Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Sick of Alabama: moving to California, apartments for rent, rental prices, living expense, allergy relief.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Huntsville is a pretty nice place to live. The area is doing very well economically, among the best in the US. It has a good balance of residents of all backgrounds, good schools and universities, and is close to many outdoor activities. Good variety of things to do around town. Crime and safety is not a big problem, and weather is OK most of the year except for a few months of mid summer heat. A modest sized metro area that you can get out of in a relatively short time into the surrounding countryside.

Alabama has taxes that are among the lowest in the US across the board, CA is among the highest. AL has lowest property taxes in the US, state income tax is about half the rate in CA, and sales tax is about 5 percent in most places (some cities are higher) compared to 8+ percent in CA. Gas is 30 cents per gallon less, utility costs are 30 percent less in Alabama.
This post is right on. Jobs, educated people (most engineers per capita in the US, most PhDs per capita in the US), really nice homes in the $100/sqft range (compared with SoCal $350/sqft). Yes humidity, yes bugs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,727 times
I spent some time near Auburn, and I know what you're saying -- it's a lot cheaper, and for some people, it's paradise. For others, it's anything but.

I moved to California from a much cheaper place, and it was the right thing for me, no question. In my previous location, I was sick much of the year from allergies -- I did all you suggested, and more -- showered when I'd come from outside, did everything possible to reduce pollen, but it only did so much -- especially since outdoor mold was the biggest issue. At a certain point, when you are always sick, no amount of money, etc., can make you remotely happy.

If you want to live in California, go for it -- for many people, the smaller house, higher cost of living, and lower disposible income is a fine tradeoff for living in a place they love. For others, it does not make sense. To each his/her own!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
At a certain point, when you are always sick, no amount of money, etc., can make you remotely happy.
I don't think anyone in the world would disagree with this. Your post is 100% correct.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 13,353 times
Snowflower, it sounds as though you need to stay where you are until your spouse finds another job. They aren't in plentiful supply these days. When that twelve-month period is almost up, maybe he can send out some resumes. Until then though, I'd make the best of it for a little while. Easier said than done, I know, but practical nevertheless.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 AM

75 posts, read 304,641 times
Thank you to all those that have responded to this post. I would never want my husband to leave without a job ( all though I cant lie and say that I havent thought it at times ).

We have had several reponses to his resume postings and applications that have been submited...recently, so hopfully something good will come from that.

I admit there are probably cheaper areas in the Alabama area then California, but I appreciate the way that HockeyFan put it in thier posting... I am not as well with words.

I am not as concerned about the cost of living in the California area as I am with the way I have to live... I dont want to be sick for the rest of my life with asthma and allergies, cancers and ITP ect.... I have a weak immune system and I dont want to put it through more because of the place I live in is a cause of it....

I would rather live in a place that I can be happy and look around and see the mountians and the valleys and the ocean and the people and all that there is that way....

I would never mean to say that others would not find happiness here in Alabama.. I am certain that many do... I however can not. I have been sick most of my life and I refuse to continue to be so if I can help it. I dont want my kids to have to grow up being sick all of the time either.

Thanks again for all of your postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California