Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:14 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,806,487 times

Advertisements

Nice explanation BD, actually....

You obviously have a good understanding of the basics of this. And you are certainly correct in many of your presumptions.

But if you take a real conservative look at the pension debacle, some have it at $700 billion upside down. And then there's the rest of the (estimated as high as) $3 trillion dollar debt. See article below. And no one ever mentions the even bigger elephant in the room - the miserable condition of the states infrastructure. You really should have a Guy # 4 with an even bleaker scenario. I think this would reflect California's situation more accurately. In closing, read this and see if you agree...? (I'm guessing you're stuck in your particular mindset, but this may clue you in to how some of us are thinking.......only the future will tell us who is right)

"Sitting on the blistering thin skin of a debt bubble, a housing bubble, and a stock market bubble, amid rising global economic uncertainty, just one bursting jiggle will cause pension fund assets to plummet as unfunded liabilities soar.

And when that happens, cities and counties have to pay these new unfunded balances down on honest, 20 year straight-line terms. They’ll be selling the parks and libraries, starving the seniors, releasing the criminals, firing cops and firefighters, and enacting emergency, confiscatory new taxes.

Whatever it takes to feed additional billions into the maw of the pension systems.

Budget surplus? Dream on."

https://californiapolicycenter.org/u...n-liabilities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 07:29 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,820,974 times
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph..._Policy_Center

Old 11-29-2019, 11:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,754,896 times
Once the dems start spending billions for the useless bullet train and on public assistance for illegal immigrants, there won't be a surplus

Old 11-30-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Yes, I know that they are right-leaning.....just as SourceWatch is left-leaning. It doesn't make their facts, figures, or opinions wrong......Just provides more information to peruse and use to make a decision. Or not if you don't want to .....

Old 11-30-2019, 09:56 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yes, I know that they are right-leaning.....just as SourceWatch is left-leaning. It doesn't make their facts, figures, or opinions wrong......Just provides more information to peruse and use to make a decision. Or not if you don't want to .....

Since it appears you might be "heading to AZ", it looks like AZ could use some work/decision making.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Thank you, I will add that info into my decision making process......

Old 11-30-2019, 12:56 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Since it appears you might be "heading to AZ", it looks like AZ could use some work/decision making.

Yes. I have often noted: California is middle of the pack for funding ...

... and waaay out in front on long term ability to cover our ass and pay up.

Doesn’t mean I endorse the system. Just pointing out, all things being relative, the state isn’t close to the fabled demise predicted by so many haters.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:23 PM

8,362 posts, read 6,457,193 times
California is already cutting service, and increasing taxes so these good for nothings can live like kings at you expense.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

... and waaay out in front on long term ability to cover our ass and pay up.
Yeah, I know...that is their strong suit for sure.....the only problem is the current (and past) administration's ability to spend money like it was water, and on stuff that is...well shall we say -unnecessary...?

I actually wish CA the best..I'll leave behind a some family, and a few awesome friends

I'll stop responding to these CA/financial threads, I know it bugs TM.....I just see red flags that concern me. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:57 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yeah, I know...that is their strong suit for sure.....the only problem is the current (and past) administration's ability to spend money like it was water, and on stuff that is...well shall we say -unnecessary...?

I actually wish CA the best..I'll leave behind a some family, and a few awesome friends

I'll stop responding to these CA/financial threads, I know it bugs TM.....I just see red flags that concern me. Hope I'm wrong.
Doesn’t “bug” me a bit, Woody. Amuses me in an eye-rolling way. But “bug”? Not. Never ending series of lazy opinionations. And rarely any going to the root - which is: human nature and our culture of growth and consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California