Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 08:16 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times

Advertisements

There are so many sheep and snowflakes you'd think we were on a New Zealand mountain pasture in July.

Sheep
If you put on a mask after the government made it mandatory, and now you take it off because the government said it's okay, then how can you claim you are exercised your personal "freedom"?

Grumbling about following orders and taking your mask off as soon as nobody is looking, or the CDC says you are "allowed" is still following orders. There are two types of people who aren't sheep: Smart ones who wore and keep wearing masks for the duration of a respiratory pandemic--regardless of government manipulation--and stupid ones who didn't wear a mask come hell or high water. I respect both types for different reasons.

March 2020: Government says: "Don't wear a mask." Did you follow orders and not wear a mask?
July 2020: Government says: "Wear a mask." Did you follow orders and EVER wear a mask?
April 2021: Government says: "Don't wear a mask." Are you following orders and taking your mask off?

Hm....

Snowflakes
I've had two people, of different political stripes, in as many days whine to me about the "looks" they're getting. Are people so extra and fragile, these days, that they melt when someone dare turn eyes upon them? Talk about overly sensitive! Do the rest of us now need sensitivity training in Critical Political Theory so we don't bruise the latest flurry of fragile snowflakes with our eyeballs?

Old 04-28-2021, 08:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 6,736,185 times
The stupid ones were the ones smugly telling others to wear masks outdoors when no science or data suggested it was necessary. They were also the ones who incorrectly believed that if you got COVID, you had a 50% chance of being in the hospital, not 1-2% as was the truth, a figure that was much lower for people under 65 and not overweight.

The COVID sheep basically tossed data and science aside for virtue signaling and smugness. Thankfully, the leader of the anti-science movement is getting recalled.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:51 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Same.

I think the issue is the people who wear masks for the purpose of virtue signaling and other unscientific reasons.
I wear a mask, and yes, I have received both vaccinations, because I choose to. Should I wear a little placard explaining my choice so you know I'm not virtue signaling or other unscientific reasons? This isn't just going to disappear like dump claimed any time soon. Though the rate of infection has fallen dramatically, people are still falling victim to covid. And then there are the variants......

Old 04-28-2021, 09:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Same.

I think the issue is the people who wear masks for the purpose of virtue signaling and other unscientific reasons.
My favorite is whenever there is a story about masks from the NY Times Facebook page, like yesterday for example there were multiple, the comments are always filled with people letting others now how they will still wear masks even though they are fully vaccinated and because they "believe in science", as a courtesy to others, how they care about the greater good, etc... The amount of bragging about wearing a masks now, especially when it's not necessary at all is ridiculous. They think it's some sort of badge of honor. And more times than not their profile pic always has those frames that say "Stay Home Saves Live, Make a Plan, We Can Do this I got my Covid vaccine", etc...

Last edited by sav858; 04-28-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 09:17 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
I wear a mask, and yes, I have received both vaccinations, because I choose to. Should I wear a little placard explaining my choice so you know I'm not virtue signaling or other unscientific reasons? This isn't just going to disappear like dump claimed any time soon. Though the rate of infection has fallen dramatically, people are still falling victim to covid. And then there are the variants......
It's probably never going to fully go away so are you going to wear a mask forever now?

Old 04-28-2021, 09:32 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's probably never going to fully go away so are you going to wear a mask forever now?
Nice legit way to keep big data from tracking your movements through facial recognition.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:20 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
Quote:
My favorite is whenever there is a story about masks from the NY Times Facebook page, like yesterday for example there were multiple, the comments are always filled with people letting others now how they will still wear masks even though they are fully vaccinated and because they "believe in science", as a courtesy to others, how they care about the greater good, etc... The amount of bragging about wearing a masks now, especially when it's not necessary at all is ridiculous. They think it's some sort of badge of honor. And more times than not their profile pic always has those frames that say "Stay Home Saves Live, Make a Plan, We Can Do this I got my Covid vaccine", etc...
Masks are also now a fashion accessory. Color coordinate your mask or have a written statement on it. Pelosi is a master at this new fashion statement.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:24 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
It's no big deal to wear a mask. I have had both vax, but wear a mask if I go into a store, as thye have a poster on the door, requesting to do so. It is polite. I do not wear a mask if I am outdoors, & have not in the past year. Nobody gave me the stink eye either.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:02 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,138 times
Quote:
If I choose to, yeah. I also enjoy the anonymity. My wife may wear one for an extended time as she is not hassled for being - oh great peril! - Asian.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
There are so many sheep and snowflakes you'd think we were on a New Zealand mountain pasture in July.

Sheep
If you put on a mask after the government made it mandatory, and now you take it off because the government said it's okay, then how can you claim you are exercised your personal "freedom"?

Grumbling about following orders and taking your mask off as soon as nobody is looking, or the CDC says you are "allowed" is still following orders. There are two types of people who aren't sheep: Smart ones who wore and keep wearing masks for the duration of a respiratory pandemic--regardless of government manipulation--and stupid ones who didn't wear a mask come hell or high water. I respect both types for different reasons.

March 2020: Government says: "Don't wear a mask." Did you follow orders and not wear a mask?
July 2020: Government says: "Wear a mask." Did you follow orders and EVER wear a mask?
April 2021: Government says: "Don't wear a mask." Are you following orders and taking your mask off?
Great post. I have a related March 2020 anecdote that I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around. At the time there was a mask shortage in the USA and one of our business partners from China heard about this and offered to express mail enough masks for everyone in our company and all of our families. (Regardless of anyone’s opinion of masks, that was a nice gesture.) I let our company know, and I was taken aback by the response. Literally half of them were telling me NOT to accept the masks and to ask them to send them to a hospital instead (none of them even mentioned a specific hospital). We are in the SFBay Area by the way. I let these people know that we will be accepting the masks and if they really wanted to send some to a hospital, they are welcome to claim their own allotments and give them to the hospital themselves. None of them did. (A couple people who legitimately wanted the masks told me they even felt bad for taking them after the reaction from the virtue signalers. SMH)

Quote:
Snowflakes
I've had two people, of different political stripes, in as many days whine to me about the "looks" they're getting. Are people so extra and fragile, these days, that they melt when someone dare turn eyes upon them? Talk about overly sensitive! Do the rest of us now need sensitivity training in Critical Political Theory so we don't bruise the latest flurry of fragile snowflakes with our eyeballs?
Oh boy, don’t get me started on this one either. I know people who basically declare a national holiday any time anyone says anything offensive on Twitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California