Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh my! In 2018 over a half million moved to CA from other States. This is a serious problem!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...BBnb7Kz#page=2

Population is down by 200k! Out of 39 million. What next? The great exodus? CA will shrink to nothing in 8000 years

I found it amusing we got a bunch of people from Texas and Arizona.
A bunch of people? I find it hard to believe many people from Texas have moved to CA. but did the information mention how many people from CA moved to Texas? A bunch can be a dozen, a 1000 or a million?

Whether we love of hate CA there are things that will drive many away, like high taxes, high COL schools and to some degree maybe even the fire issues. Living in CA is not for everyone. Of course nothing is for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,470,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
All these Democrats and Liberals are moving to Texas and Arizona and Florida and Georgia and Nevada slowly turning all the Great Red States Blue. NOOOOOO!, Then the Liberals will take over America and we will lose our guns and freedom. I blame the conservatives always bashing California. If they stopped bashing California, then they wont leave their state. Stop bashing New York, too as they are leaving to the red states. Why are people so stupid. Keep them in their state not spread them around. Why you so dumb?
Residents of these states are often decrying the entering Californians. While corporate relocations to Texas, such as the Toyota North America one I'll mention below, benefit Texans for example with more jobs, some of the growth and changing of the region has consequences causing pain.

Having lived in Arizona and Texas, a lot of Arizonans and Texans are upset with the conditions in California, and would like to see an improvement in California to prevent the influx of Californians to their states.

I don't like what's going on with the homeless there. I don't like the extreme COLs and high taxes. I don't like the ethos of the Silicon Valley corporations. I don't like that a lot of corporations are leaving California, often for Texas, like the Toyota North America that occurred between 2015-17.

California hasn't had a decent governor since Pete Wilson. Gavin Newsom is the absolute pits. While a lot of conservatives have left California due to the hostility of the leftist/feminist/SJW influences, a lot of liberals have left California for nearby interior West states and it is changing the political environments there. Nevada has 2 Democratic Senators now. Arizona elected its first Democratic Party senator in 30 years in 2018. Con man and failed presidential candidate Robert O'Rourke had a great run as a Senate candidate in 2018, only failing to win the election by 2.7% but his presence got a lot of down ballot Democrats elected in Texas. His presence probably on the ballot probably was enough to flip a number of U.S. House districts in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I moved from America's anus, Arizona, in 2018. I'm still happy I made the move. In truth, I briefly considered moving to your godawful state...but realized its only virtue was that it isn't Arizona. Don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of the ambient aromas of cow manure and toxic oil refineries filling my car the times I drove through Texass, but I'm sure I'll cope when I see my sister, who has the blessed fortune of living among your people, over the holidays talk about being pushed farther from town as her costs become less manageable due to your ineptitude. I do love how your government stays out of your lives, like cameras on "free"ways that take pictures of your license plates to send you bills via mail. Or what about your "enviable" property tax rates? Or just the plain fact that you have to live in Texass.

Maybe you people need to focus on your own problems, because god knows you have plenty.
Arizona is a bit of an anus. The major problem is that it was really never intended be a state as populous as it is, and migrating California's are a contributing factor to this, but far from alone in this. If you are a working age person in Phoenix in the majority of industries (medical excluded), it does not that long to realize that the quality of jobs in Phoenix is woefully inadequate for a city of its size. When I lived there, I would drive through the nicer areas and realize that many of the residents made their money in California, Metro Chicago, or somewhere else and then retired to Arizona. Not too many of the Arizonans of working age are doing that well. The only reason to live in Arizona as something other than a college student or retiree is if your occupation is in medical (often servicing the large retiree population), or something fairly basic like lawyer, auto mechanic, electrician/plumber/construction/other laborer. etc. Those looking for business careers will be woefully underwhelmed, as there are few corporate HQs in Phoenix simply because Arizona wasn't much before the 1950s and air conditioning, meaning that legacy companies like the Procter & Gambles of the world never headquartered there because there wasn't much there a long time ago. Additionally, the newer technology companies like Google, Apple, Facebook, etc. didn't emerge from there either. They happened to emerge from California in the case of Google and Apple, and Facebook was started in the Northeast, and eventually made its way to Silicon Valley.

