other people’s choices.

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-28-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California