Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:59 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Garbage.

I too have lived both places, and unless you're one of those leeches on society that pay zero tax while sucking from the taxpayer, you WILL pay more taxes in CA. In income tax alone, since Texas pays zero.

You make alot of assumptions there ... every one if us in this house works upper level jobs, I just don't hate on others who don't and I don't consider people who have less than I do to be my enemy ,, you know , like you , and your filthy leader , do .
Do you speak to women in public like this ?? I already know you would never speak to a man like that face to face lol .
I live in Europe some years and the US still taxes me when I am there also so .... You know absolutely nothing about me . Nothing .
My taxes are lower here in the end added all up and I get something for my money here , just because you don't like it doesn't make you right . I'm not putting my finances down on spreadsheet for you .
I am 8th gen Texan born and raised , I left there in my late 20's to go out and see this big world . Supporting myself since 1980 at 18 , without your help .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 11-03-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Equal size, age and location in TX VS CA the TX house will have a lower $$ cost in taxes than in CA. Prices for comparable home in CA are wayyy above TX. I know I moved from TX back to CA and my property taxes on a smaller house, smaller lot and no pool, etc were just as much in $$ as my TX was. Percentage is meaning less when the price variation is so huge.
Yes. You and others repeat this comp over and over. And without acknowledging the power of the value difference. The reason the California taxes are higher on the same square footage is because of huge difference in resale value and lifestyle value during residence. Nor do you acknowledge the cost of continuous rise in Texas real estate taxation as property value rises ... compared to California’s cap (Prop 13).

I am not promoting California or denigrating Texas. Just amused by these silly comparisons.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:02 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Really .

You don't have to assure me of anything . My atty is there as are most of my grown kids . The services there are non existent or horrible - healthcare and schools AND poverty are all extremely bad . They do make good money off car tags and tickets and taxes though soo there you go lmao ... Gross. No it is not impossible that my taxes are lower here . Not impossible at all .

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/texas

https://www.thecentersquare.com/texa...e8b72c589.html

https://patch.com/texas/across-tx/te...nking-u-s-news

its actually ranked 46 in quality of life
Well if your attorney lives there that explains it all

Texas may be 46 which is doubtful but Ca is 50 dead last in quality of life so what's your point again???

Our schools are in 48th place here and we have the highest poverty rate in the nation so I wouldn't be bragging about that either. You can't even brag about the weather because you live in Bakersfield. And I'm really curious what these high level jobs you all have in Bakersfield? Do tell.

The car registration is double here then Texas and we have to do biannual smog testing. Face it you have no valid argument in anything but hey if that helps you get through the day in Bakersfield keep at it.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Arizona is a bit of an anus. The major problem is that it was really never intended be a state as populous as it is, and migrating California's are a contributing factor to this, but far from alone in this. If you are a working age person in Phoenix in the majority of industries (medical excluded), it does not that long to realize that the quality of jobs in Phoenix is woefully inadequate for a city of its size. When I lived there, I would drive through the nicer areas and realize that many of the residents made their money in California, Metro Chicago, or somewhere else and then retired to Arizona. Not too many of the Arizonans of working age are doing that well. The only reason to live in Arizona as something other than a college student or retiree is if your occupation is in medical (often servicing the large retiree population), or something fairly basic like lawyer, auto mechanic, electrician/plumber/construction/other laborer. etc. Those looking for business careers will be woefully underwhelmed, as there are few corporate HQs in Phoenix simply because Arizona wasn't much before the 1950s and air conditioning, meaning that legacy companies like the Procter & Gambles of the world never headquartered there because there wasn't much there a long time ago. Additionally, the newer technology companies like Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. didn't emerge from there either. They happened to emerge from California in the case of Google and Apple, and Facebook was started in the Northeast, and eventually made its way to Silicon Valley.

Other areas of Arizona are even worse than Phoenix. Tucson, the next biggest city, has a lot of the same problems that Phoenix has, just a slightly different flavor of it. It is about one-quarter of the size (1 million vs ~4.5 million) and less congestion and freeways, but there's even less economically going on there because big brother Phoenix is only 2 hours north. There really isn't much to say about the rest of Arizona.

I didn't even mention how much I hated seeing the fragile desert ecosystems being torn up there for ill advised development, especially with the water issues there.

However, I can see the Arizona appeal for some residents of California. If you're living in the Inland Empire of Southern California, quality of life might be better in Metro Phoenix or Metro Tucson, with a lower taxation burden and lower costs of living. In the Inland Empire, you get the bad attributes of California (high costs) with the bad attributes of Arizona (bad weather). Phoenix and Tucson are less of a bargain than they were 15-25 years ago, but still probably better than the Inland Empire.

As for Texas, there are parts that smell like refineries (near Midland-Odessa) and cow manure. The parts that smell like cow manure are fairly unpopulated and Midland-Odessa pales in comparison to the rest of the state. With Texas, the Californians are going to Dallas-Fort Worth, Metro Houston, Metro Austin, and Metro San Antonio. Residents of all these areas in Texas are complaining about more Californians. Unlike Arizona, places like Dallas and Houston have a solid base of corporate headquarters and higher quality of jobs than Phoenix. When a comparison is made between the big Texas metros and the big California metros, quality of life for the individual is better in Texas.

