Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:52 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I get it - you're angry and have no sense of humor. Maybe I could knock the trees down with that heavy chip you carry on your shoulder.
Keep your day job. Comedian ain't it.

You can rent a brush hog would be the easiest way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 12:00 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Keep your day job. Comedian ain't it.

You can rent a brush hog would be the easiest way.
Oh I dunno, Angry ... I got a good chuckle out of his opening monologue.

Brush hogs are fun! Not sure they’d take out 3 year old size Alders? Alders where I am now, at 3 years, are pretty hefty at three years.

OP, what’s the diameter on average of your problem?

Old 05-25-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh I dunno, Angry ... I got a good chuckle out of his opening monologue.

Brush hogs are fun! Not sure they’d take out 3 year old size Alders? Alders where I am now, at 3 years, are pretty hefty at three years.

OP, what’s the diameter on average of your problem?
Looking at this growth chart
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_239806253

They would be what, 5 to 6 feet tall? You can rent some bigger self propelled hogs and also one PTO based on a tractor. The hard part ain't a killin it, it's keepin it killed. We used to just burn it but depends on where ya live. Round up is an option. Cutting it in August heat is another.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Looking at this growth chart
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_239806253

They would be what, 5 to 6 feet tall? You can rent some bigger self propelled hogs and also one PTO based on a tractor. The hard part ain't a killin it, it's keepin it killed. We used to just burn it but depends on where ya live. Round up is an option. Cutting it in August heat is another.
Yeah large tractor version might could do it. But as you say: they’ll be back. Even if you root them out, they’ll be back ... but not so much and not so fast ... you can keep up. Backhoe/trackhoe is still my advice.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
The problem is they are intertwined with other trees - its not even close to level land. The best idea may be to cut them low to the ground and then spray something relatively safe on the 3 inch diameter stump.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The problem is they are intertwined with other trees - its not even close to level land. The best idea may be to cut them low to the ground and then spray something relatively safe on the 3 inch diameter stump.
You can wait for a good heat wave around August then cut them one at a time. That will probably give you a year to see what comes back. Cut, spray with roundup and make sure it's not going to rain or else you'll kill the trees you want. Don't just spray all over, you have to spray each one you cut and make sure it's not windy when you do it.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:12 PM

175 posts, read 183,262 times
Quote:
I'm even voting Democrat this fall!
So you're one of the ones working hard to destroy California.

How do you look at the way this state is in and continue to vote democrat? Do you have some sort of mental disorder? (that's a serious question)

Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I see. You don’t want to clear the areas. You want selective thinning. All I can say is: alders don’t die when you cut them down.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
So you're one of the ones working hard to destroy California.

How do you look at the way this state is in and continue to vote democrat? Do you have some sort of mental disorder? (that's a serious question)
Good suggestions on how to clear alders!

Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You can wait for a good heat wave around August then cut them one at a time. That will probably give you a year to see what comes back. Cut, spray with roundup and make sure it's not going to rain or else you'll kill the trees you want. Don't just spray all over, you have to spray each one you cut and make sure it's not windy when you do it.
Roundup Please don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California