Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 11:21 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

My son and I carried on a tradition of hiking in the Redwoods to ring in the New Year. Here are a few photos of our trip. I was hoping to catch a few glimpses of the God Beams bursting through the trees and was not disappointed. Man do I live this section of coast!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 11:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OMG!!! How do you DO that? Wreak such magic with your camera? I want to study photography with you!!!

Are these going to be up on your website, for sale? You couldn't have ordered more perfect weather!

BTW, since you mention a tradition of hiking through redwoods for NY Day (what a great tradition!! Your kids are SO LUCKY!!!!!!), do you have any pics of the redwood forest in the Oakland hills? I'm so curious about it.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OMG!!! How do you DO that? Wreak such magic with your camera? I want to study photography with you!!!

Are these going to be up on your website, for sale? You couldn't have ordered more perfect weather!

BTW, since you mention a tradition of hiking through redwoods for NY Day (what a great tradition!! Your kids are SO LUCKY!!!!!!), do you have any pics of the redwood forest in the Oakland hills? I'm so curious about it.
Thanks, Ruth. It's like a natural cathedral when you're walking among these giants, like a sacred place of beauty and majesty.

There's not too much to photographing redwoods beyond what I consider being blessed with some epic conditions like this. Though I'll admit, having experience shooting them does help as well. You kind of have a vision of what you're looking for while always being willing to be surprised by light. Then planning can really help increase one's chances. It's best to plan a trip when there is at least partial sun in the forecast. Though complete fog can work as well and create another experience which is also enjoyable. So many ways to truly enjoy the time out there immersed in this forest. You can check out more redwood pics from our recent trip including the southern Oregon Coast here: Pacific Northwest 2019

Regarding Oakland Hills, I have not been there before. We mainly spent time in the Santa Cruz Mountains and Big Sur redwoods when we lived in Monterey. Lots of places to see redwoods in the Bay Area, that's for sure.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-02-2020 at 12:13 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 12:16 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Amazing photos, Derek...

I love Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Amazing photos, Derek...

I love Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
Thanks, Hawk J. That's exactly where this is. We took the Boy Scout Tree Trail and it was really amazing! Even a little waterfall at the end of it.

Derek

Old 01-02-2020, 11:02 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Nice Shots Repped
I have to get up there one day

Old 01-02-2020, 11:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Yes, LOTS of redwood forests around Monterey Bay!

Back to my earlier question: will some of these photos be available for sale??

I really need to take some basic photog workshops, then go out on a couple of hikes with you, for the finer points of the craft.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:17 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks, Hawk J. That's exactly where this is. We took the Boy Scout Tree Trail and it was really amazing! Even a little waterfall at the end of it.

Derek
That trail is one of my favorites. We were there last year camping in the state park. Like Yosemite its one for the record books in California hiking.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, LOTS of redwood forests around Monterey Bay!

Back to my earlier question: will some of these photos be available for sale??

I really need to take some basic photog workshops, then go out on a couple of hikes with you, for the finer points of the craft.
Yes, forgot to answer that one. First look through the galleries with redwoods to pick out a favorite. You my need to scroll down a bit:

https://dereksphoto.smugmug.com/Paci...west/PNW-2019/

https://dereksphoto.smugmug.com/Tree...rests/Forests/

https://dereksphoto.smugmug.com/Loca...n-Gate-Bridge/

https://dereksphoto.smugmug.com/Locations/PNW-2016/

You can contact me through my photography website here if you would like to order a print:

https://dereksphoto.smugmug.com/Navi...Prints/n-3BFHQ

I also give 25% discounts for first time purchases.

Derek

Old 01-02-2020, 03:55 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
My son and I carried on a tradition of hiking in the Redwoods to ring in the New Year. Here are a few photos of our trip. I was hoping to catch a few glimpses of the God Beams bursting through the trees and was not disappointed. Man do I live this section of coast!

Derek
Spectacular photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California