Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 05:54 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have to actively work on my health, because I've found out that thyroid disease sets me up for a lot of problems down the road, that most doctors aren't aware of. I have to do my own research, and try to stay one step ahead of the disease, in a way.
You and I share the same problem, it seems. A lifelong battle with a sluggish thyroid and, like you, I've researched for years but the only link that seems to come up is my early years of drinking soy milk. I'm afraid it affected my thyroid adversely. Long story that I'll share with you at a later time. Keep up the good fight, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
According to scientists, getting to 100 definitely requires excellent genetics, but getting to 85? That's about 70% lifestyle. And the healthy lifestyle that gets you to 85 typically gets you there without chronic disease (diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, etc.)
Agreed. Longevity is most definitely linked to genetics. I think my mother might have made it to her 100's as many members of her immediate and extended family did but something happened to her that altered that from happening. Weird thing about my dad, though. In his early years, he said he'd live to be 93, very matter of factly. No hoping, wishing, just outright said 93 years. Oddly, he died 20 days after his 93rd birthday. He might have gone on longer but Mom went Home in May and he decided he'd had enough and followed her 90 days later. When you spend 70 years with someone, it hardly feels normal to go on when the light of your life is gone.

Having always considered myself to be average, I'm pretty sure I'll make it to 85. 'Course, tomorrow is promised to no one. Just think, though. If I do, look how many more years you'll have me around here to torment and harass people around here. Come January, I'll be celebrating my 29th birthday for the 39th time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,294 times
I, too, suffer from thyroid issues. Medication did not help so I'm looking into other avenues, such as supplements, essential oils, and herbal remedies.

I almost got into 7th Day Adventism years ago. Then I became agnostic and stopped searching for a church 'home'.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:03 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Loma Linda U. is my alma mater where I did my undergraduate studies. Although not Seventh Day Adventist, I met quite a few while attending who were both healthy and genuinely nice, friendly folks overall. Most were athletic and vegetarian. While its unfortunate that some have met those who aren't friendly, I would say that is not the norm in my experience within that community. Bad apples exist in every socioeconomic group, religious or not.

The university has an awesome gym and pool which I enjoyed while attending. And yes, everything shuts down on Saturday! But that doesn't stop it from being a top medical school with an excellent children's hospital. Everyone there was very dedicated and hard working - play hard, work and rest - de-stress. As someone who grew up athiest and later became a person of faith (not religion), I find the later a more peaceful way of living.

As to the area itself, I drove from the coast and always looked forward to getting out of the smog of the inland empire. There's nothing special in the water or air out there, that's for sure! Its simply more about holistic, healthy living (mind, body, spirit).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-26-2019 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
This doesn't seem too dissimilar from the Roseto Effect.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:31 AM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Agreed. Longevity is most definitely linked to genetics. I think my mother might have made it to her 100's as many members of her immediate and extended family did but something happened to her that altered that from happening. Weird thing about my dad, though. In his early years, he said he'd live to be 93, very matter of factly. No hoping, wishing, just outright said 93 years. Oddly, he died 20 days after his 93rd birthday. He might have gone on longer but Mom went Home in May and he decided he'd had enough and followed her 90 days later. When you spend 70 years with someone, it hardly feels normal to go on when the light of your life is gone.
What a great story. His intuition was uncanny!

Quote:
Having always considered myself to be average, I'm pretty sure I'll make it to 85. 'Course, tomorrow is promised to no one. Just think, though. If I do, look how many more years you'll have me around here to torment and harass people around here. Come January, I'll be celebrating my 29th birthday for the 39th time.
Actually, if you make it to 85, you're above average. Life expectancy for the U.S. is about 78 and has actually been ticking down the last few years due to opiod overdoses.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:28 AM

527 posts, read 423,624 times
Not just opioid overdoses (as a cause of lowering US life expectancy) but also obesity and lack of access to quality medical care. Increasing suicide rate contributes a bit too. Generally I think there's more despair about the future economy, with all the increases in the cost of living, which contributes to anything from more drugs to more diseases and suicides.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 AM

527 posts, read 423,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Loma Linda U. is my alma mater where I did my undergraduate studies. Although not Seventh Day Adventist, I met quite a few while attending who were both healthy and genuinely nice, friendly folks overall. Most were athletic and vegetarian. While its unfortunate that some have met those who aren't friendly, I would say that is not the norm in my experience within that community. Bad apples exist in every socioeconomic group, religious or not.