However, Texas is changing, and the influx of Californians has a lot to do with it, though there are often factors. Dallas County typically votes for leftists in a 2 to 1 margin, which is sizable, but not yet up there with Los Angeles County and the Bay Area. However, some governance aspects in Dallas County are strong resemblences to the negative leftist/feminist/SJW influences seen in Los Angeles and the Bay Area, and that's causing some friction in Metro Dallas. While Dallas (representing most of Dallas County) itself is liberal, some of the nearby suburban counties like Collin (Plano, Frisco, and the Texas boomburbs) are still conservative. Collin County is like Orange County was 20 years ago. Austin and Houston have similar phenomenons as Dallas.
My point to that other poster was that they love to fixate on their perceived problems of California and their pathological fixation on its politics, yet most conservative states don't really have room to talk. Notice that they love to point out the "failures" of California, though they never point out the "successes" of Indiana, Mississippi, West Virginia, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, etc. I wouldn't consider any of those to be models in how to run a state.

One of my biggest gripes about living in Phoenix was that my career potential was the absolute top priority in where I lived, and the city (as well as entire state) have been so poorly managed for so long that some deep flaws in the system are starting to show, and it's only a matter of time until it boils over. But there's an odd snobbishness in that state about California, though my impression is that it's an inferiority complex, given that Phoenix tries so hard to hitch its wagon to Southern California (even calling itself West Coast) and is like a cheap, shoddy knockoff. The conservative politics in that state are actually working to its detriment. The state also likes to accuse Californians of this and that, when it still gets a very large number of transplants from other states as well. That isn't limited to Zonies, either. I think Californians are a convenient scapegoat in other places as well, even if Californians don't make up the majority of transplants (see below).

Despite its undeserved smugness, Texas isn't exactly doing things right either. I considered looking for work there only twice ever (and both times were desperation): during the recession when I was out of work and starting in November 2016 when I was ready to plan my move out of Arizona; the latter was because I thought maybe I might want to live closer to family in Oklahoma, but realized I didn't really care and then stopped my search, figuring I would likely be looking to move states again within a couple years. What I did discover is that the market rate for me in Dallas, Houston, and Austin would actually be worse than Phoenix, and I wasn't doing well financially there. In some cases I would have made more money, but the cost of living would have eliminated that gain (namely in Austin). So, they may have a concentration of corporate headquarters, but the pay for me definitely wasn't worth it. And for a place that loves to tout its economic success, Texas certainly has a high poverty rate. I know this is a few years old, but the data is probably fairly consistent today. It's a breakdown of where people born in states move to, and where people moving to states come from. In Texas' case, the bulk of transplants are Southerners. Per above, in Arizona's case it's Midwesterners who make up the bulk, not Californians, hence why I believe it's a scapegoat rather than owning up to poor planning and accountability:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...were-born.html

To the smells, I've driven more in Texas than I would have liked to, and those odors aren't confined to the areas you listed. And just because some Texas cities are "blue" doesn't mean they're necessarily liberal. In fact, I believe just last year in Austin a man killed a gay man and used the "gay panic" defense (perfectly legal in Texass) and charges were dropped. It seems to me a liberal jury would've convicted that man. There's still a pretty strong church culture in Texas cities too. In many cases, there may be a couple major issues that aligns voters more to Democrats than Republicans, which are enough to get them to go blue, even though these may be socially conservative people. Hell, even parts of Oklahoma City would be considered "blue" though I wouldn't at all consider those areas to be liberal.

Back to the poster to whom I was replying, Texas has some growing problems. Sure, it might be fun for them to focus on California rather than their own issues, but it doesn't change the fact that their state is facing its own challenges, including a worsening housing shortage, water rationing in some parts, flooding in metro Houston, increasing cost of living, mounting infrastructure expenses they'll have to find a way to pay for, etc. But hey, at least they can find time to worry about California.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:40 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Texas may be 46 which is doubtful but Ca is 50 dead last in quality of life so what's your point again???
You're way off.

TX ranks 38; California ranks 19. http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...life-by-state/

Here, TX ranks 36 and CA ranks 23. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-to-live-in/62617/

Old 11-03-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're way off.

TX ranks 38; California ranks 19. http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...life-by-state/

Here, TX ranks 36 and CA ranks 23. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-to-live-in/62617/
Not according to USA Today https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/384853002

Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're way off.

Finper HAS TO BE RIGHT or else .

As for Finper's last comment to me , none of us work in Bakersfield. We live here because its economical and we do enjoy the weather and we have horses so it's easier/cheaper for that and 1.25 into WeHo.
We have an A&P who's been at it 33 years that works overseas , an actress that actually works and one AV engineer that's been at it since 1981 who also works worldwide .
That is all I am saying to you . You can and probably will have the last word so have at it , and please hurry along to Arizona .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 11-03-2019 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Finper HAS TO BE RIGHT or else .

As for Finper's last comment to me , none of us work in Bakersfield. We live here because its economical and we do enjoy the weather and we have horses so it's easier/cheaper for that and 1.25 into WeHo.
We have an A&P who's been at it 33 years that works overseas , an actress that actually works and one AV engineer that's been at it since 1981 who also works worldwide .
That is all I am saying to you . You can and probably will have the last word so have at it , and please hurry along to Arizona .
I can't have the last word because I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm happy for you that you like Bakersfield and Ca that much. I just pointed out every stat for Ca and against Texas is wrong that's all.

I hope I like Az as much as you like Ca

Old 11-03-2019, 01:13 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Not according to USA Today https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/384853002
And Gallop ranks California at 14. Point being that all these different poll results would lead one to question an accurate definition of "quality of life."

Old 11-03-2019, 01:26 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Most people move to California because of sunshine hours and because they want to make it big in the movie industry. Some people move out for a variety of reasons. California isn't a bad state, it just has a bit too many people. Sometimes a diversity of people isn't always a good thing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California