Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2023, 12:52 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
And yet there are still the defenders of bad policies here.
Some even wanted more restrictions I guess because it’s cool.
Hey it’s only like a summer camp for kids right?
The kids are the ones I am concerned for mostly. They don't have enough life experience under their belt to discern fact from fiction or truth from lies. They need social connections and this really caused a lot of problems for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't worry, it will be. We still keep having wars. We've learned zero.
Nope. We don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Good for California! As of late February, our death rate from COVID-19 is quite a bit lower than many other states.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/
That's good news I'd be really interested to know how old these people were at the time of their death and if they had any underlying conditions. They rarely tell us that, though.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:08 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Not sure what to do, I have a good career, family and own a home but still may bail for another part of the state eventually. I really don’t want my offspring going to middle/high school here anyway.
I'd like to welcome you down to San Diego. Based on your posts here, you seem like the type of people we need moving in from the Bay Area and I think you'd be much more at home here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How more people are not bothered by that and still support and elect these people is beyond me. I guess they still don't realize they were duped and duped hard.
IDK, I think it's Stockholm syndrome to some extent. They really just think all of this theatre is keeping us safe, and now that we're out of it, they probably think all these clowns did a great job and kept us "alive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I actually created a meme that showed them tackling said surfer. It said, "Why aren't you in Costco like everyone else?".
Meme Lord

Old 02-24-2023, 03:26 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Those aren't the lies, though that narrative exaggerates the negatives of lockdown (for example, many people went out when they weren't supposed to and faced no recourse). Other than the false claim that restrictions didn't reduce spread, most of the lies are implied and about the virus not being a health threat or the vaccine instead the threat. Probably nobody here was ever sure the vaccine would end the pandemic (because, a few dumb statements aside, nobody knew if it would) and it's mostly crocodile tears on that subject.
Look, GH. I get it. You and I see things in different ways.

However, this continued discussion of mandatory vaccines, masking and restrictions you hold onto is unrealistic. There's been too much documentation proving that not everyone can take the vaccine. Too many statements by people who've experienced adverse effects of it. Too much evidence that the vaccine doesn't keep you from contracting it or passing it along to others. It's good if it works to lessen the chances of dying. I won't deny that but it's not 100% bulletproof. Each person should be their own advocate and not have it forced on them.

More importantly, it's time to stop calling people liars or that they're telling lies when they post a comment you don't like. Like I said, you may not like what's being said but it doesn't mean it's not true. No one exaggerated anything here.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:25 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's good news I'd be really interested to know how old these people were at the time of their death and if they had any underlying conditions. They rarely tell us that, though.
As noted in that article, we probably won't know anything about their age or medical history. They do state that the first person who died of COVID-19 back in February of 2020 was a supposedly healthy 57-year-old woman from San Jose with no preexisting conditions.

I think it's a huge accomplishment that California has kept its death rate as low as it has. We must have done something right.

"Despite the massive tally, the Golden State has the 11th-lowest death rate among states when accounting for population, 255.3 per 100,000 residents, according to data compiled by The Times.

By comparison, 10 states — Arizona, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Tennessee, West Virginia, Arkansas, New Mexico, Alabama, Michigan and Florida — have cumulative death rates of at least 416 per 100,000 residents."
-from the link in post #12524

Old 02-25-2023, 06:50 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
We are now three years into this.

I was last in California when the mandate to wear masks on airplanes was lifted (had to wear them on the way there, but not on the way back). Much of the rest of the country has moved on from the pandemic, so discussion of vaccines, lockdowns, mask wearing, future developments, what's what, who's right, who's wrong, hypotheses and theories on both ends, and general arguing no longer belongs on a LOCAL forum.

I'm sure there are Covid threads in POC to partake in.

Given that most of my moderating now occurs in this thread means it's time to go.

Isn't it cold outside? Tons of rain, and snow in weird places?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California