Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you follow the CA mandate on face coverings?
Yes 56 83.58%
No 11 16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I didn't see what you are reporting.

Re: Outside - in lines, etc, and basically only when you can't social distance.
The mandate was poorly written. What you are saying is no doubt the "spirit of the law," but it's not the "letter of the law." The mandate literally states that masks must be worn in public places (including outside, except on private property) "except for dining, drinking, and athletic activity."

It does not say "masks needed only when you can not stay 6 feet away from people." It says people cannot be outside in any public place (such as sitting on a park bench) without a mask, unless they are eating, drinking, or somehow exercising while sitting down. I was just looking it up, and it also says that masks are required when walking through a parking lot:

Quote:
Working in or walking through common areas, such as hallways, stairways, elevators, and parking facilities
https://www.newsweek.com/where-calif...exempt-1512198

I'm completely on board with the spirit of the law, but I don't know what they were thinking by writing the words in this extremely narrow way. It's idiotic to say a person can't walk across any parking lot without a mask. What if it is otherwise empty?

None of it matters anyway since it won't be enforced. A business can refuse to let you in without a mask, but no one's going to arrest you for sitting on a bench maskless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 09:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
It is no big deal. Yes as a good citizen. And to make people around me feel comfortable. With that said, I have ordered stylish black masks that claim to not fog my glasses!

The order only applies to indoor stuff and crowded beaches. Or riots. Not outdoor stuff where I live.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:28 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
No big deal to me either. If it helps even just a little, I'm for it.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
It's not a big deal. Avoid crowds, wear a mask when shopping, put hand sanitizer on, wash your hands. No big deal.

If 100% of people did this, we could eliminate the virus 2 weeks from now and we can put this BS behind us and life would go back to normal.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
The guidelines from the mandate

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
California is requiring people to wear masks in most indoor spaces and some outdoor ones as it fights the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The announcement was made by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday.

“Science shows that face coverings and masks work,” said Gov. Gavin Newsom. “They are critical to keeping those who are around you safe, keeping businesses open and restarting our economy.”

Here are details of the statewide guidance:

Where and when are masks required?
-- Inside or in line to enter indoor public spaces.

-- In hospitals, pharmacies, medical clinics or other healthcare offices.

-- While waiting for and riding public transportation, taxis or ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft. Drivers should also wear masks.

-- In work places that require interacting with the public, where food is prepared, packaged or delivered, or when sharing common spaces such as elevators and hallways.

-- In office settings where people cannot physically distance.

-- While outside if it's not possible to stay six feet away from others.

Who is exempt?
-- Children age 2 and younger.

-- People with medical, mental health or developmental issues that prevent it.

-- People who are deaf or have hearing loss and those who communicate with them if seeing someone's mouth is essential.

-- Workers who would violate workplace safety rules by wearing one.

-- People eating and drinking at restaurants.

-- People swimming, walking, hiking, biking, running or doing other outdoor activity where they can stay 6 feet from others.

-- People in jails and prisons, which have their own guidance on face coverings.
Just for completeness and accuracy so the "Karens" don't get all bunched up over someone not wearing a mask when they step outside their front door. Cuz I'm already seeing that nonsense on Nextdoor.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:10 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
I been ignoring it and will continue ignoring the mandate.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:32 PM

662 posts, read 1,282,259 times
I don't wear it in every situation when I probably should be, especially when I'm outside exercising. And sometimes I'll often take off my mask while I'm at my desk cubicle. So I'm not actually the most compliant person. But yeah, I think you should wear it as much as you can especially if you're talking to people or in crowded outdoor spaces. At least try.

You look at South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan, and they're enjoying life as close to normal likely because 99% of people are mostly compliant with face masks, and because courtesy for others is a big thing there. But here, we're struggling to keep numbers down because too many people refuse to wear it. And we can only get to their level if everyone is compliant, and that's not happening soon.

There's no good reason why at this point, we're still getting 30,000 infections a day. That's just stupid. We're not spreading it because people are walking around while visibly sick coughing all over the place. We're spreading it because so many people are unknowingly sick, asymtomatic, not wearing a face mask, and spreading it around to everyone.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:39 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I been ignoring it and will continue ignoring the mandate.
Pretty much everyone knows that. Posting it every hour or so isn’t impressing anyone.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:33 PM

21,866 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
"Yes" and "No" don't cover all the possibilities; you should have had a choice for "Other." I will continue to wear a mask inside public businesses and in somewhat congested outdoor areas (such as the farmer's market). I don't take public transportation. I do not intend to wear a mask every time I am outside but not actually "dining, drinking, or participating in athletic activity." For example, I think wearing a mask outside while sitting on a park bench, on a towel at the beach, or going to get the mail is ridiculous, but by the letter of the law this would be a requirement.
Most of those would not be required. If you're sitting on a park bench next to someone not part of your household you would need a mask. If you're sitting on a park bench in an empty park then you can reasonable maintain six feet of distance since no one else is in the park and a mask would not be required. I ride with a bandanna that if I get in a situation where I can't maintain separation such as if I want to run into a convenience store, crowded MUP (not really likely here), I can pull it up. I rarely use it but I have it in case.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Yes, we will because we're not *******s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California