Other areas of Arizona are even worse than Phoenix. Tucson, the next biggest city, has a lot of the same problems that Phoenix has, just a slightly different flavor of it. It is about one-quarter of the size (1 million vs ~4.5 million) and less congestion and freeways, but there's even less economically going on there because big brother Phoenix is only 2 hours north. There really isn't much to say about the rest of Arizona.

I didn't even mention how much I hated seeing the fragile desert ecosystems being torn up there for ill advised development, especially with the water issues there.

However, I can see the Arizona appeal for some residents of California. If you're living in the Inland Empire of Southern California, quality of life might be better in Metro Phoenix or Metro Tucson, with a lower taxation burden and lower costs of living. In the Inland Empire, you get the bad attributes of California (high costs) with the bad attributes of Arizona (bad weather). Phoenix and Tucson are less of a bargain than they were 15-25 years ago, but still probably better than the Inland Empire.

As for Texas, there are parts that smell like refineries (near Midland-Odessa) and cow manure. The parts that smell like cow manure are fairly unpopulated and Midland-Odessa pales in comparison to the rest of the state. With Texas, the Californians are going to Dallas-Fort Worth, Metro Houston, Metro Austin, and Metro San Antonio. Residents of all these areas in Texas are complaining about more Californians. Unlike Arizona, places like Dallas and Houston have a solid base of corporate headquarters and higher quality of jobs than Phoenix. When a comparison is made between the big Texas metros and the big California metros, quality of life for the individual is better in Texas.

However, Texas is changing, and the influx of Californians has a lot to do with it, though there are often factors. Dallas County typically votes for leftists in a 2 to 1 margin, which is sizable, but not yet up there with Los Angeles County and the Bay Area. However, some governance aspects in Dallas County are strong resemblences to the negative leftist/feminist/SJW influences seen in Los Angeles and the Bay Area, and that's causing some friction in Metro Dallas. While Dallas (representing most of Dallas County) itself is liberal, some of the nearby suburban counties like Collin (Plano, Frisco, and the Texas boomburbs) are still conservative. Collin County is like Orange County was 20 years ago. Austin and Houston have similar phenomenons as Dallas.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Hopefully, they're all conservatives fleeing for the humid, crime-ridden South that I'm escaping from.
My it certainly seems like it is taking you a long time to exit and move to, what you think is going to be a dream home for you? And you talk about crime ridden, what the heck does that mean? One thing I do not consider the south is crime ridden...And how about all the homeless people, are you going to try and tell us they are more prevalent in the Carolinas then in San Francisco than and Los Angeles?

Old 11-03-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Not at all , you could not pay me to go back to Texas am very glad to be BACK in California after a long while and as I have mentioned I have seen MANY here move to my ex home state and find that they were not nearly as conservative as they thought they were ..

As for the out migration , as many times as I have had conserves DEMAND I move away from somewhere - Texas , the US , the PNW - wherever - I am glad they are leaving . Let them live with their own angry /unsatisfied/complaining types

I haven't lived in Texas for a very long time but my taxes here are far less than they were in Texas 15 years ago and I can assure you they have not gone down there at all .
Sorry, I don't know where you are getting your figures: like or hate CA the taxes are among the highest in the country. We left Texas about 18 years ago, just prior to you I guess: we lived in the Dallas area and I can assure you the taxes were lower there than when we lived in Ca back in the 80s. Remember TExas has to state income tax and what about the cost of renewing your car stickers every hear for starters. The only think that may be higher in Texas than CA is sales tax and that is a tax you can control by how much you purchase. Now if you had mentioned the weather I would certainly agree, CA wins out In fact that was the main reason we left Texas but certainly never thought much about moving back to CA.