The university has an awesome gym and pool which I enjoyed while attending. And yes, everything shuts down on Saturday! But that doesn't stop it from being a top medical school with an excellent children's hospital. Everyone there was very dedicated and hard working - play hard, work and rest - de-stress. As someone who grew up athiest and later became a person of faith (not religion), I find the later a more peaceful way of living.

As to the area itself, I drove from the coast and always looked forward to getting out of the smog of the inland empire. There's nothing special in the water or air out there, that's for sure! Its simply more about holistic, healthy living (mind, body, spirit).

Derek
Ultimately, you describe people with "healthier" (I don't want to use the word "better") genetics... to be dedicated and hardworking while being able to keep the stress and bay and resist addictions - it takes, well, certain kind of genetics. Healthy lifestyle often accompanies the general mindset of such person, as a bonus, as it also requires dedication these days (with all the unhealthy foods out there and using cars to get around).

Old 11-27-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Ultimately, you describe people with "healthier" (I don't want to use the word "better") genetics... to be dedicated and hardworking while being able to keep the stress and bay and resist addictions - it takes, well, certain kind of genetics. Healthy lifestyle often accompanies the general mindset of such person, as a bonus, as it also requires dedication these days (with all the unhealthy foods out there and using cars to get around).
Genetics plays no part in the mindset of an individual. As Derek pointed out, a certain sense of spirituality plays a large part in how a person deals with the upsets and demands of life. Certainly, it helps if you aren't predisposed to illness from a weakened immune system but the mind plays a big role in how people handle these things.

No one ever wants to say the word God because it might be oh so offensive to someone else but the truth is, the large number of residents in this particular city are Believers and their faith is what drives them to live the best life they can live. They treat their body the way it was intended to be treated. As a temple.

Even a temple can crumble. I'm reminded of Bob Harper, the fitness guru (from The Biggest Loser) who ate right, exercised and is considered to be a leader in the fitness industry. In 2017, at age 51, he had a massive heart attack and nearly died. And there's Jim Fixx, who wrote The Complete Book of Running. He died in 1984 at age 52 from a heart attack, as well. He was also thought to be as big a fitness junkie as Harper.

There's no guarantee a healthy lifestyle is a promise that nothing bad will happen to you and there's far more data to prove otherwise. And honestly, when you eat better and use your muscles, practice deep breathing and either meditate or pray (whichever you choose to do), your overall feeling of strength and energy is better. There is no downside to it, whatsoever.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:49 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Agreed. Longevity is most definitely linked to genetics.
Yep.

My FIl died last year at 106. He ate steak regularly, enjoyed martinis, and made one heck of a Bloody Mary. He was from a working class family of average income. Contributing factors: he did not worry, and he made a point of exercising regularly, walking daily well into his 90s.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yep.

My FIl died last year at 106. He ate steak regularly, enjoyed martinis, and made one heck of a Bloody Mary. He was from a working class family of average income. Contributing factors: he did not worry, and he made a point of exercising regularly, walking daily well into his 90s.
Wow, amazing! There's a lot to be said for not worrying. Like you FIL, my own father was the same way. Dad enjoyed bench pressing and loved red meat, especially filet mignon. High balls were enjoyed a few times a week but never did I ever see either of my parents drunk. He liked swimming and in his early years running until he blew his knees out. He kept up with lifting weights but gave it up when he turned 91. Mom's condition was worsening and he just didn't have it in him any longer. I think he knew the end was near for her and it affected his psyche, too.

But how wonderful your FIL lived so long. Octogenarians aren't as uncommon today as they were a few hundred years ago. I attribute that to healthier foods being available.

Of course, you'd never know it by the second outbreak of e-coli of romaine lettuce out of Salinas. What the heck is going on over there? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California