Last edited by nmnita; 11-03-2019 at 05:37 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 06:37 AM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
A million people in five years isn't insignificant. Its been going on since the 1990s. The only thing that keeps the state growing (at its slowest pace ever) are foreign immigrants and their progeny... and many/most are low skill or unskilled. The main issue is cost of living and its gotten to be a big enough burden the past few decades its finally overriding weather and natural beauty. The state does have serious issues and there seems to be little political will in Sacramento to do anything about it. Its frustrating to someone who was born and raised here. I know the state did a number of things much better in the not-too-distant past and life was easier for the average middle class Californian trying to provide for and house their families and educate their children.
The bolded above is no longer true and hasn’t been for more than the past decade. The low skilled / unskilled immigrants have diminished in number. The majority of immigrants now are from China and India. They are well educated and employed in tech fields.

The use of the word “only” by so many people citing that the state population growth is from births and immigration is entertaining. As if the source makes a difference ... we are a state of 40 freakin million. Births are a huge factor and every one is an automatic, equal citizen. Foreign born newcomers? Sounds like the American tradition to me.

Slowest growth rate? Thank gawd! Can’t slow enough! Needs to reverse by 50%! There is nothing about 40 million people better than 20 million could provide.

Any readers here familiar with the word “blivet”? Definition of a “blivet” is: 40lbs of bull**** in a 20lbs bag.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 AM

26,767 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Yet another weird thread about something that really isn't that important, that veers immediately into politics (first big hint : the SECOND post in the thread uses the term "Governor Gruesome" - yeah, this is going to be a thread all about facts, and not at all about ingrained prejudices ... )
It doesn't help that the video in the OP is produced by Fox News. The commentator interviews former CA state assemblyman Chuck DeVore, who has moved to TX, who says, "in Texas, unlike California, politicians aren't seeking to regulate speech, faith, politics and property and even faith...."

What?

The other thread on this same topic (although it doesn't state this in the thread title): //www.city-data.com/forum/calif...g-article.html

Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 AM

928 posts, read 1,069,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Humm, lived there for 5 years and never had a problem walking outside, except maybe on a day with heavy rain.
I’ve been in Austin a few times and liked it even though the humidity was terrible. Thought about moving there but read about people losing their houses cause the property taxes keep increasing. No thank you! I’ll stay in CA with my low property tax.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I’ve been in Austin a few times and liked it even though the humidity was terrible. Thought about moving there but read about people losing their houses cause the property taxes keep increasing. No thank you! I’ll stay in CA with my low property tax.
Equal size, age and location in TX VS CA the TX house will have a lower $$ cost in taxes than in CA. Prices for comparable home in CA are wayyy above TX. I know I moved from TX back to CA and my property taxes on a smaller house, smaller lot and no pool, etc were just as much in $$ as my TX was. Percentage is meaning less when the price variation is so huge.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:33 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,997,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
All taxes .
There is also far more to life than just CONSTANTLY worrying about taxes most people don't even qualify for , car tags , sales tax, income tax , estate tax etc etc etc . It doesn't matter , we are all , and I mean ALL going to pay for it somehow someway .
You have to live life , it goes by way too fast .

That is really the truth , I lived in all parts and that is the truth .
Garbage.

I too have lived both places, and unless you're one of those leeches on society that pay zero tax while sucking from the taxpayer, you WILL pay more taxes in CA. In income tax alone, since Texas pays zero.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:52 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Really????
Really .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I assure you that there are no state income taxes in Texas, so everything being equal it's impossible that your taxes are less in CA given the same financial situation, etc.
You don't have to assure me of anything . My atty is there as are most of my grown kids . The services there are non existent or horrible - healthcare and schools AND poverty are all extremely bad . They do make good money off car tags and tickets and taxes though soo there you go lmao ... Gross. No it is not impossible that my taxes are lower here . Not impossible at all .

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/texas

https://www.thecentersquare.com/texa...e8b72c589.html

https://patch.com/texas/across-tx/te...nking-u-s-news

its actually ranked 46 in quality of life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California